Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

As much as I want next year to see more teams competing at the front, I hope Merc and Red Bull come out with a race winner.

The world needs a rematch and the opportunity for both teams to go at it again. Yes, it'd be nice if McLaren are up there but both teams will want to stamp their mark on the championship... I'm sure Max doesn't want to run the #1 on his car and finish P5 in the championship :p

Soldato
As much as I want next year to see more teams competing at the front, I hope Merc and Red Bull come out with a race winner.

The world needs a rematch and the opportunity for both teams to go at it again. Yes, it'd be nice if McLaren are up there but both teams will want to stamp their mark on the championship... I'm sure Max doesn't want to run the #1 on his car and finish P5 in the championship :p

Agreed, the last thing I want is one dominant team, need atleast both RB and Merc as close as this season again, but deep down I want 4 teams in contention because that would be even more epic.

Here's to hoping McLaren and Ferrari can fight it up at the top of the grid too.

Soldato
There has never been an asterisk against any previous WDC titles, this one will be no different.

Max is a WDC and that's that.

Not a literal asterisk no but it will be hard to talk about this season without mentioned this. Just like '97 is rarely mentioned without Schumacher's cheating or '80 without talking about the crash and DSQ of Senna at Suzuka.

While it would be exciting season for them to be competing for the championship. I'd be equally as happy if Merc stomp it again and Hamilton walks an 8th title, maybe even 9 or 10 before he retires. Just to rub it in Red Bull's face that they can only win with assistance.

Caporegime
Strongly disagree, there were many incidents over the course of the season that can be argued that Max could have been WDC before Abu Dhabi.

Discretionary rulings by the stewards are in no way the same as a completely new and absurdly unfair rule made up on the spot by the RD.

The two things should NOT be conflated.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Strongly disagree, there were many incidents over the course of the season that can be argued that Max could have been WDC before Abu Dhabi.

Theres also incidents that could/should have cost Max points before the last race that he got away with which would have meant that Hamilton could have come second in the last race and still taken the title.

Plenty of ifs and buts on both sides of this.

Soldato

Ok, who would have won the title had Masi followed the rules, both laid down in black and white and followed for the last however many years, that the safety car would come in at the end of the following lap?

There's instances for and against both Verstappen and Hamilton; what if Hamilton had have gotten a harsher penalty for Silverstone? What if Verstappen had have gotten a penalty for Brazil? What if, what if, what if. The problem these are all open to opinion and we could argue about them until kingdom come. The safety car rules though aren't a subjective decision or opinion, the are prescriptive.

Soldato
There has never been an asterisk against any previous WDC titles, this one will be no different
I think most would agree that the end of this championship has been absolutely like no other, even when you get past the media frenzy/hype.

And there's at least what 4 overtakes Max did over Lewis that should have been penalised. Not to mention Baku, the gift of Spa an the other red flags that helped him massively. Horses for courses.

Soldato
Sounds to me that behind all this Lewis didn't want a court decided WDC on his record... Good on him. Hope he totally dominates next season.
For his legacy, Its better to have a "well it should have been 9 WDC's" rather than "yeah well he only got 9 coz of the courts"

Soldato
Mercedes just gave away all their bargaining chips here. They must have been given some assurances, otherwise why not proceed with the appeal. It can take weeks/months for it to be heard. In the meantime, if the FIA made changes or took action that Mercedes were happy with, they could have dropped it at that point. Surely if they now try and take it to any other court, they will simply say you never followed due process. I'm almost as disappointed they've abandoned the appeal as I was after Sundays race!

Asking the FIA to do anything is like asking a student to mark their own homework!

Soldato
Asking the FIA to do anything is like asking a student to mark their own homework!

Which was exactly Toto’s point and part of the reason they dropped the appeal. If the FIA are going to be judge, jury and executioner, they’re never going to find in favour of Mercedes, so why bother?

Better to try and work constructively via the commission, especially if they’ve received assurances of positive change.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't think Lewis should be given a knighthood but then I almost never think a celebrity or sportsperson should. They get paid obscene amounts of money to work a part time job which doesn't qualify you for a knighthood IMO. There are thousands of people in the UK that lead selfless lives of sacrifice to improve other peoples lives and they get little to no recognition and then someone who is worth hundreds of millions spends a bit of their (large amount of) free time to do some charity work and they get a knighthood.

In general the only people less deserving of knighthoods than sportspeople are actors. :p

Soldato
I don't think Lewis should be given a knighthood but then I almost never think a celebrity or sportsperson should. They get paid obscene amounts of money to work a part time job which doesn't qualify you for a knighthood IMO. There are thousands of people in the UK that lead selfless lives of sacrifice to improve other peoples lives and they get little to no recognition and then someone who is worth hundreds of millions spends a bit of their (large amount of) free time to do some charity work and they get a knighthood.

In general the only people less deserving of knighthoods than sportspeople are actors. :p
Knighthoods were always a joke, hospital staff deserve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom