***** Acer 23.6" 120Hz 3D Monitor Available to Pre-Order *****

Soldato
ryryryan you have persistance of vision, 120Hz will make absolutely no difference to your eyes compared to 60Hz, even if your monitor can display the frame rates your card produces, the human eye can't tell the difference from anything above roughly 45fps.

120Hz' sole use is 3d at the moment.

If I have the budget left over I'm definitely going with the Zalman route now, the tridef drivers give better 3d than nvidia according to people who've used both, and 2d to 3d for movies would be epic.

Associate
ryryryan you have persistance of vision, 120Hz will make absolutely no difference to your eyes compared to 60Hz, even if your monitor can display the frame rates your card produces, the human eye can't tell the difference from anything above roughly 45fps.

If I have the budget left over I'm definitely going with the Zalman route now, the tridef drivers give better 3d than nvidia according to people who've used both, and 2d to 3d for movies would be epic.

Wont it make a big difference to screen tear though? Thats all im concerned about really.

Man of Honour

Load of rubbish, even with persistance of vision the human eye can detect light level changes down to around 1/200th of a second on average. Granted the change from 60Hz to 120Hz isn't massive but its deffinitly noticeable to anyone whos spent a few years playing fps games.

Sure if you take a random person off the street and show them the same game scene on a 60Hz and 120Hz side by side they probably won't be tuned to notice the difference... that doesn't mean the human eye isn't capable of distinguishing it.

Man of Honour
Load of rubbish, even with persistance of vision the human eye can detect light level changes down to around 1/200th of a second on average. Granted the change from 60Hz to 120Hz isn't massive but its deffinitly noticeable to anyone whos spent a few years playing fps games.

Sure if you take a random person off the street and show them the same game scene on a 60Hz and 120Hz side by side they probably won't be tuned to notice the difference... that doesn't mean the human eye isn't capable of distinguishing it.

+1
my old screen was 85hz and whenever i updated drlvers it would go to 60hz, i could tell straight away it was at lower hz just by looking at it

Man of Honour
Yep complete tosh, I bought a 120hz monitor and I have no intention whatsoever of using it for 3d (I don't have proper binocular vision, for a start...).

The difference between 75hz and 120hz is easily noticeable in a game that I'm fully in tune with (Quakeworld, played it over 10 years) and in fact it wouldn't surprise me if I could tell the difference between 120hz and 200hz, if such a screen was available, although obviously that is unclear.

I could even tell the difference between 60hz and 75hz on my old screen, like the poster above after updating drivers something it would revert to 60hz and it was noticeably jerky in QW, I could tell without even checking the OSD.

Associate
Looks like you guys have answered on my behalf and i agree with everything you guys have said :) No screen tearing will be absolutely beautiful. As of now BFBC2 doesn't support v-sync (the option in game literally doesn't work!) and I can't wait for my new monitor to arrive to play without any horrible horizontal lines all the time (i avg 80 fps prob on that game on fully max'd out).

Also I have never seen a 120hz game in action before (TF2 will show me that :) ) but from what others say it is possible to see a difference to such keen gamers as ourselves.

Lynx24 - They would work fine. But bare in mind that they have no internal speakers.

Permabanned

The human eye lags behind our enviroment by 150ms...
Think about that eh

Man of Honour
ETA overdue....again. Anyone think this will get released this year?

it would be good for acer to get it on the uk market asap, the alienware equivelent can be had now for only £65 more and from all the reviews ive seen its a better screen and has swivel/tilt/high adjust which the acer doesnt have, i think acer missed the boat on this one, if they had stuck to their original ETA id be sat here now with the acer..... im glad they missed the boat tbh, this 23" alienware i have now is sooo nice :)

Last edited:
Soldato
it would be good for acer to get it on the uk market asap, the alienware equivelent can be had now for only £65 more and from all the reviews ive seen its a better screen and has swivel/tilt/high adjust which the acer doesnt have, i think acer missed the boat on this one, if they had stuck to their original ETA id be sat here now with the acer..... im glad they missed the boat tbh, this 23" alienware i have now is sooo nice :)

Yeah i agree , can you tell me if the alienware monitor is a gloss or matte finish screen ? thxs :confused:

Associate
I've waited so long I almost don't want to give up and go alienware (ordered 18th Feb).

It's only £65 more expensive and the reviews are much better for it, and I won't be waiting months for it either...

EDIT: Just ordered the alienware, do I have to call up overclockers to cancel orders? I'm not seeing a cancel button the orders page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom