Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They couldn't have known that though. If they'd kept the cars behind they likely would have restarted the lap before, as Latifi's car and the debris had been cleared. Who knows what would have happened if there were two laps to go and Verstappen was on scuffed softs and Hamilton on worn hards. We can only hypothesise. Even if they had only raced one lap with the lapped cars still between them, it's still hypothetical.

Mercedes lost it because they had a window and instead chose hope or defence of a wounded soldier.

OH MY GOD.

I know they couldn't have known that. They still would have made the correct result, had the rules been followed though.

Soldato
If the rules had been followed, maybe you're right, but you can't change the result based on probability.

There is no probability though, if the rules had been followed (which they weren't) the safety car should have stayed out for another lap and the race would have finished under a SC. There is no probability to that.

The only probability part is are they going to overturn the result but we'll be waiting a while for that outcome I think.

Man of Honour
Here's a quote that's aged well...

Ross Brawn on 07 December 2021 said:
We don’t want to step over the line. We don’t want this championship to be decided by stewards’ decisions and to end up in the appeal courts or elsewhere, it must end up on the track in Abu Dhabi with the best driver winning.

Soldato
OH MY GOD.

I know they couldn't have known that. They still would have made the correct result, had the rules been followed though.
So you agree you're basing your argument on a hypothetical situation? I hope Mercedes have a better one if this does go further.

I seriously can't see what Mercedes expect here. Would I do the same in their shoes? Probably.

But I can't see how they can effectively penalise Red Bull for what was at worst incompetent race control.

Surely nobody expects them to change the result and declare the last two laps null and void?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Michael Masi will be getting sacked, if this is overturned. I’d bet my life on that.

Caporegime
So you agree you're basing your argument on a hypothetical situation? I hope Mercedes have a better one if this goes further.

The only hypothetical situation i am basing it on is the rules being followed.

Had Mercedes known about the new rule whereby only the cars between Lewis and Max would get moved out of the way, and that the safety car would come in on the same lap when that happens, they may have made a different decision.

Soldato
I don’t think the officials had any interest in ensuring that one specific driver won out over another but given all of the build up to this weekend and the obvious goals of Liberty, they will have been under pressure to put on a show, and a procession behind the safety car wasn’t going to cut it.

It’s clear that for the future there needs to be a change to safety car procedures to ensure that the race finishes at race speed, whether that’s by adding laps or by having an enforced red if they are behind the safety car with a couple of laps to go.

As for this weekend, once it became apparent that the championship was going to be determined by whether we had a restart or not the officials were on a hiding to nothing, they were going to take flak whatever the outcome.

Regardless of the legitimacy of any merit the Mercedes appeals might have I can’t see the powers that be allowing them to stand as dragging this on is just going to make the sport look worse. Just don’t be surprised if something happens over the next season or two that redresses the balance.

Soldato
Michael Masi will be getting sacked, if this is overturned. I’d bet my life on that.
He needs to be sacked regardless of the outcome, he isnt suitable for the job.

I dont think its right to change the result now, it'll just make F1 look like even more of a circus. The result should stand but, FIA have a lot to answer for, Masi needs to go and an overhaul of how things work at race control needs to happen because it just isnt working.

Soldato
The only way F1 gets any sort of credibility back is for the FIA to step in, sack Masi, admit that the rules were not followed, and declare the race results from the lap before the safety car was called.

Man of Honour
They should ban pit stops during safety cars. I know it can help spice up a boring race, but it can also lead to injustice like this.

Give over; its not the pitting under the safety car that's the issue here - frankly without that we could end up with some utterly dire races; its a throw of the dice strategy wise normally.
The issue is the way its been dealt with at the end of this race; lets not chuck the baby out with the bathwater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom