Acer Predator CG437K P - 43", 4K, 144Hz, HDR-1000

Soldato
OP
Won't be much "hoorah" if this just ends up a brighter version of the XG438Q... I will await reviews, but I'm not holding out much hope tbh.

Soldato
OP
That monitor is freesync and has not, and never will be G-Sync compatible.

This is not relevant. It's virtually the same panel, just a slightly newer (brighter) revision. In all aspects, on paper anyway, it appears identical, save for the brightness. The XG438Q exhibited all the worst (and most typical) faults of a VA panel, ones that almost all users have reported, so it's hardly limited to just a few bad panels... there is no logical reason to assume a slight revision of the same panel will magically resolve all these (serious) problems, and certainly not enough to justify an even more expensive price tag. HDR-1000 certainly won't be enough if anyone thinks different, the backlight just isn't up to task here. Again assuming it's the same as the Asus which it most likely will be... it certainly isn't FALD anyway.

I'd love to be wrong, as I was very much looking forward to these 43" monitors after years of waiting for something like this... but I strongly suspect the Acer will be a further disappointment.

Associate
This is not relevant. It's virtually the same panel, just a slightly newer (brighter) revision. In all aspects, on paper anyway, it appears identical, save for the brightness. The XG438Q exhibited all the worst (and most typical) faults of a VA panel, ones that almost all users have reported, so it's hardly limited to just a few bad panels... there is no logical reason to assume a slight revision of the same panel will magically resolve all these (serious) problems, and certainly not enough to justify an even more expensive price tag. HDR-1000 certainly won't be enough if anyone thinks different, the backlight just isn't up to task here. Again assuming it's the same as the Asus which it most likely will be... it certainly isn't FALD anyway.

I'd love to be wrong, as I was very much looking forward to these 43" monitors after years of waiting for something like this... but I strongly suspect the Acer will be a further disappointment.

The XG438Q has been reportedly withdrawn from the Nvidia compatibility website due to massive tearing issues that can't be resolved. The Acer Predator CG437K however has been reported by some forums in singapore to be fitted with the G-sync hardware Built in. I guess we'll see. But i would rather put my money on something badged with NVIDIA then Freesync, given how AMD can't even muster a GFX card to hit 4k properly, I'm at a losss as to why they keep producing them.

Associate
I have a philips 436M6VBPAB and I just love the 43" size. Just perfect for me. I dont and havnt played a lot of games on it thou. Movies and other productivity work yes. I see a difference thou from a VA to a IPS monitor; I miss the 'smoothness of colors in a IPS compared to the VA.

Associate
The XG438Q has been reportedly withdrawn from the Nvidia compatibility website due to massive tearing issues that can't be resolved. The Acer Predator CG437K however has been reported by some forums in singapore to be fitted with the G-sync hardware Built in. I guess we'll see. But i would rather put my money on something badged with NVIDIA then Freesync, given how AMD can't even muster a GFX card to hit 4k properly, I'm at a losss as to why they keep producing them.

Sorry going to have to stop you on the included g synch module part for Acer as it’s fake news. Acer confirmed this model does not have a g synch hardware module inside but it is g synch compatible as it’s certified. Those modules are not cheap and there’s no way they would quietly add them to some the monitors without any fanfare.

It does look like it will be better then the ASUS though which is great. I’m looking forward to the reviews.

Associate
I have a philips 436M6VBPAB and I just love the 43" size. Just perfect for me. I dont and havnt played a lot of games on it thou. Movies and other productivity work yes. I see a difference thou from a VA to a IPS monitor; I miss the 'smoothness of colors in a IPS compared to the VA.

have to admit that was high on my list for a while to try just the 60hz limited was putting me off. Have to admit now Nvidia have inbuilt up scaling in their Nvidia software it means I can play 4K games over 60 which little graphical trade off.

Associate
have to admit that was high on my list for a while to try just the 60hz limited was putting me off. Have to admit now Nvidia have inbuilt up scaling in their Nvidia software it means I can play 4K games over 60 which little graphical trade off.

Im not sure I understand the last part of the statement ... I get the inbuilt upscaling but what do you mean little graphical trade off? you mean you dont take a hit to your system or?

Associate
Sorry I should have been more clear. Yeah in a way. The upscaling is quite good I can't tell that its a lower resolution which has been upscaled. As its a lower resolution its less of a GPU strain then actual 4k.

Back
Top Bottom