Acer Predator CG437K P - 43", 4K, 144Hz, HDR-1000

Associate
I'm not tech minded like some on here. Can anyone clarify if this monitor supports 120Hz through ONE DisplayPort cable. with HDR enabled and gsync. I have a gtx 2080ti and would like to use it to get 4k and 120Hz through the displayport 1.4, does it have enough bandwidth for that.

P.s If you use Both display ports to get 144hz I heard that you cannot use vSync?.

I'm not rich, I've been saving months for this, I just want to be sure.
And also this chroma sampling, is it Really that notable for someone like me who doesn't do art and graphics apps. just normal PC and Console gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not tech minded like some on here. Can anyone clarify if this monitor supports 120Hz through ONE DisplayPort cable. with HDR enabled and gsync. I have a gtx 2080ti and would like to use it to get 4k and 120Hz through the displayport 1.4, does it have enough bandwidth for that.

P.s If you use Both display ports to get 144hz I heard that you cannot use vSync?.

I'm not rich, I've been saving months for this, I just want to be sure.
And also this chroma sampling, is it Really that notable for someone like me who doesn't do art and graphics apps. just normal PC and Console gaming.

As far as I'm aware, yes, it supports 120Hz and HDR with Freesync (it's G-Sync compatible) via a single DP 1.4 cable. The limitation is with 144Hz, as this isn't possible over a single DP cable, requiring two, but you therefore give up the HDR/Freesync functionality... that's my understanding anyway. To be honest though, while 144Hz is of course the preference, I doubt many people would notice 24Hz difference, nevermind the fact that pushing that many frames in 4K is nigh on impossible unless you're playing CS:GO or similar games... and if you are THAT serious about high FPS, you wouldn't be looking at a monitor like this in the first place.

The yet to be released Asus XG43UQ gets around this issue by utilising DSC, but I think it's going to come in quite a bit more expensive than the Acer... but perhaps worth waiting to see. We may get more word on that at CES next week.

You won't notice chroma subsampling in games.

Associate
I got this monitor today. Initial findings:

I'm able to run 4k at 134hz with 1dp cable.

Running UW resolution of 3840 x 1600 works great, also at 134hz.

Screen is wide enough so I'm able to see a lot of distortion in colours.

A little bit of ghosting here and there as it is a VA panel.

Does not seem worth the money, £1299. Especially when LG will have 48" OLED monitors out this year and you can already get 55" gsync 120hz OLEDs for £750 if you're lucky.

Anything else anyone wants me to test?

*edit, just noticed that the colours are reduced to 6-bit when hz is above 120. Can't really say I see any difference though, but my use case is games only

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got mine today also. I must say I like it more than I thought I would. Tricky though... I'd agree it's not really worth the £1300 price tag, but then there is no alternative at this size. The 48" OLED LG will have this year is almost certain to come in cheaper, and it will destroy this in all areas... the only problem being the risk of burn-in, which for a dedicated PC monitor is certainly on the high side. Another 5" is a lot though... this is already pretty big on a desk, even at 1m away... 48" might be pushing it, but the obvious advantages of OLED in terms of blacks, motion etc. are tempting for sure. I know I'd be constantly worried about burn-in though.

Soldato
OP
The 48's are no doubt gonna launch at at least £2k then drop throughout the year

We'll find out soon enough, but not sure I see that being the case... they won't sell very many at that price, not when you can get a 55" C9 at a little over £1K. Features on the new models won't justify such a price hike, and someone would have to be MIGHTY desperate for 48" to stump up that kind of money... and PC users are an insignificant % in this, needless to say.

Associate
1 - The 48's are no doubt gonna launch at at least £2k then drop throughout the year

2 - That's horse**** about the £750.

Sorry I assumed the prices are more or less the same here in UK as in Finland where I'm from. Even now you can get an LG OLED B9 55" for 999eur. Just few days ago there was an offer for 899eur.

Prices seem to have been in steadily increasing in UK since brexit vote :(

Associate
After a lot of testing, I have to say that I don't recommend this monitor to anyone. Main reasons being too expensive and ghosting is quite bad.

Without the ghosting I would maybe pay £700 for this but with the ghosting issues no amount of money would make me use this for gaming.

Soldato
OP
After a lot of testing, I have to say that I don't recommend this monitor to anyone. Main reasons being too expensive and ghosting is quite bad.

Without the ghosting I would maybe pay £700 for this but with the ghosting issues no amount of money would make me use this for gaming.

I was doing some testing last night on quite a few games and I'd concur... I will return mine because at this price point it's really quite unacceptable. The BGR issue still rears its head on text also, which I do notice. By many accounts it's better than the XG438Q on that front, but an RGB panel would certainly do better.

At this point, for anything in this size range/resolution, the LG 48" OLED is the last hope... let's hope they price it sensibly.

Associate
I'm going to pull the plug on getting this monitor. I've been on the Acer forums. Not good at all. Flickering and ghosting are big issues. With Acer admitting to hardware issues. I think the whole range needs a recall and acer need to make an official statement. As all current stocks are bound to be faulty.

Soldato
Quite sad reading this thread and the Asus one. Got my Acer 43k 4k IPS HDR for £350 and its been flawless really, what a bargain. I've given up on high end monitors for the foreseeable future when TVs with amazing panels are available for a better price. Especially when HDMI 2.1 and 4k 120hz becomes the standard, should have bought spare steam controllers for couch pc gaming I think.

If samsung announces a 43" Qled with HDMI 2.1 for £500 its game over for any high end monitor.

Associate
Quite sad reading this thread and the Asus one. Got my Acer 43k 4k IPS HDR for £350 and its been flawless really, what a bargain. I've given up on high end monitors for the foreseeable future when TVs with amazing panels are available for a better price. Especially when HDMI 2.1 and 4k 120hz becomes the standard, should have bought spare steam controllers for couch pc gaming I think.

If samsung announces a 43" Qled with HDMI 2.1 for £500 its game over for any high end monitor.
I almost bought a Panasonic 40gx800b instead of a new monitor, mostly because it was the only 40" panel but it was hard to find stock and would be 60hz. So decided to get me my first ultrawide and wait another year, but as it looks I am definitelly getting a tv to swap the monitor once there is one that supports 2.1hdmi and higher refresh rate.

Colours on the new ultrawide (samsung LS34J550) are dull compared to my living room TV 58Dx802b and so I used the pc on my living room tv these days. Not sure I like ultrawide either, some of the games i play don't support it and i despise black bars.

It is really annoying and I mentioned it earlier, that in the monitor field there aren't many good options, and the prices are stupid. Was looking forward for new monitor announcements this year, look at the below Acer announcement where they mention a 55, 32 and 38 inch monitor...

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/05/acer-55-inch-monitor-predator-gaming/

I was thinking of getting a 38" ultrawide next year once good refresh rates come up and LG gets more in production but omg those prices are prohibiting. I cannot justify $2,399 for a monitor that is HDR400, to be fair even if it was HDR1000 I would still not be able to justify it even if it had a bazilion dimming zones.. It is getting ridiculous now with monitor companies.

Associate
I got this recently as a replacement for a defective Asus 4xg437q and while at first I did notice flickering at high refresh rates, this disappeared completely when using two DP cables. I'm happily running at 144hz overclock and absolutely love it! Much better implementation than the Asus and just about the limit of what I can get away with on my desk.

I do a lot of code work on this screen and have not had any problem with the text rendering at all (although I do use dark themes so that might help).

Associate
I got this recently as a replacement for a defective Asus 4xg437q and while at first I did notice flickering at high refresh rates, this disappeared completely when using two DP cables. I'm happily running at 144hz overclock and absolutely love it! Much better implementation than the Asus and just about the limit of what I can get away with on my desk.

I do a lot of code work on this screen and have not had any problem with the text rendering at all (although I do use dark themes so that might help).

Hi Shallan, Have you tried to see if turning down the colour depth in windows stops the flickering using one cable. Or Disabling and re-enabling VSync after doing this helps.
I've been reading all over the net. It seems to be a bandwidth hardware issue. I would really like to know, because I can live with reduced colours but not without VSync by using two cables.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been looking at this monitor as an upgrade from my current Acer Predator XB321HK but confused with the dual displayport connections needed which I do not have on my EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.
Am looking to upgrade to a 3080 when stock allows but I have no idea when

So I am assuming that the Acer Predator CG437KP would not be fully utilised until I can connect dual display port cables?

Associate
Been looking at this monitor as an upgrade from my current Acer Predator XB321HK but confused with the dual displayport connections needed which I do not have on my EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.
Am looking to upgrade to a 3080 when stock allows but I have no idea when

So I am assuming that the Acer Predator CG437KP would not be fully utilised until I can connect dual display port cables?

With so many new monitors coming out or released - I would say look elsewhere or just wait a tad longer.

Back
Top Bottom