Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What amazes me, is that does Masi not have rule advisors on hand/next to him during the race? Did no one say "um, you obviously can't do that as it isnt the rules and is obviously unfair"?

Those things might have been said, but we dont know as the stewards dont have microphones.

For me Masi needs to leave the sport.

Caporegime
imho it should be like stoppage time in football, the race clock/laps are stopped then they drive behind the safety car until track clear then complete the race distance.

Would never work, get a race like last weekend, with so many SC's VSC's, no one would finish, as they would all run out of fuel.

Soldato
Would never work, get a race like last weekend, with so many SC's VSC's, no one would finish, as they would all run out of fuel.

The legal options were basically.

End the SC lap before end of race but lapped cars cannot unlap.
Allow "all" lapped cars to unlap, end race under SC as it cannot be brought in until a lap after unlapping.
Call red flag, and then resume race when car cleared.

Caporegime

Allow lapped cars to unlap, end race under SC.

Indeed, and whilst that would have been unlucky for Lewis still perhaps, those are within the rules so fair is fair.

Its the fact a rule was just arbitrarily made up to give Max the win.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They do however red flag if they think the SC would last too long, which they could have done if they wanted a contrived shootout.
Yup. As I said earlier, they could have done two things to have the same net effect:

Red flag, clean the crash and let them race.

Don’t allow back markers to overtake, pull the SC in and let them race.

Associate
I think given Lewis's own magnanimousness and for the good of the sport, Masi needs to hold up his hand and take full responsibility and resign immediately.

Still feels dirty though.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Strikes me as though, going forward, we need something akin to the green-white-chequered rule from US racing. Get a full course caution in the closing laps, and the race is extended to get two laps of green flag racing.

Man of Honour
Article 48.8 protest dismissed.
Protest filed by Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team against Car number 33, driven by Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing Honda)

Stewards Decision:

The Protest is dismissed.

Procedure:
1. On December 12 the parties were summoned at 1945 hrs (Documents 52 and 53) and heard. The following persons were present during the hearing.

On behalf of Mercedes:
‐ Ron Meadows
‐ Andrew Shovlin
‐ Paul Harris (Team Legal Counsel)

On behalf of Red Bull:
‐ Jonathan Wheatley

2. At the hearing there were no objections against the composition of the Stewards panel. The parties set out oral arguments and addressed the questions asked by the Stewards.

3. At the hearing the parties referred to the documents submitted. None of the parties submitted further evidence or initiated the hearing of additional persons or conducting further investigations.

The claims of Mercedes:

Mercedes claimed that Car 33 overtook Car 44 during the Safety Car period at 1832hrs, in breach of Article 48.8 of the 2021 Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Red Bull’s arguments in defence:

Red Bull argued that Car 44 was not “overtaken” by Car 33, that both cars were “on and off the throttle” and that there were “a million precedents” under Safety Car where cars had pulled alongside then moved back behind the Car that was in front.

Conclusions of the Stewards :

The Stewards consider that the protest is admissible.

Having considered the various statements made by the parties. The Stewards determine that although Car 33 did at one stage, for a very short period of time, move slightly in front of Car 44, at a time when both cars where accelerating and braking, it moved back behind Car 44 and it was not in front when the Safety Car period ended (i.e. at the line).

Accordingly, the Protest is dismissed and the Protest Deposit is not refunded.

Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Chapter 4 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.

Soldato

Allow lapped cars to unlap, end race under SC.

What if they choose to end the race under the SC. The SC peels into the pits, Max overtakes lewis under the safety car and takes the flag by more than 30s.

How does that get dealt with. Normally it would be a penalty, but I believe 30s is the max time penalty they can give. Could they retrospectively black flag him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom