***** Acer 23.6" 120Hz 3D Monitor Available to Pre-Order *****

Soldato
I'm looking for a new monitor and would like to get one that is a bit future proof. I won't be gaming in 3D though so will this 120Hz show any improvements in normal games?

Associate
i found a 20% off voucher that would have made it cheaper still but i couldnt use it as they already had a 15% off deal running... i couldnt wait :D

Do you still have the voucher? Link? :D

EDIT: No worries i hunted it out... it's 176400VNNPSCL?

I save 76 on it! Can get it for 365. is it worth the extra 60 for the alienware one?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking for a new monitor and would like to get one that is a bit future proof. I won't be gaming in 3D though so will this 120Hz show any improvements in normal games?

That's highly subjective. Actually being able to output 120fps at the front buffer isn't the be all and end all of on-screen fluidity. Most people will find that gaming on a low-input lag 60Hz screen with v-sync and triple buffering enabled is a very smooth experience (provided their framerate is consistent). The screens in this thread also have very low input lag and good pixel response times (especially the Alienware) - if you like gaming above 60fps for whatever reason, you'll find this an advantage.

It all depends on your personal preferences really. :)

Associate
Well i went to order for the 365... but the website is full of fail! They got a free delivery offer on now till the 28th and that means i can't use the 20% off coupon as it cant be used with any other offer. I can't even remove the free delivery! So stupid, I'll give them a ring tomorrow or something :rolleyes:

Soldato
Anyone know anything about the Zalman ZM-M215W? I know it's polarising and not active shutter, but tbh I prefer the idea of polarising, and the Zalmann fits into my budget much more easily.

Associate
got the alienware one for £365 finally :D Turns out you have to do it through small business... which is fine for me since my mum childminds and that's a small business in itself :) WIN! Only problem is it has to be delivered to my home, and not my uni house :(

Soldato
It could be used as one. The 3d for nvidia's solution is to have a 120Hz screen essentially swapping eyes every frame, in essence giving each eye a 60Hz image. The image changes to what each eye would see each frame, and then the glasses take over. The active shutter glasses are synced with the transmitter to block whichever eye shouldn't see the frame being displayed at any given moment, e.g. if the left eye's frame is being displayed, the right eye is blocked by a shutter, thanks to persistence of vision, the shutter is unnoticeable to most people, especially at 120Hz which reduces the amount of headaches caused. This however does effectively halve the displayed fps when you look at the image, although the actual fps will remain largely the same, it has to be split up for two different images.

iz3d have a different technology which puts a polarising layer in front of a standard LCD. The drivers work out which bits of the image should be seen by which eye, and let the light out at angles, which are then negated by polarising glasses. It's a lot harder to explain this method, but it is less used now that nvidia have really started backing their option, however it doesn't cause headaches, is cheaper as the glasses don't have to have anything except mass produced lenses, and is also the 3d technology currently being implemented in pubs for sky sports, as it means if people steal the glasses or break them the pub isn't down £100 per pair.

Soldato
Why is everyone so focued on the Alienware and Acer ones? Is it just because they're 24" 1080p nvidia solutions?

I still reckon the price of the glasses stops them being worth it tbh.

Nobody else heard about the Zalman?

Associate
Cythx, on UKhotdeals search for the monitor and follow the link. It has to be bought through the small business section of the website, which is why the voucher works. Mine will be arriving tomorrow, but unfortuanatly thats at my home so my parents will then send it to my uni house, so will hopefully have it by friday :)

Also, I'm not buying it for the 3D. I have an ATI card (5870), though my PS3 will be fine for 3D gaming this summer anyway. I just want that 120 refresh rate at full 1080p :D

Back
Top Bottom