Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2019, Yas Island - Race 21/21

Rate the 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Man of Honour
neJ5Dby.png
Yas Island
When was the track built?
In 2006, plans were announced to develop Yas Island, located just to the east of Abu Dhabi, into a new tourist destination, with a major part of the plans centring around a 5.5km race track. The diggers rolled into what would become the Yas Marina Circuit in May 2007, with the project completed by October 2009.
When was its first Grand Prix?
In 2009. The track debuted as that year’s Formula 1 season finale, with Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel winning from team mate Mark Webber and the already-crowned 2009 champion Jenson Button. Vettel would go on to secure his first title in Abu Dhabi a year later, amid much crying.
What’s the circuit like?
The Hermann Tilke-designed track is dominated by its 1.2km straight between Turns 7 and 8 – which, with slow-speed corners marking its beginning and end, makes it a honeypot for overtaking moves. Other highlights include the tricky run through Turns 15 and 16 into 17, which forces the drivers to brake hard with bags of lateral load still on the car.
Why go?
Yas Island was a blank canvas for developers to turn into a tourist attraction, and 11 years and $40 billion later, they’ve nearly finished doing just that. Seven hotels, Ferrari’s indoor theme park, a mall, a water park, a golf course, a beach, a concert arena and a nightclub, all framed by perfect Emirati weather. What more could you want?
Where is the best place to watch?
Assuming you can’t get a room with a trackside view in the spectacular whale-shaped Yas Hotel – or a berth in a boat’s cabin in the marina – opt for a spot in the West Grandstand, a great place to watch all the overtaking action into Turn 8. Or if you’re more there for the atmos, stick yourself in the Main Grandstand overlooking the start-finish straight and enjoy Abu Dhabi’s famed pyrotechnics. It might be worth trying to get a seat high up in whatever grandstand you choose, though, if you’re looking to keep out of the sun.

TV Times
Sky:
zNRF4zb.png
C4:
Saturday - 5pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 6.05pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
9ZtQXf4.png

Weather Forecast
wo2n6RV.png

2018 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-dhabi-grand-prix.77HnGB9kdyaywKoIGqqYaQ.html

WDC Standings
kxnjvwz.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
ScHsC6V.png

Practice 1
[to be added]

Practice 2
[to be added]

Practice 3
[to be added]

Qualifying
[to be added]

Race
[to be added]

Soldato
Cheers for another season of dedicated updates @Shimmy !

There are a few battles to still fight. Merc would love to end on a high, Ferrari would like to just finish, and Red Bull would like to get another win to give some real hope for 2020. The McLaren's can settle the qualifying battle on Saturday, and George Russell can complete a clean sweep of qualifying for the season.

Part of me would like Hulkenberg to leave on a high, but it will most likely be an unforgettable 12th place or similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for another season of dedicated updates @Shimmy !

^^This, great work dude. Thanks a lot. :)

An elusive podium would be nice for Hulk, but i really can't see it happening as that's a lot of reliability issues required from the teams above that they haven't really shown up until this point. Still, who knows? Hopefully we get an interesting race.

Soldato
I concur, great threading again @Shimmy, much appreciated.
Yep! cheers Shimmy, much appreciated indeed!
As always my first go to for session start times and a glimpse at the up coming weather. Also gotta say that although post numbers in these threads this season are generally lower again, however, there is a lot less bickering, fanboyism and inane ********, its still there but much less. Makes reading these threads much more enjoyable.

Soldato
I listened to the BBC F1 podcast for the first time in a while - what a load of guff! There was more irrelevant talk of christmas lights and food in Saudi Arabia then the upcoming race. I stopped listening to it because it was more about the presenters massaging their ego and getting air time than talking about F1. It hasn't changed.

Man of Honour
How is Vettel still driving that car? Surely he'll announce his retirement this weekend?

The new spec engine in Bottas' car is looking juicy.

@Shimmy I too concur, thanks for the threads this year.

Man of Honour
Could work out well for Merc to try out all the upgrades they've got planned for next years engine this weekend. Bottas will be a rocket ship. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get pole, despite the penalty.

Easily and he'll likely end up on the podium at the end of the race.

The Merc will be a beast next season.

Associate
@Shimmy Echo the previous posts, thanks again for these threads this season, really appreciated by many. :)

I am routing for Lewis to win this one. I think the days where Lewis perceptibly lost his Mojo after the job was done is no more. The hunger is clearly there and I do think it is down to the younger generation snapping at his heals which is driving him.

Man of Honour
@Shimmy Echo the previous posts, thanks again for these threads this season, really appreciated by many. :)

I am routing for Lewis to win this one. I think the days where Lewis perceptibly lost his Mojo after the job was done is no more. The hunger is clearly there and I do think it is down to the younger generation snapping at his heals which is driving him.

Yup, Hamilton is on it these days.

The new spec merc engine is looking good. Mercedes are looking in fine form going into the winter break.

Soldato
The new spec merc engine is looking good. Mercedes are looking in fine form going into the winter break.
That's a smoke and mirrors game isn't it. I wonder how much of that new spec engine they're even using. Everyone else is using last legs engines, you don't want to show your hand fully on a Friday, still tops both sessions.

Has Leclerc got a fairly new spec Ferrari engine too?

Soldato
Another complete new PU for Bottas overnight cos of a ‘pneumatic leak’......

Hmmm if one were churlish they might suggest this second new PU has different upgrades in to the first one ;)

Back
Top Bottom