** ACER MIXED REALITY HEADSET NOW AVAILABLE AT OCUK **

OcUK Staff
Hi guys,

First amongst the plethora of Windows Mixed Reality headsets to land at OcUK is the Acer Windows MR Headset and Motion Controllers Bundle:

Acer Windows Mixed Reality MR Headset and Motion Controllers Bundle (AH101) @ £399.95 inc VAT

Acer AH101 Windows Mixed Reality Headset, Blue, Supplied with 2x Motion Controllers, Combines VR with Reality, for Windows 10

Only £399.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

THE THRILL OF VR COMBINED WITH PHENOMENAL SPATIAL AWARENESS

The WMR headset and controllers bundle from Acer allow you to immerse yourself in a whole no world. Windows Mixed Reality is a phenomenally exciting new experience combining the thrill of the virtual world with the physical world, so you actually feel like you’re inside a new dimension. With the Acer Windows Mixed Reality bundle you experience a greater sense of immersion, freedom to roam and access to over 20,000 universal Windows Apps. The Acer Windows Mixed Reality headset is designed for comfort, so you can concentrate on what’s going on in the virtual world. The padded head mount is lightweight, has easy-to-use adjustable straps and comes with a flip visor so it’s simple to switch from the real and virtual worlds.

VIRTUAL TOURS
If you've ever dreamt of exploring the beauty of historic Rome or other wonders of the world this is now all made possible through the HoloTour app. You can even travel further afield to out of space with Galaxy Explorer.

VR GAMING
Get dropped in the thick of the action with enthralling Virtual Reality games such as Obduction, Minecraft and Zombie Apocalypse, and not forgetting the many more titles available via the Steam platform (launch date TBC). Just remember to look behind you.

DAILY ACTIVITIES
Face your fears and skydive with GoPro VR, and other mind-blowing 360 degree immersive videos. Or, sit back, relax and watch a blockbuster movie or your favourite boxset in your own big screen virtual cinema experience. However, the Acer Windows Mixed Reality is not only for play, as you can be more productive with access to Microsoft Outlook and Edge Browser for example. That’s right; you can access your emails in a virtual world.

TRACKED BY THE HEADSET
In Windows Mixed Reality, your motion controllers are directly tracked by your headset sensors, so they're more naturally responsive to your movements. Effortlessly journey through virtual worlds as your headset responds to the movement of the Motion Controllers.

GOOD TO GO IN 10 MINUTES OR LESS
Setup is quick and straightforward as you plug and go. Simply plug in the device to a compatible Windows laptop or desktop, track your physical environment and complete setup within minutes. Freedom of inside-out tracking means there is no need to install any other physical equipment and you can easily move between locations, whether you are using it in the lounge, bedroom, a friend’s house or at work.

Acer Windows Mixed Reality Headset Features

SIX DEGREES OF FREEDOM
Six degrees of freedom (6DoF) is the term used to refer to the freedom of movement that a rigid body can move in three-dimensional space. So in Windows Mixed Reality, the body is free to move: forward/back, up/down, left/right, pitch, yaw, and roll.

SPATIAL AUDIO
Spatial audio lets you hear sounds from specific locations just like in the real world, and your advanced motion controller makes it easy to move through virtual spaces. The combined effect is a sensation where your virtual and physical worlds are in perfect sync, free of latency or distortion, for a phenomenal sense of presence.

INSIDE-OUT TRACKING
Inside-Out Tracking uses device integrated tracking cameras to watch the world around the headset and automatically change its perspective of the outside world without needing to install additional sensors.

Technical Information

Synchronization Method
Bluetooth

Minimum Refresh Rate
60 Hz

Maximum Refresh Rate
90 Hz

Sensor Type
Accelerometer
Gyro Sensor
Magnetometer
Proximity Sensor

Field of View
100°

Maximum Interpupillary Distance
2.48"

Number of Displays

Display Screen Size
2.89"

Maximum Resolution
2880 x 1440

Pixel Density
706 ppi

Battery Information
Batteries Required
Yes

Number of Batteries Supported

Battery Size Supported
AA

Physical Characteristics
Height
2.9"

Width
7.7"

Depth
4.3"

Weight (Approximate)
1.87 lb

Interfaces/Ports
Audio Line Out
Yes

HDMI
Yes

HDMI Version
HDMI 1.4
HDMI 2.0

USB
Yes

USB Standard
USB 3.0

Miscellaneous

Package Contents
Windows Mixed Reality Headset
Controller
Additional Information

Controller Specifications:
Tracking

Visible Light Constellation LED
6DOF Tracking within HMD Camera FOV
Sensor

IMU + Magnetic Sensor
Haptic Feedback
Inputs

Thumb Stick with Mechanical Select
Touch Pad with Mechanical Select
Analog Trigger Button
Grap Button
Windows Button
Menu Button

Connectivity
Bluetooth Classic

Battery
4 x AA Battery (Excluded)

Dimension
152.7x 119.1 x 119.1mm

Weight
125.6g (without Battery)
171g (with Battery)

Operating System Compatibility
Windows 10 Creators Update

I've had one of these to test the past 2 evenings and started testing it. First thing that struck me was the ease of setup. 5 mins and I was in Windows Mixed Reality portal looking for things to do. Unfortunately there wasn't much in there and the game i did play was quickly and inadequately made. The controllers wouldn't pick up button presses and so I wasn't able to play properly. This was just the first of many "quirks" with which I found with the controllers and controller tracking system.

It appears that for ease of setup and leaning down the hardware you need for tracking (no lighthouses etc.) they have sacrificed some of the controller tracking that you get from external tracking or reference points. Also it means unless the controller was in the field of view of the cameras on the headset it disappears after a short time. And while it is recognised and usable pretty quickly after bringing into the FOV of the headset cameras, leave it out of the FOV for too long and you'll have to turn it on again, as power saving turns it off pretty quickly.

The cameras however track headset movements extremely well. The play space you set up is also very well presented in game. I imagine linked with a Windows Surface the linking of real and virtual is where this headset will shine. I will try and find more content over the next week to test the mixed reality aspects of the headset.

I tested some 360 videos which are available on the Windows MR Portal and my son was flabbergasted by the crocodile experience at Gatorland. In fact my son has thoroughly enjoyed having the headset and is devastated when it comes to bathtime and him having to take it off. The headset is robust and easily taken on and off and adjusted for different head sizes. My son has walked into the desk/sideboard/chair several times and the headset hasn't skipped a beat.

The screens are fairly small which gives more of a tunnel view than the vive or oculus, the clarity in the center of view is great, however text and detail sharpness drops off quite quickly, screen door effect is on a par with the other major players' headsets.

The "home" area is not very interesting and feels like it has been thrown in as an afterthought however I'm not one for spending much time in those spaces and would prefer to get into content so this doesn't bother me too much. Will update with more reactions after I have had more time to play with it.

First quick thoughts
  • Good "entry level" product which is robust and easy to setup/use
  • Tech is appropriate for the respective price point compared to competitors
  • Needs more content and polish
  • Controllers are a bit flakey
  • Promising applications with mixing of real and virtual worlds

Associate
This has come out of the blue.

I'd assumed that VR was a bit stagnant at the moment, with Oculus relying on the existing product and Vive only releasing a 1.5 version. I've got no experience of Sony PSVR though.

I've always liked Acer products as being reasonably priced and good quality.

But, what does this headset 'do'?

Could I play Elite Dangerous on it? The visual quality does not sound that great, and nor does the control. What software/games is out there to support this?

Soldato
That depends on circumstance. A mate of mine got one, purely because of it's portable form and his preference for laptops. I had it over, plugged it straight in to the usb and hdmi, win 10 found it and downloaded the MR portal. In the space of less than 5 minutes It was all working.

Personally having the ability to station my VR in a static location with a desktop and a 360 setup, I've no need for MR, and would go with vive/oculus. Nik is pretty much spot on about the pro's and con's, it is very light form and entry level, but conversely easy as, any location.

Could I play Elite Dangerous on it?

Just check any steam discussion forum on a game that doesn't have a MR icon listed. Somebody always asks the question, normally you see a dev response.

Back
Top Bottom