Access point VPN questions

Associate
Hi people
I'm looking at buying a second hand router and installing dd-wrt on it and running it as an access point in my home network alongside my Virgin media superhub.

I was wondering if it's possible to run a VPN service on this router/access point and if I was to do so could I have a Nas running directly off it and if so would I be able to access the Nas from outside the lan or would I need to have the Nas connected to my superhub for remote access?
Is it as simple as the VPN access point will have a separate IP address and I use this IP for remote access?
*Confused* :)
Cheers

Associate
Unless you're planning on paying for an extra static IP address you would set your superhub to port forward the VPN ports to the dd-wrt.
You should be able to use dyndns with the dd-wrt. It will then tell dyndns what your IP is, and you can use a your hostname on the dyndns domain to access the vpn so you don't need to know the IP, which may change.

Associate
OP
Brill that makes sense, thank you.
Are there any sub £100 routers that will run a vpn without crippling it's speeds too much?
I was thinking of using ipvanish or nordvpn...

Soldato
Brill that makes sense, thank you.
Are there any sub £100 routers that will run a vpn without crippling it's speeds too much?
I was thinking of using ipvanish or nordvpn...

So you wish your router to act as a VPN client to provide network wide protection via NordVPN or ipVanish and your original request means you also want it to act as a VPN server to access your NAS from the internet? I don't think there's going to be a £100 router that will have the horsepower to do both of those things at speed other than Mikrotik devices which I know little about but hear good things. You'd not be using DD-WRT on those though.

Back
Top Bottom