Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sadly either way the FIA have ruined this.

It taints Max's win because it feels massively contrived - he was gifted that. It feels hard to respect that as a title deciding moment.

Equally if Mercedes pursued it legally and got it overturned, people aren't going to respect a title awarded to Lewis in that circumstance.

Masi / FIA have robbed us all of a genuine decider by intervening like that.
The least bad option if they wanted a show was to red flag it and have a 2/3 lap shootout.

Fact is if that was the 4th race of the season in Spain or something they'd have finished behind the safety car, but cos it was the title decider they played to a totally different rulebook.

Caporegime
Fixed the result? so Lewis let Max pass him then.

They fixed it by Masi making up rules on the spot, and not following the actual laws and regulations he should have been following and is paid to enforce.

Had the actual laws been followed ALL lapped cars should have been let past, which would immediately meant, the race would end under safety car.

Soldato
Lol what. Is that your argument.

I'm guessing you've finally googled what happened and its not in any way similar.

Nah I watched the race live.

Massa had 2008 won had it not been for some luck with rain on last lap for Lewis.

2021 Max gets the luck on the last lap.

Merry Christmas.

Associate
Actually wording says

"whilst the safety car is deployed unless it is for the purpose of changing tyres. 48.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car. whilst the safety car is deployed unless it is for the purpose of changing tyres."

That to me means all lapped cars, not just some.

Feel Mercedes have am extremely good case to call foul as rules were not followed properly.

And I believe it also says something like:

Once the last lapped car has overtaken the leader, the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

I'm no expert at interpreting these rules but it sounds like the race shouldn't have restarted.

Though this is also in the rules about safety cars and unlapping:

This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first safety car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.

Not sure how to interpret that!

Soldato
Masi does need to be chucked out IMO, no point in having a clearly better driver (in this race) lose due to a stupid decision that doesn't fit with every other time that rule has been used.

I'm a fan of sport being fair and transparent and this was neither, even the first corner, first lap decision I found questionable as Max should have been given the place back.

Soldato

Massa had 2008 won had it not been for some luck with rain on last lap for Lewis.

Merry Christmas.

This absolute farce is okay because the weather caught people out in 2008. Nice logic.

You are saying Hamilton fans didn't complain then, to who? God?

Caporegime
Not a chance in hell Jos would come over and congratulate Lewis :cry::cry::cry:

I agree but they are at different stages of live and careers, at the start of Lewis career he was happy enough to lie about an overtaking manoeuvre and have a team member thrown under the bus to keep him happy at McLaren. He doesn't seem that same person these days and neither will Max be in 15 years.

Soldato

Merry Christmas.

Because Hamilton stopped for better tyres and managed to overtake just enough people who didn't. That's not the same as what we just saw in Abu Dhabi.

Soldato
I dont follow F1 much at all. I heard on the radio this was the final race with Max and Hamilton on equal points. Winner takes all.

Decided to watch as it seemed like it could be a good race

As a complete F1 noob I thought that ending was absolutely ridiculous. No lapped cars to overtake....well that seems sensible! The race progression thus far has put HAM in that position and it only seems right and proper he retains said position after the SC exits. Will make for a damn fine effort from VER trying to make his way through the pack.

Oh wait...no. *shrug*

Soldato
Lewis was robbed. Quite obviously he was the fastest driver today, 5 laps to go and max couldn’t catch him, heck, mazepin could have overtaken Lewis on 1 lap old reds.

It was literally pure luck, god knows what the safety car games were??

Lewis, driver of the day & robbed of a deserved championship.

Shame max didnt win on skill, that would have been more interesting & i could have respected that.

Soldato
Not really, Hamilton bossed it from start to finish then a crash, then Max gifted a win.

Thanks. I'd say he lucked out rather than being gifted it, he still had to fight for it. I'm not a fan of either Max or Lewis so as a racing fan I was glad we didn't finish the race and season under the safety car.

But yeah unless you're Max's fan that decision to let only a few cars to unlap themselves does leave bit of a sour taste.

Anyway I think overall Max just about deserves the title. Yes he behaved questionably at times but he did have couple of his races ruined by mistakes by Merc drivers in which Lewis scored highly.

FIA has lot to work on over the off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom