accurate GPS for running

Associate
On Wednesday i did a run with run keeper on my phone I did 5k according to it.
Tonight I did the same route but reached 5k on the phone a lot earlier in the route then Wednesday??? looking at the map tonight's tracking had loads of spikes in it and way way off the track I was running.

So I logged on to mapmyrun and manually plotted the route which gave me another distance... So does anyone know of a good (cheep) thing that i can use for jogging to map distances accurately?

Associate
I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 110 with HRM for just around £115 I think. Does the job nicely, can probably be had cheaper without the HRM but it seems fairly accurate so far. Uploads nicely into runkeeper as well!

Permabanned
Garmin 610 expensive but faultless, you can set it to record data every second for super accuracy but huge files at end

Soldato
I use a Garmin 305 with the heart-rate monitor which I find very useful for training runs, as I can run to a pace where I know it is pushing my physically without burning myself out. 160-170bpm and I'm fine. 180bpm+ and I feel tired and am pushing myself. 190bpm+ I feel like I want to die!

The only downside with the Garmin 305 (And most other GPS watches) is the battery life, which is about 8 hours. This is fine most of the time, but if you go for really long runs then it can be an issue. :)

Associate
OP
Messiah Kahn I think I'm along way off been able to run for 8 hours :) but appreciate what your saying will have a look at them

Associate
If you've got an Android phone, have you considered using "MyTracks" by Google, uses the GPS locator in your phone to plot over maps, I found it reasonably accurate.

Soldato
If you've got an Android phone, have you considered using "MyTracks" by Google, uses the GPS locator in your phone to plot over maps, I found it reasonably accurate.

I use the Nike+ app on iPhone and it seems very good

The original problem is that his phone is inaccurate. GPS on the iPhone is particularly woeful for this kind of thing; iPhone Strava users in Richmond Park are usually gifted 20-30s a lap (on a 17-23 minute lap).

Back
Top Bottom