Acceptable to hit someone with a whip when they're grabbing your horse?

Permabanned
Can someone clarify the fox hunting restrictions?

I didn't think the ban on hunting is a blanket ban but rather a ban on areas and methods of hunting, eg. number of dogs used and stuff.

It's complex and open to some debate. But the gist of hunting animals with dogs is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_Act_2004

I think what many protesters believe is a drag hunting (the hounds following the scent of an artificially laid trail by man), is used as a cover for running the hounds in an area where foxes are present with the real risk of the hounds picking up the scent of a real live Mr. or Mrs.Tod. It is almost impossible to call a pack off once they have the scent of a fox, they are triggered and won't stop until they catch it or are exhausted. The riders follow the hounds... As such it's all but impossible to police.

Soldato
It's complex and open to some debate. But the gist of hunting animals with dogs is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_Act_2004

I think what many protesters believe is a drag hunting (the hounds following the scent of an artificially laid trail by man), is used as a cover for running the hounds in an area where foxes are present with the real risk of the hounds picking up the scent of a real live Mr. or Mrs.Tod. It is almost impossible to call a pack off once they have the scent of a fox, they are triggered and won't stop until they catch it or are exhausted. The riders follow the hounds... As such it's all but impossible to police.

Thus why the protesters feel they should be collating any evidence of intentional, criminal fox hunting. Ergo, they ain't trespassing.

The protesters and the hunt will know this. But still, the hust chose to try to forcibly evict and one of their number ended up assaulting someone.

If you're going to forcibly evict anyone from anywhere, it's a good idea to do it properly and with the Police present as observers. It's a bad idea to charge them with a horse and then hit them with a riding crop. That way prison lies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Although i am not in favour of fox hunting but i think many activists misunderstand what exactly is illegal and their right to interfere in hunts.

Activists have to obey the law as does everyone else. I can be sympathetic with both parties. Activists can often be aggressive and threatening with the intention of being protective and righteous, especially after demonizing their opposition. People on a legal hunt will feel threatened and harassed by these people. The law is difficult to police and is not made any easier by the protesters.

Soldato
Although i am not in favour of fox hunting but i think many activists misunderstand what exactly is illegal and their right to interfere in hunts.

Activists have to obey the law as does everyone else. I can be sympathetic with both parties. Activists can often be aggressive and threatening with the intention of being protective and righteous, especially after demonizing their opposition. People on a legal hunt will feel threatened and harassed by these people. The law is difficult to police and is not made any easier by the protesters.

I agree. But on the available evidence, I think this woman should be corrected and an example made.

Permabanned
I think the clear solution here is to make foxes extinct in the UK.

You would annoy both the activists and the hunters in one move.

That would be quite a task without recourse to some sort of man introduced disease like myxomatosis used for rabbit control in Australia, which carries it own risking of mutation or crossing to other species like the domestic dog. There are a hell of a lot of foxes out there, many now in urban environments. i used to watch them scavenging on the railway line when waiting for a train in south Manchester, they were fearless of humans and becoming a real pest.

Caporegime
Sabbers: 'Fox hunting is illegal, we're going to sabotage it! We'll film everything because we have nothing to hide.'
Also Sabbers: 'Let's illegally trespass on other people's land, harass their horses, and wear balaclavas to hide our identity.'

:rolleyes:

Permabanned
pretty tofftacular in this thread..

B@

So it's a class thing to you is it? Not an animal cruelty one? Whilst far from defending fox hunting with hounds my experience locally is most that partake are working class, with a farming background. It may be different in the southern Shires, I don't know, but the few hunt people I know on first name terms are far from what I imagine you would define as "toffs".

Soldato
I don't care about fox hunting, but where's the evidence that there was an actual fox being hunted?

Correct it is said they were dragging a scented rag...

Drag hunting is routinely used as a cover for fox hunting. If the hounds go after a live fox instead of a hankerchief, it's not the hunters' faults surely? Basically you have a situation where there's an inherent alibi. Which is deliberate intention, of course. About the only way you can convict people of breaking the law short of them randomly confessing is to get in there with cameras and film them doing it. Which is what these people do.

Can't blame her for wanting that fella away from the horse. A spooked/panicking horse is likely to throw you off and end up with the rider getting a nasty injury. Not to mention seriously damaging anyone else around if it decides to kick out.

As plainly visible in the full clip, she rode at the sabber so your statement about "can't blame her for wanting that fella away from the horse" is demonstrably false.

What were the balaclavas about? Can't have felt that innocent if they were covering their faces.

Hunt sabbers not infrequently get doxxed, have their home addresses shared and then have been targeted. Covering your face does not show you've done anything wrong just that you are taking precautions against attacks.

Stealing from a peeps home, get caught says you were investigating them...

People dressing up in fox hunting gear and riding out with fox-hunting hounds on fox-hunting routes = pretty good grounds to suspect fox-hunting might be taking place. Walking across a field with a camera not a crazy response.
Person happens to live next door to you = not evidence of a crime in progress. Breaking into their home and prying around = crazy person response.

Your attempt to equate the two signifies that either you're a congenital idiot or you're being disingenuous. As you've apparently managed to turn your computer on today, I'm going with the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Can someone explain to me how fox hunting is illegal but still seems to happen all over the country with 0 consequence to those doing it? Or do I have it wrong?

EDIT: Just seen the Wiki article linked and am giving it a read.

Soldato
*** Quoted Post Removed ***

I see my post was aimed a little too high for you. Let me put it in terms more on your level then:

Hurt animals for fun - bad! Hurt animals for fun is crime. Okay stop bad things by filming them.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Can someone explain to me how fox hunting is illegal but still seems to happen all over the country with 0 consequence to those doing it? Or do I have it wrong?

Well the last time I recall someone being filmed whipping a protestor and it getting coverage it was princess Eugenie's god mother doing it so that might have something to do with it. The Royals are very pro-hunting and bizarrely still have a lot of pull in this country with the higher ranking police and government. So whilst widespread public outcry finally forced fox hunting to be made illegal, drag hunting was preserved and provides a legal fig leaf for actual hunting. Combine this with the tendency for police forces (whose local chief of police is often a drinking buddy of the hunt leaders) to avoid investigating or prosecuting people any way they can, and what you end up with is the government being able to say to the public "it's banned" with as little inconvenience to those who do it as possible. That's the short version.

Caporegime
I have gone back and watched it again and I'm not seeing that. Sure we don't know whet happens before the clip started, but when he lets go she doesn't exactly chase him. He also does not act like he is under any threat other than the whip and could have walked away at any point.

yes we do, I even posted to link to a longer clip so you could see what happened before the BBC clip started

Funny how there are always people filming an incident before it happens as if they were trying to stage it. Therefor it can be reported so it can be used to whip up the public for all the clicks and ratings. Then trending on social media for the ads and clicks then eventually big discussions on chat shows.

not really, they're filming the whole encounter as that is what they always do... the sabs and the hunters often go around with go pros strapped to themselves in case incidents like this happen, there isn't anything particularly unusual/funny about the filming

Reading the comments in here seems most people have only read the headline and not watched the full video.

indeed, that's generally the case with the general population and media stories... see also the thread about how supposedly MPs have ruled that animals can't feel pain

Is there evidence to this effect?

yes, I posted a link on page 2, the BBC in this case is rather biased and the daily mail has given a much more balanced picture

Will Countryside Alliance types get a good lawyer and repeal the anti-hunting laws now that animals can't feel?

not very relevant

I seen the full video and its more the same, the rider did NOT hit a woman it was the same smelly male peasant that harassed her twice.

???

no one claimed that the rider did hit a woman, the rider is a woman!

Back
Top Bottom