Access points

Associate
Hi

I live in a house with brick walls and the easiest solution is to run cat6 either end and add some access points (probably in the loft).

I was all set on Ubiquiti (deciding between the pro and LR models) until I came across the fact that these run very hot.

Is this the case? It seems to be quite an issue on their forums.

Are there any other POE access points that people are using and are happy with?
Maybe a TP link AC1350.

Cheers
S

Soldato
If you’re drilling the walls and running cables then I wouldn’t mess about with mounting the access points in the attic. Surface mount them on the upstairs ceiling and you get better coverage, better performance and you solve the issue of temperature as well (not that I think you’d have an issue with them in the attic).

Associate
Running tp link omada 225, really pleased with them,

have 3 internal and 2 outdoor, coverage is excellent, also have the oc200 controller

have them all wall mounted rather than ceiling and still get excellent coverage, solid brick internal walls

hand off from 1 point to another is seem less

I know they are releasing some new access points Wi-Fi 6,

might be worth a look,

fergin

Soldato
Define ‘quite an issue’ ? Some of them are known to run warm - the AC range for example - but I’m not aware of it being a problem as such, that’s how they are designed and specified to be, same with pretty much any electronic device, a % of that power (and usually not a small one) ends up as heat.

Associate
Only based on my experience -

I'm running Aruba AP315's - 3 at home, 3 at work and cannot fault them - all bought cheap on auction sites

Ive had routerboards, ubiquiti units and at one point was sending data point to point between headlands using big parabolic dishes and the Aruba stuff refreshing and uncomplicated and stable

Soldato
I was all set on Ubiquiti (deciding between the pro and LR models) until I came across the fact that these run very hot.

Can I ask where you found this information as I've been monitoring mine (UAP-AC-XG, UAP-AC-SHD, U6-LR, U6-Lite) with a calibrated thermometer and they run at a maximum of 35C. So warm to the touch but not actually hot. I have a UAP-AC-FlexHD that does run quite hot (54C) but its still hardly a fire hazard.

Soldato
Can I ask where you found this information as I've been monitoring mine (UAP-AC-XG, UAP-AC-SHD, U6-LR, U6-Lite) with a calibrated thermometer and they run at a maximum of 35C. So warm to the touch but not actually hot. I have a UAP-AC-FlexHD that does run quite hot (54C) but its still hardly a fire hazard.

The vanilla AC G2 stuff was known to run warm and I remember this being confirmed by Ubiquiti as a thing on the forums, it wasn’t even load related, just how they ran.

Don
Ubiquiti are great, you get a lot of ap for your money. We have over 370 in them in work. In 5 years, probably had about 4 of them fail.

Top Bottom