Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's not a good look for Masi to have Horner saying "We only need one lap" and then suddenly throwing the safety car procedure in the bin to generate a racing lap.

Soldato
Glock stayed out on slicks in a wet race. What happened today was not following the rules. Hamilton was faster by quite some margin. The safety car won and the bent stewards won it for Max.

Yeah, no denying that and it's a moot discussion. We could argue Massa won more races, it lead to the points being changed to what it is today. etc. But Ham won the title.

This wasn't Latifi's fault and he shouldn't be made out to be a villain. It's on the FIA.

Soldato
I have to say I'd like them to take the FIA to F1 court and see action against this, but actually allow the result to stand an Max keep the WDC, but something needs to be done if the governing bodies own rules aren't followed the same way every time. Imagine playing chess, but you unsure what pieces will have their allowed moves to be changed during a match, and it's when you see check-mate in sight that they say, 'oh yeah your king can now move wherever it likes' it just doesn't happen in any other sport.

I am desperate for Formula-E to come back on TV!

Soldato
Amazingly delusional and the vast majority here would think the same. So you think Max drove better than Lewis today? And you think the safety car restart was handled properly despite the rules not being followed as written?
You know my position I'm really not sure why your asking more questions. Using this forum as a gage of credibility is a bit odd though given its location and user base.

Caporegime
It's not a good look for Masi to have Horner saying "We only need one lap" and then suddenly throwing the safety car procedure in the bin to generate a racing lap.

"We need one lap"

"Oh ok Christian, you've twisted my arm, we will just let the cars between Lewis and Max go by, then immediately bring the safety car in, even though its supposed to come in the following lap. Then Max can overtake Lewis on the last lap with fresh softs. Sound good?"

Associate
Completely agree.

I don’t think there was much wrong with Max’s overtake or the corner defence that followed to be honest. He took the inside line, led at the apex and kept to the track. The weave is the only thing I’d question. Not sure what can happen about that now though. I’m sure merc are protesting what can be though.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think anyone suggesting that the result will be changed after the fact are grasping at straws. The FIA do what they want for the most part and the result will stand.

They have been fantastically poor at being consistent when it comes to making decisions so this latest one is no different.

I doubt Mercedes will want to take this to a legal fight either. They will lose, it will cost them masses of money and ultimately they gain nothing and have so much to lose.

You can see how biased Verstappens fans are and trying to "steal" the drivers title from him will just invite animosity on the Mercedes name so they won't do it.

Caporegime
As I said have a watch of the Merc videos its why they make them. As I have already said, its a race of mitigating the risks and choosing the optimal strategy.

If Lewis had pitted he would have be been behind Max, based on the evidence of this track, the difficulty in passing in these aero cars, Max’s driving “standards” and Lewis having the faster car in clean air why would you pit?

All that is without FIA making the rules up as they go along! That’s why it was correct the call to stay out. Again listen through the Merc retrospectives on YouTube throughout the season if you want to know more.

It’s easy to be bold and brave when you’ve have nothing to lose.

Think the confusion is you're discussing the pit stops under the VSC.

In the initial post I was referring pitting early to cover Max being the ultimate mistake (see below). I don't understand where the risk is mitigated and you have abandoned the optimal strategy.
As a result these were the consequences (ignoring that VSC/SC occurred)
- Had to fight Checo (lost 8 seconds + take more out of Lewis' tyres)
- Had older tyres at the end of the race
- Could not take a free pitstop if a VSC/SC occurred

Them pitting to cover Max early was the largest mistake, had mediums with huge life left in them and dropped an 8 second gap because of being interfered by Checo.

Obviously Max blew it on lap 1 but even if he got track position there he has to pit and Lewis can win on med->hard alone.

Merc absolutely blew this race is Lewis loses

Caporegime
I think anyone suggesting that the result will be changed after the fact are grasping at straws. The FIA do what they want for the most part and the result will stand.

They have been fantastically poor at being consistent when it comes to making decisions so this latest one is no different.

I doubt Mercedes will want to take this to a legal fight either. They will lose, it will cost them masses of money and ultimately they gain nothing and have so much to lose.

You can see how biased Verstappens fans are and trying to "steal" the drivers title from him will just invite animosity on the Mercedes name so they won't do it.

But this isn't just a stewarding decision which could be subjective.

They just literally didn't follow the regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom