Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
What has happened here will be the death knell of F1.

What angers me the most is the way it has been totally ignored and swept under the carpet by the media. Thank god we have social media these days that cannot be silenced.

Perhaps they should embrace it.

At the last race of every championship we get "Masi's Power Hour", where for an hour he can make up as many rules as he likes for the lulz.

Don
That's what I find most shocking. I can almost understand not persevering with it if it was just a win in isolation. This win gave away the flipping championship which they had taken from them for no fault of their own and just following the rules placed out.

Look at the bigger picture, Mercedes still won the manufacturers championship so still get their preferred place on the grid next year and their prize money.

Lewis is already a 7-time champion, and three days after the botched race he received his official Knighthood.

I guess they've just decided there are more important things in life than fighting pointless battles, as it doesn't actually "change" anything for them in the future except the last record of 8 championships.

The more graceful decision is to walk away and protest peacefully (like refusing to attend the awards ceremony).

Caporegime
Look at the bigger picture, Mercedes still won the manufacturers championship so still get their preferred place on the grid next year and their prize money.

Lewis is already a 7-time champion, and three days after the botched race he received his official Knighthood.

I guess they've just decided there are more important things in life than fighting pointless battles, as it doesn't actually "change" anything for them in the future except the last record of 8 championships.

The more graceful decision is to walk away and protest peacefully (like refusing to attend the awards ceremony).

I would be surprised if it didn't lose them a collosal amount of advertising revenue.

Soldato
Personally, the ceremony boycott doesn't sit well with me, especially after the statement that they're dropping their appeal.

By all means engage in the inquiry and push for reform (and replacing Masi) but not attending the event just feels like sour grapes.

They've already officially congratulated Max and Red Bull in their written statement, so why can't they do it in person?

Caporegime
Personally, the ceremony boycott doesn't sit well with me, especially after the statement that they're dropping their appeal.

By all means engage in the inquiry and push for reform (and replacing Masi) but not attending the event just feels like sour grapes.

They've already officially congratulated Max and Red Bull in their written statement, so why can't they do it in person?

Are they not entitled to have sour grapes?

I'd be eating every sour grape i could find.

Don
With some of the other questionable decisions we've seen this year, I'd take a bet on Hamilton seriously not considering coming back to F1 at all, or at the very least retiring after 2022 and handing over to Russell.

He certainly doesn't need the money and could focus on his other racing projects.

Soldato

Yes but now he is only a seven time world champion when everyone who watched the race know damn well he should be 8 x World Champion.

What's to say he never wins another race again? That could well have been his last opportunity to attempt to break the record and it was taken away from him unfairly.

I'm petty but I wouldn't mind if Max never got another WDC and had to deal with the repercussions of this for a few more years.

Soldato
There will forever be an asterisk next to this years title.

Max really didn’t want it this way either and whilst he may show a smug exterior on the outside he’ll be gutted, disappointed and shamed with what happened

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Id love to see him take on a mentor role and allow George to win the WDC. Would be interesting to see Max being frustrated by Lewis playing that wingman role.

Caporegime
Good interview with Toto here -

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/12/16/wolff-angry-in-disbelief-pain-as-he-expands-on-f1-finale/

“Yes indeed, we believe we had a very strong case,” he said. “If you look at it from a legal side if it would have been judged in a regular court it is almost guaranteed we would have won. But the problem with the ICA is the way it is structured. The FIA can’t really mark their own homework. And there is a difference between being right and obtaining justice.”

He understood why some observers may be questioning why Mercedes has backed out of an appeal.

“I can understand the frustrations of many and to be honest, I am also in two minds between my perspective and my judgement on the legal position, and my realism of the outcome of such proceedings,” he said.

“As I said before, there’s a difference between being right and obtaining justice. And I don’t think that at the moment we are set up, in terms of our governance, to end up in a situation that would have given us remedy, that would have reinstalled a result that was taken away from Lewis before the last lap of the race. And that’s why, heavy-hearted, we have decided not to appeal because we wouldn’t have got the result. Now I think we have the right tools in hand to make sure that the decision-making going forward is better and we will be holding the FIA and the decision-makers accountable for making the sport and the decision-making more robust and consistent.”

Sounds like he absolutely wanted to appeal but knew it was utterly pointless as it would have been a kangaroo court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom