Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
But how was that fair on Sainz? He had two backmarkers between him and Lewis. Sainz could’ve finished 2nd if they had unlapped themselves as well..

Also, the safety car is supposed to do another lap. It’s all such BS.
Sorry, but it’s indefensible.

It looks that way yes, but, MM had the authority. Check out the rules! Even the SKY F1 team are saying the same thing.

Soldato
Lewis had so much to lose at that stage. Why risk an aggresive overtake against the team mate of the guy you are fighting for the title. It is the last race no second chances.

Yeah but it was the last lap, leaving the door wide open just seemed rather strange, perhaps he was resigned to it being lost.

Soldato
It looks that way yes, but, MM had the authority. Check out the rules! Even the SKY F1 team are saying the same thing.

He would also have authority to give Mazepin a sympathy 1 minute headstart because he has 'overriding authority' of the starting procedure.

Would you find that equally tolerable?

Because it's equally 'legal' under the same rule.

Associate

That does not make it right. You have one rule which states one thing, then you have another rule which overides it and states something else and finally the cherry on the cake another which states the RD aka M. Masi can do whatever he deems fit. So tell me what is the point of the rules when Masi can override the whole lot and do as he sees fit in the name of safety aka the TV show?

Soldato
Yeah but it was the last lap, leaving the door wide open just seemed rather strange, perhaps he was resigned to it being lost.

It's not strange at all, it was probably the best way to have a chance at beating Max to Turn 9 (which he was close to doing but not close enough), which is the key place to be ahead in the lap (as Perez's very good defense showed perfectly), as overtaking after that turn is much much harder.

If he'd defended hard into T5, he'd likely have compromised his own exit speed, had Max leave him for dust away from the exit of T5 after taking a wider entrance with much better traction and then be nowhere near enough to pressure him in 6 or 7 or subsequently slipstream him down to 9.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If you want to go by the stewards ruling, they also admitted that they didn’t fully apply one of the rules. That in itself will bite them in the arse.

Oh, and Red Bull arguing any =! all. That was decidedly absent from their statement.

Any cars that have been lapped…. How does that NOT refer to all cars that were lapped? I look at legislation for a living and I’m struggling to see how you’d argue that any lapped cars can only mean those between p1 and p2. If Schumacher has been lapped, he’s one of those ‘any’.

Associate

I was referring to the Perez defence. But in relation to the Max last lap fight he had 46 lap old hards against new softs and he was always going to brake earlier due to severe lack of grip. Max + his usual dive bomb tactics and fresh rubber = game over for Lewis and that is how it played out.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’ll admit that when I saw Hamilton get a tow, I believed for a moment he could pass but I expected it to end in tears and a collision.

Soldato
What about his style exactly? Running people off the road? Brake testing people? Weaving?

If Hamilton did that I wouldn't be a fan.

Running people off the road? Silverstone this year
Brake testing people? Azerbaijan 2017 - think he was cleared after they reviewed the data but watching it live it did look like he did
Weaving? Malaysia 2010 - can't remember what the rules on weaving were back then but he certainly did.

Take it you're no longer a fan? ;)

I'm not saying he's a dirty driver but pretty much all the F1 drivers, especially those fighting for titles, at some point in their career do some stupid things.

Associate
I just want Masi gone really.

There's no way he knew the **** show he was about to create and I doubt he knew the rules inside out enough to know he had a get out card when it kicked off.

He basically collapsed under pressure and has managed to bring the sport into disrepute while 7 million or so people watched.

The FIA won't admit he and by extension they got it wrong, but they can ask him to step down during the winter when the heat has passed.
The problem is that if he is sacked or resigns, it's basically an admission by the FIA or himself that he messed up, so unfortunately he could well be race director next year.

He didnt make up the rule on the last lap! Check out the official statement.
Wrong, the argument that he has overriding authority to change the rules as he pleases would be laughed out of court and isn't worth the paper it is written on. Even Michael Masi himself agrees that he made up the rule...

2020 Eifel GP....
"The delay in ending the Safety Car period happened because of the length of time it took to wave the lapped cars through", said Masi.

There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars passed. So from that point it was position six onwards that were still running. Between 10, 11 cars had to unlap themselves. And therefore the Safety Car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.” - Michael Masi

Soldato
If you want to go by the stewards ruling, they also admitted that they didn’t fully apply one of the rules. That in itself will bite them in the arse.

Oh, and Red Bull arguing any =! all. That was decidedly absent from their statement.

Any cars that have been lapped…. How does that NOT refer to all cars that were lapped? I look at legislation for a living and I’m struggling to see how you’d argue that any lapped cars can only mean those between p1 and p2. If Schumacher has been lapped, he’s one of those ‘any’.

That’s failing to mention Article 15.3 doesn’t give the Race Director overriding authority over the safety car and any and all regulations on it. It only gives the Race Director overriding authority over the clerk of the course decisions on the safety car.

Soldato
Running people off the road? Silverstone this year
Brake testing people? Azerbaijan 2017 - think he was cleared after they reviewed the data but watching it live it did look like he did
Weaving? Malaysia 2010 - can't remember what the rules on weaving were back then but he certainly did.

Take it you're no longer a fan? ;)

I'm not saying he's a dirty driver but pretty much all the F1 drivers, especially those fighting for titles, at some point in their career do some stupid things.

So here we go:-
Silverstone - Let them race for the love god:o He understeered ring any bells? Max could have easily avoided that and lived to fight another day.

Brake testing telemetry showed he didn't

Weaving the rules have changed since significantly then.

I'm still a fan :cool:

The big thing you missed though is Lewis used to be like Max but he had good people around him telling him where he could improve. Hand on heart can you honestly say the same thing about Max? You first need to realise you are doing things wrongly before you can change :o

Soldato
Not sure how some people think this was a fair call when it was a very selective call. How about the other cars that couldn’t un-lap? Guess that doesn’t make a good Netflix series :D

Soldato
Away from the result; Channel 4 averaged 3.4 million viewers on Sunday; peaking at 4.375 million at one point; I wonder how that compared to the figures watching Sky....

Think in interview with Johnny Herbert they mentioned 9 million people watched the race, that might have been combined number.

The big thing you missed though is Lewis used to be like Max but he had good people around him telling him where he could improve. Hand on heart can you honestly say the same thing about Max? You first need to realise you are doing things wrongly before you can change :o

I've not missed anything, it was just bit of fun to show that drivers do stupid things during their career. As for whether Max will change or not, we'll have to wait and see. It doesn't look very likely but now that he's got the title he may calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom