Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Plenty of ifs and buts on both sides of this.

I think most would agree that the end of this championship has been absolutely like no other, even when you get past the media frenzy/hype.

And there's at least what 4 overtakes Max did over Lewis that should have been penalised. Not to mention Baku, the gift of Spa an the other red flags that helped him massively. Horses for courses.

I agree, but you can look back to just a few where Lewis was fortunate due to red flags, call it luck or whatever and where Max lost out. A few examples:

1. Italy - Lewis hits the wall and was set to come dead last, however had the luck of the red flag due to Bottas/Russell crash and allowing his car to be repaired, in the end gaining 19 points from potentially what looked to be a DNF.
  2. Baku - Verstappen set to bag 25 points before his tyre blew up (out of his control)
  3. Hungary - Hamilton takes 25 points and Max leaves with 0 after Bottas collides with both Red Bulls.
Just to name a few examples (there are more) there to iterate the point that it's been a season of so many swings and roundabouts.

Associate
I was hoping for another competitive season next year but now I'd also be very happy with Lewis and Merc absolutely destroying the others and winning with 5 races left. Just because it would really annoy liberty media who I'm sure had some involvement in the Masi call just to get ratings

Soldato
I agree, but you can look back to just a few where Lewis was fortunate due to red flags, call it luck or whatever and where Max lost out. A few examples:

1. Italy - Lewis hits the wall and was set to come dead last, however had the luck of the red flag due to Bottas/Russell crash and allowing his car to be repaired, in the end gaining 19 points from potentially what looked to be a DNF.
  2. Baku - Verstappen set to bag 25 points before his tyre blew up (out of his control)
  3. Hungary - Hamilton takes 25 points and Max leaves with 0 after Bottas collides with both Red Bulls.
Just to name a few examples (there are more) there to iterate the point that it's been a season of so many swings and roundabouts.

Lewis let Max off at Baku though by leaving his magic button on though.. You could also say Max got lucky at Russia(I think it was russia?!) when he threw the wets on before the others around him and got up to 2nd/3rd when he was about 7th or so.

Associate
No it wont. Max won, everyone has accepted it apart from you it seems.
Susie Wolff couldn't have put it any better: "Those who know, they know, even those who can't quite bring themselves to admit it."

For any neutral that watched the race it's clear Hamilton had it won until rules were bent on the last lap to gift it to Max, only the diehard Max fans have accepted it. No matter how much you try to convince yourself or troll others, you'll forever have the nagging truth in the back of your mind that he didn't really win it. Everyone lost from this farce including Max, even if he doesn't know it yet.

Man of Honour
I don't think Lewis should be given a knighthood but then I almost never think a celebrity or sportsperson should. They get paid obscene amounts of money to work a part time job which doesn't qualify you for a knighthood IMO. There are thousands of people in the UK that lead selfless lives of sacrifice to improve other peoples lives and they get little to no recognition and then someone who is worth hundreds of millions spends a bit of their (large amount of) free time to do some charity work and they get a knighthood.

In general the only people less deserving of knighthoods than sportspeople are actors. :p

You can say that with a straight face even after all the charity work and awareness he does?

Soldato
Susie Wolff couldn't have put it any better: "Those who know, they know, even those who can't quite bring themselves to admit it."
For any neutral that watched the race it's clear Hamilton had it won until rules were bent on the last lap to gift it to Max, only the diehard Max fans have accepted it. No matter how much you try to convince yourself or troll others, you'll forever have the nagging truth in the back of your mind that he didn't really win it. Everyone lost from this farce including Max, even if he doesn't know it yet.
Its hilarious how you and others are making this STILL about Max, yet Merc and Toto have clearly stated it has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Soldato
I was hoping for another competitive season next year but now I'd also be very happy with Lewis and Merc absolutely destroying the others and winning with 5 races left. Just because it would really annoy liberty media who I'm sure had some involvement in the Masi call just to get ratings

This is how I feel. I want Lewis to absolutely smash the championship next year just to prove a point.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I don't think Lewis should be given a knighthood but then I almost never think a celebrity or sportsperson should. They get paid obscene amounts of money to work a part time job which doesn't qualify you for a knighthood IMO. There are thousands of people in the UK that lead selfless lives of sacrifice to improve other peoples lives and they get little to no recognition and then someone who is worth hundreds of millions spends a bit of their (large amount of) free time to do some charity work and they get a knighthood.

In general the only people less deserving of knighthoods than sportspeople are actors. :p
Part-time job?? World-class athletes devote their lives to their sports. Their whole lifestyle is defined by their sport.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you ignore the hours spent training daily and only focus on time spent performing, I could see why someone would think playing sports is a part time job.

Its 100% a part time job for most elite sports people. Lewis does not work 9 hour days 48 weeks a year with 4 weeks holiday a year. Footballers do not train every day for 8-9 hours a day, that would just be stupid. No one thinks that footballers turn up on a Saturday and play for 90 minutes and then twiddle their thumbs the rest of the week but they don't work 40+ hour weeks. Same for F1 drivers.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Part-time job?? World-class athletes devote their lives to their sports. Their whole lifestyle is defined by their sport.

Most peoples lives are dictated by their jobs/work commitments, we just don't get paid millions for it... I don't exercise as much as I would like because I work too many hours. I don't have as much energy as I would like when I can exercise because I spend 9+ hours a day in front of a computer every day.

The very best sports people dedicate years of their lives to becoming the best, that doesn't mean that they work as many hours as the average person or that a big part of their dedication isn't diet and sleep / recovery. I would be more than happy to have to dedicate myself to that.

Soldato
I think most would agree that the end of this championship has been absolutely like no other, even when you get past the media frenzy/hype.

And there's at least what 4 overtakes Max did over Lewis that should have been penalised. Not to mention Baku, the gift of Spa an the other red flags that helped him massively. Horses for courses.

You mean the Baku where Max was miles ahead and had an unfortunate tyre failure, gifting Hamilton the chance at the win which he threw away?

You mean the Spa where all of the top 10 were awarded points, not just Max?

Did you forget about the red flag in Imola where Hamilton was lapped, had a damaged car, was allowed to repair his car AND unlap himself for free, ending up 2nd eventually when without the red flag he wouldn't even have scored points?

Associate
Why did lewis even get a knighthood, services to his own career/wallet.

Certainly wasn't for how much of a role model he is

0_FORMULA-1-ETIHAD-AIRWAYS-ABU-DHABI-GRAND-PRIX-2021.jpg

Soldato
The FIA are going to do ZERO and brush it under the carpet. Nothing will change - Masi will carry on doing what he likes and rules are still going to be pulled out of his rear end..

Soldato
As much as I want next year to see more teams competing at the front, I hope Merc and Red Bull come out with a race winner.

The world needs a rematch and the opportunity for both teams to go at it again. Yes, it'd be nice if McLaren are up there but both teams will want to stamp their mark on the championship... I'm sure Max doesn't want to run the #1 on his car and finish P5 in the championship :p
Na i think Hamilton will call it quits. i would!

Soldato
Lewis let Max off at Baku though by leaving his magic button on though.. You could also say Max got lucky at Russia(I think it was russia?!) when he threw the wets on before the others around him and got up to 2nd/3rd when he was about 7th or so.

If we're doing ifs and buts then you can say Lewis was lucky himself in Russia as he wanted to stay out like Lando and only reluctantly pitted when told for 2nd or 3rd time. If he did, then Max would have won that race. But that's why this season was so good as there were plenty of curve balls throughout.

Soldato
Did you forget about the red flag in Imola where Hamilton was lapped, had a damaged car, was allowed to repair his car AND unlap himself for free, ending up 2nd eventually when without the red flag he wouldn't even have scored points?

The Imola where Max shoved Lewis off the track at the first corner damaging his car?

He started the season driving dirty, and it only got worse as it went on.

Soldato
If we're doing ifs and buts then you can say Lewis was lucky himself in Russia as he wanted to stay out like Lando and only reluctantly pitted when told for 2nd or 3rd time. If he did, then Max would have won that race. But that's why this season was so good as there were plenty of curve balls throughout.
Last sunday wasnt a curveball mate!!!

That was mor elike playing one of the old codemaster f1 games, your 2nd with no hope of grabbing the win, u pause the game and u enter a special cheat code on console that makes your car magically have better tyres whilst destroying the drver that is 1st and u got one lap to easily overtake that car in 2nd gear if you wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom