Acer G24 Screen

Associate
Ok, DHL picked up my monitor today. I've also emailed Acer requesting that, if they send me another new unit, that they test it first to make sure the backlight works properly. If they keep sending me new units with the same issue, then i'll just keep sending it back untill I get one that works flawlessly.

Soldato
Cool, just out of interrest do u use ACM from the monitor controls menu, or do u know what on earth it is?!?
Ive played the killzone 2 demo on the monitor and all i can say is wow......incredible. The PS3 looks stunning on this monitor in 1080p :)

Automatic Contrast Management or something like that.. i have mine turned off, just play around with it adjust it to your needs you might prefer it on. When i turned mine on it was changing contrast more then i wished, everything looks ok without it i found.

:)

and good on your Loque you will get that perfect one!

Associate
Hiya, guys.

Anyone know where a Yank can get a blue Acer G24? They only seem to sell them in in Europe. Anyone know anything about that?

Cheers! ;)

Associate
Had mine for a few days.

Back light bleed has struck again within a day or two. In the exact same places, giving the exact same effect.

Methinks I've been given the same monitor. Or, just very unlucky.

Figure I'll wait for a while. Maybe they'll start replacing with monitors that don't have something almost instantaneously wrong with them.

Permabanned
Had mine for a few days.

Back light bleed has struck again within a day or two. In the exact same places, giving the exact same effect.

Methinks I've been given the same monitor. Or, just very unlucky.

Figure I'll wait for a while. Maybe they'll start replacing with monitors that don't have something almost instantaneously wrong with them.

turn your brightness right down, i find that my Acer has backlight bleed only when the brightness is turned up in the pre-configed ACM settings.

I put the brightness to 0 and its still brighter than all my other monitors but my backlight bleed is almost gone... i know this isnt a complete solution but it will help in the mean time.

i soo wanted this to be the best monitor in the world, i so wanted to buy 2 of them and have them looking amazing in my setup but im not going to, im going to wait for another company... hopefully Samsung, to come out with some sort of uber-gaming monitor... because Acer have screwed this one up.

i mean what are Acer playing at? why have a contrast ratio of 50,000:1 but then have such bad backlight bleed that your contrast ratio on the edges of your screen is more like 1:1 :-\.

i thought maybe mine was damaged in transit or i was just unlucy but it seems to be an inherent problem with the G24 as everyone is taking about it.

im waiting a bit longer, i have 1 year warranty that runs out end of December so im going to give it a while before i return it.

Associate
1 year? didnt yours come with the standard 3 year limited warranty?

But yeah Cingal, thats pretty much what happened to me with the last one Acer sent me. It was ok for about a day, then the backlight started to bleed exactly like the very first one I had.

I'm expecting mine back this week sometime, possibly early next week, but I've already told Acer that if they send me another new unit, to check it for the same problem. They're fully aware than I intend to send it back to them everytime this problem occurs, untill they fix it.

Associate
Power to the people! :)

Right i think we can all say that at boot it is awful?. on mine there is bleed on all 4 sides

When i game and there is a dark background there is bleed on the top and bottom (slight), left is ok and right maybe two inches.

When i watch a 720p tv show there is slight bleed on the right hand side. It is more a slight white discoloration than bleed though.

Some days i think it is bad and other days it aint so bad:rolleyes:.

I came from a 20" LG where there was a tiny amount of bleed so the acer definitely is worse, but you know what i still love it.It is a great gaming monitor in my opinion bleed and all. It kicks the LG's ass thats for sure.

Some of us have got some units though that have really bad bleed whereas i think mine is average bleed. If there was no bleed then it truly would be a great panel but that will never happen on this type of monitor or am i wrong?.

Anyways my housemate will be back sunday so i will take some pics then. All us G24 owners should post pics of our bleed. some of us have in the past i know but if anyone has a camera and owns a g24 post some pics of a black screen when the monitor has heated up for 30 mins and windows has loaded.

Permabanned
1 year? didnt yours come with the standard 3 year limited warranty?

no way 3 years? even better, i assumed it would be the standard generic 1 year warranty.... still got the box and paperwork so i'll double check.

Power to the people! :)

Right i think we can all say that at boot it is awful?. on mine there is bleed on all 4 sides

When i game and there is a dark background there is bleed on the top and bottom (slight), left is ok and right maybe two inches.

When i watch a 720p tv show there is slight bleed on the right hand side. It is more a slight white discoloration than bleed though.

Some days i think it is bad and other days it aint so bad:rolleyes:.

I came from a 20" LG where there was a tiny amount of bleed so the acer definitely is worse, but you know what i still love it.It is a great gaming monitor in my opinion bleed and all. It kicks the LG's ass thats for sure.

Some of us have got some units though that have really bad bleed whereas i think mine is average bleed. If there was no bleed then it truly would be a great panel but that will never happen on this type of monitor or am i wrong?.

Anyways my housemate will be back sunday so i will take some pics then. All us G24 owners should post pics of our bleed. some of us have in the past i know but if anyone has a camera and owns a g24 post some pics of a black screen when the monitor has heated up for 30 mins and windows has loaded.

you are in the same boat as me and i feel exactly the same... it changes daily and only really annoys me when either booting up, or playing a game like Fallout 3 and i'm stalking the wastelands when its pitch black at night, because the stars look amazing and when you look at them all you can notice is the damn backlight bleed.... but generally when i game, surf, watch films i dont notice it at all....

You mention that this may be a problem with all LCDs but my 32" samsung downstairs which is in the living room has no backlight bleed at all... i think im gonna go Samsung next time, they seem very trustworthy and never seen any bleed with their monitors... just have to wait for them to release a gaming one lol.

i'll posts osme pics too when im not being lazy.

Soldato
I bought one of these monitors last week... the back light bleed on black screens during the post and boot is trully shocking, never seen anything like it on any other LCD. Still in use in windows and games the monitor is stunning especially when you have set up the colour balance right.... so not gonna worry about the backlight. Would therefore overall recommend this monitor as a 24" gaming monitor.

Associate
i think im gonna go Samsung next time, they seem very trustworthy and never seen any bleed with their monitors... just have to wait for them to release a gaming one lol.

Hehe, friend of mine just returned his 2nd T240 because of bleed. The last one was light grey halfway in from the bottom, the first one had a bad corner.

But the T2x0 is kinda the bottom of the market, so maybe the others are better.

My guess is that if Acer made them with good enough build quality to ensure no bleeds (it's not really hard to avoid at all), then they would be too close in price to *VA-based screens, thus eliminating too much of the main advantege of TN-based displays.

Last edited:
Associate
I took delivery of one of these beauties today (the blue) and, so far, no issues - i.e. no bleeds that I can detect/notice or duff pixels etc.

Compared to my old Dell P1130 the clarity and colours are amazing (once toned brightness and contrast down etc).

Had a quick play of Cod W@W and Cod 4 at full res and max options - absolutley stunned at what I've been missing thus far (apart from what I aim at ! :))

Soldato
its only noticeable on black backgrounds slightly on the edges for myself. unfortunately it does appear to be a flaw, if there wasn't any bleed this really would be one of the best monitors out there (oh and bit more horizontal viewing angle).

i got the dilemma now whether to buy another to keep dual screens matching. i think i will though :p

Associate
Got mine back yesterday, and as I expected, the bleed is still there. No difference, except maybe the bottom isnt as noticable anymore. Not pleased to say the least. I'll give it a couple of weeks, then ill return it again, i think i'll ask for a different model this time though. Im kinda tired of this monitor and its pathetic flaws.

Soldato
reading this thread completely becuse im intrested in this gameing monitor but after reading this thread its scared me off G24s for life.

going to find something better, lol

Associate
Hello
I got my g24 on friday and I'm getting horrible backlight bleeding
Here are some photos:
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

There is of course a matter of crappy cell phone I used to take this and gamma/brightness of the photos but you get the idea.

Should I send it back ?

Permabanned
try reducing your brightness to 0, my monitor is similar but you only notice the bleed in DOS, when you get to your desktop or in game you dont notice the bleed.

Back
Top Bottom