Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Transmission breaker
Don
This is the strongest post race argument I have ever seen. It's written into the rules specifically that what happened was not supposed to happen.
It's black and white.
They either fudge this to say "race director has ultimate disgression" which essentially make the rules more like "guidelines" going forward. Which is going to cause a nightmare and open up a large can of worms.
OR they agree Masi dropped the ball, overturn the result and he walks the plank.

Soldato
The correct procedure (once they'd got past the window of red flagging the race and committed to only the safety car) was to have 1 lap of racing and don't let the lapped cars by.

If you're following the rules as it looks like they're written that would have been fine.

Hearing the FIA/Team radio this season has been a double edged sword, it's fun to hear the behind the scenes stuff but it's also peaked behind the curtain at some of the **** that goes on!!

Soldato
Surely we are at the point where technology/AI can interpret the rule book in real time as the race is going on and recommend appropriate actions to the race director and the team. Take most of the human error out of it.

Hopefully from this they also bin the backmarkers unlapping themselves rule too as its just a waste of time.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
The race director should be treated and should enforce the treatment akin to rugby referees, not football referees that we have seen this year. Their word is law (as long as they are following the agreed rules) and thats the end of it - argue with them and risk being sent off.

Soldato
Not everyone forgetting Toto telling Masi earlier in the race not to change the VSC to a SC.

I agree that shouldn't really be allowed if it can be banned. I think no one should be able to debate with the race director on what should happen.

If the race director asks for input, like when the track is wet or on safety decisions like debris on track, people should be allowed to talk to them.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’m fine with the team > FIA radio.

My issue with it is more one of tone. It shouldn’t be an outlet for teams to complain to the FIA. It should purely be for clarification.

All teams could learn a lesson from Rugby. Talk to the referee and whinge like they do and you’d be off.

The FIA definitely need to redefine what the channel is for and make it clear in no uncertain terms that any abuse of it will result in sanctions.

Edit: even Max and his engineer calling out favouritism on the radio should warrant a fine. Same as Lewis did in brasil.

Caporegime
The correct procedure (once they'd got past the window of red flagging the race and committed to only the safety car) was to have 1 lap of racing and don't let the lapped cars by.

If you're following the rules as it looks like they're written that would have been fine.

Hearing the FIA/Team radio this season has been a double edged sword, it's fun to hear the behind the scenes stuff but it's also peaked behind the curtain at some of the **** that goes on!!

Masi just made up his own rule because any decision within the rules meant Max loses.

Max was the only one who had lapped cars cleared from him for goodness sake. It couldn't be any more obviously unfair (and not just to Lewis either, but those behind Max as well).

Soldato
Not everyone forgetting Toto telling Masi earlier in the race not to change the VSC to a SC.

Yeah, that was the worst thing we've heard all season since it's a TP directly trying influence the safety of Marshalls and other stakeholders.

Charlie Whiting has been massively missed this year.

For all we know he was just as bad and Massi has learned from him. Massi actually has less to do than Charlie as they broke up Charlie's job a little after he went.

Soldato
I have been thinking about Masi.

The rules have been broken we know that much.

But also thinking about the way he has been speaking to RB and Merc, whenever he speaks to RB he talks as if he has an obligation to them, and that doesnt sit right with me, especially when they tell him to get lapped cars out the way, he replies in a manner as if he is obliged to do it and just tells them to wait. I wonder if in 10 years time it will be talked about as the Masi that got paid off, its bizarre.

Soldato
Masi just made up his own rule because any decision within the rules meant Max loses.

Max was the only one who had lapped cars cleared from him for goodness sake. It couldn't be any more obviously unfair (and not just to Lewis either, but those behind Max as well).

Seriously doubt he was trying to stop Max losing that is just pure conspiracy. More likely he is trying to appease his bosses by 'putting on a show'

I have been thinking about Masi.

The rules have been broken we know that much.

But also thinking about the way he has been speaking to RB and Merc, whenever he speaks to RB he talks as if he has an obligation to them, and that doesnt sit right with me, especially when they tell him to get lapped cars out the way, he replies in a manner as if he is obliged to do it and just tells them to wait. I wonder if in 10 years time it will be talked about as the Masi that got paid off, its bizarre.

Not really, I've heard him be a little sarcastic to both of them throughout the season. I think it's all in your head.

Caporegime
So the rule that Masi ‘broke’ isn’t really covered. The rule says
‘"If clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams, any cars that have been lapped by leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car."

Those words never appeared on the official messaging system so the rest of the rule is the ignored.
Now they need to decided if there is a rule that allows for only x amount of cars to pass under the safety car.
Sainz should also have been free to attack Max as well but cars in between him and Max weren't allowed to overtake either. It was wholly manufactured to give us one lap of racing. Ferrari and anyone else affected by this should also be protesting at the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom