Acer KG271B 240hz FHD Freesync monitor with an RX 580 8GB - get black screen flickering?

Associate
Hi all,

Previously had an AOC Q3279VWF 75hz Freesync monitor but it felt terrible for gaming so just received an Acer KG271B 240hz FHD Freesync monitor.

Monitor feels great when gaming, but the problem is that I keep getting random black screen flickering :/

Sometimes happens very often, sometimes not for a long while but happens every single day and its annoying the hell out of me...

The black screen flickering seems to be worse when connecting this monitor up via HDMI 2.0 than DP 1.2, but still flickers on both ports. I've tried various quality cables and lengths of each type but the issue still occurs no matter what I try.

I've done the usual DDU, remove OC's etc. but made no difference...

I hooked the same monitor up to my laptop via hdmi and did not experience any flickering...

i hook my old monitor up and everything works fine...

Makes no sense, im wondering if this is some sort of driver issue between the RX 580 and the Acer KG271B?

Anyone else using the same combination? Let me know if you have any similar issues, or no issues at all!

Associate
OP
My mate brought his PC over, running a GTX 970, so I hooked it up to my monitor @ 240hz and....no flickering at all!

Must surely be an issue with my GPU then? Unless its AMD driver related? Dont have a spare AMD GPU to try unfortunately :/

What are your thoughts?

Caporegime
Hi all,

Previously had an AOC Q3279VWF 75hz Freesync monitor but it felt terrible for gaming so just received an Acer KG271B 240hz FHD Freesync monitor.

Monitor feels great when gaming, but the problem is that I keep getting random black screen flickering :/

Sometimes happens very often, sometimes not for a long while but happens every single day and its annoying the hell out of me...

The black screen flickering seems to be worse when connecting this monitor up via HDMI 2.0 than DP 1.2, but still flickers on both ports. I've tried various quality cables and lengths of each type but the issue still occurs no matter what I try.

I've done the usual DDU, remove OC's etc. but made no difference...

I hooked the same monitor up to my laptop via hdmi and did not experience any flickering...

i hook my old monitor up and everything works fine...

Makes no sense, im wondering if this is some sort of driver issue between the RX 580 and the Acer KG271B?

Anyone else using the same combination? Let me know if you have any similar issues, or no issues at all!

Theres quite a few with different monitors getting Black screens, and also FreeSync flickering (Thread here :- https://community.amd.com/thread/220267), i thought it may have been some bizzare Win 10 issue, as those with problems, seem to be on that, but if you're on that, and your old monitor works fine, then i don't know, could be a driver issue.

Ive just replaced a BenQ XL2730Z FreeSync monitor (on Tuesday), which i had no problems at all with, with a BenQ EX3501R Widescreen FreeSync monitor, and am having no problems with that either (so far), but im on Win 7.

EDIT:

Im still on the first Adrenalin set of drivers too, the 17.12.1s, so you could always give those a try, as ive also read that AMD broke FreeSync on later ones.

Could also be a Monitor issue too, in which case a probable fix could be a Firmware upgrade.

I found that thread above, as i was going to get that Samsung CF791 at first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom