Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
But in this instance they only let a chosen amount of cars race. Those arbitrarily chosen by Masi, which is intensely problematic.

I fully believe it was panic because either they didn’t want to end under SC or because someone higher told them not to let it end under SC. They’ll obviously double down on the decision though.

Associate
Christian Horner himself has complained about lack of consistency. The stewards and Michael Masi can't pick and choose when to "let them race".

I wanted Max and RB to win; it’s been such a great season after so many dull ones, but this really ruined it; I feel for Lewis.

I wouldn’t even call the FIA bias, they’ve consistently made bad calls on both sides.

Soldato
I wonder what the reason MM decided to use his powers to alter the safety car rules in this race and not in all the other racers he has been race director? I understand why the rule for him to call or withdraw a safety car is there for legitimate safety reasons, but I'm not seeing why he has overruled standard procedures in this case. Several races over the past few years has ended behind the SC, does this set a precedent where as RD he can use the "over rule" button to alter the course of a race or championship without question or reason?

Soldato
There is nothing to agree or disagree with. It was objectively not within the rules and was just made up by Masi. Teams cannot make correct strategy calls if the race director is just going to make up rules on a whim that specifically penalise some drivers over others.

You seem to be mistaken in thinking this is even up for debate or to do with subjectivity/discretion. It isn't.

Well, decision has been made. Max is the champion.

See what the appeal comes up with.

Red Bull should appeal the stewards not telling Ham to give max the lead when Ham cut the corner MASSIVELY.

Soldato
I wonder what the reason MM decided to use his powers to alter the safety car rules in this race and not in all the other racers he has been race director? I understand why the rule for him to call or withdraw a safety car is there for legitimate safety reasons, but I'm not seeing why he has overruled standard procedures in this case. Several races over the past few years has ended behind the SC, does this set a precedent where as RD he can use the "over rule" button to alter the course of a race or championship without question or reason?

As said via the dismissal:

"The Race Director also stated that it had long been agreed by all the Teams that where possible it was highly desirable for the race to end in a “green” condition (i.e. not under a Safety Car)."

Soldato

Red Bull should appeal the stewards not telling Ham to give max the lead when Ham cut the corner MASSIVELY.

Are you being obtuse on purpose or are you blind?! Max barely made the corner himself after his lunge… where did you expect Hamilton to go, apart from off the track?

Soldato
Decision was made. Max won. Simple really. Obviously any non biased F1 supporter is going to disagree with it. Unless it was on the other foot.

What needs to happen now, is to make sure the rules are clear and concise next year.

FTFY.

The problem is this decision has massive repercussions on the whole sport. If the race director can, apparently at his whim and with seemingly no need to justify it, decide to do something different and not follow the rules as written then you no longer have a sport.

Can we dig up Jean Marie Balestre and re-instate him? As at this point I think he’d be better than Masi.

Associate
As said via the dismissal:

"The Race Director also stated that it had long been agreed by all the Teams that where possible it was highly desirable for the race to end in a “green” condition (i.e. not under a Safety Car)."

Don't need cars to unlap for "green" condition. The bit that makes no sense is why only cars infront of max were told to unlap themselves

Gog

Gog

Associate
I want to be happy for Max but wow the FIA are a complete shambles, and its completely overshadowing it for me. I'm not one for cancel culture but I really don't see how MM's position can continue to be tenable. Would be interesting to hear what the other teams think on the matter but I suspect they're just going to keep quiet publicly.

Soldato
I could see mercedes throwing a hissy fit and pulling out of F1 completely, engines and all.

It's not like F1 is actually innovating anything for the future. Hell all new cars from 2030 need to be electric, why waste limited r&d money on developing ICE systems and aero that would never work on the road

Could see mercedes move to endurance or do a VAG and pull out of Motorsport entirely

Soldato

No they shouldn't. The reason we've all heard was more than reasonable. The only difference is that Lewis could have slowed down a bit more than he did but either way Max was never going to get past Hamilton without forcing him off the track.

Are you being obtuse on purpose or are you blind?! Max barely made the corner himself after his lunge… where did you expect Hamilton to go, apart from off the track?

Max made the corner fine, it was forcing Ham off the track by diving into the corner that was the problem.

Don't need cars to unlap for "green" condition. The bit that makes no sense is why only cars infront of max were told to unlap themselves

Up until today we all assumed that but the regulations state 48.12 "any lapped cars" technically doesn't mean "all cars" and that article 48.13 which notifies teams of the safety car coming in doesn't mean once all lapped cars have overtaken or has to be on the following lap as article 15.3 gives the race director Michael Masi control over the safety car.

You can see why it's a ***** show.

Soldato

If they do appeal it, we can use Brazil as the exact same example. During the race it was deemed no investigation necessary. They need new evidence to appeal that. They won't find any to warrant reopening this. Plus the deadline for appeal has passed anyway to raise it after the race? More to the point, Max forced him off track... Again.

Soldato
He left the door the wide open, and Max took the line.

Shame Max couldn't leave any part of the track for Lewis.

Not to drive into the distance and gain advantage would be a start. Going into that corner he was 2-3 car lengths ahead, when he re-joined the track he was ahead by about 10. He should have at least slow down.

He did slow down, personally I don't think he did enough but given Lewis' pace at the time it wouldn't have changed anything.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

He left the door the wide open, and Max took the line.
There was no line. He dived up the inside at an angle you’d never use for that corner, essentially stopping because he slammed on so hard.

Nevertheless, it was lap 1… there were plenty of other laps for max to come back with the softer tyres and he couldn’t.

Save for the dodgy restart at the end Lewis did the business today.

I’m surprised Lewis left the door open on that final lap. Giving max the opportunity to go down the inside was crazy, at least if he’d covered the inside he could have tried to force him wide in defence. I guess he knew the the writing was on the wall.

Associate
Just leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. Today was supposed to be the decider. Hamilton turned up and was clearly faster, you could be a bit annoyed if he wins and argue over that lap 1 incident

Instead we get a SC that ends in an unprecedented way seeminly on one guys call with the justification "that's motor racing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom