Acer Predator X35 200hz HDR

Soldato
Even £1500 is too much, heck even £1000 is too much......

Way too much. £1000 at which it may tempt me but for a monitor I’m still happy with my 27” 1440p. Just too much for such a small display. If it was 2k then I’d be expecting pure perfection for that price, no bleed, no ghosting, no pixel or other screen issues as well as 5-10 year guarantee.

Don’t get me started on the new 4k 144hz panels. Which in my opinion are far too small and will be pointless to own for the next 2 years unless your running Pac-Man graphics.

If I want all the visuals then I use my OLED with hdr which as you know looks stupid good :). And to be fair other than FPS and a few steam games, most of my gaming takes place on this now anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Way too much. £1000 at which it may tempt me but for a monitor I’m still happy with my 27” 1440p. Just too much for such a small display. If it was 2k then I’d be expecting pure perfection for that price, no bleed, no ghosting, no pixel or other screen issues as well as 5-10 year guarantee.

Don’t get me started on the new 4k 144hz panels. Which in my opinion are far too small and will be pointless to own for the next 2 years unless your running Pac-Man graphics.

If I want all the visuals then I use my OLED with hdr which as you know looks stupid good :). And to be fair other than FPS and a few steam games, most of my gaming takes place on this now anyway.

Likewise :cool:

Even bought a wireless mouse the other day to be able to make the complete switch over to gaming solely on the OLED regardless of m + k or controller now. Life on OLED is good :D

Associate
The PG34 is still a grand (not saying it's not overpriced by the way) so as someone with a X34 I don't have a problem with £1500 for the new tech. It's new into the market so that's the game sadly. Assuming it's a good gaming screen I'd rather play on this than my LG C7.

Soldato
Likewise :cool:

Even bought a wireless mouse the other day to be able to make the complete switch over to gaming solely on the OLED regardless of m + k or controller now. Life on OLED is good :D

Wows me pretty much every time I use it. Just love the fact it can do 120hz if required as well as you can use DSR with a capable gpu if your after better visuals. As well as true proper HDR, true blacks and no ghosting etc. One thing I hate with VA panels.

Think I may end up doing the same eventually. The new Corsair wireless mouse and keyboards as well as one of their new lapboards.

Just a bit sick of pc at the minute. The past year has put me off which is something I never thought I’d be saying. Recently bought a ps4 pro and very much enjoying that too for the price it was.

Caporegime
Wows me pretty much every time I use it. Just love the fact it can do 120hz if required as well as you can use DSR with a capable gpu if your after better visuals. As well as true proper HDR, true blacks and no ghosting etc. One thing I hate with VA panels.

Think I may end up doing the same eventually. The new Corsair wireless mouse and keyboards as well as one of their new lapboards.

Just a bit sick of pc at the minute. The past year has put me off which is something I never thought I’d be saying. Recently bought a ps4 pro and very much enjoying that too for the price it was.

Yup that is my favourite thing about the display, the versatility of it without any compromises (well except for no sync tech., only thing I wish it had, however, with 120HZ mode on oled, screen tearing and motion etc. still looks extremely good). Been loving far cry 5 on it, the scenery of that game on oled is just gorgeous.

Just had a look at those lapboards, looks perfect. I can make do with my wired keyboard atm but was on the lookout for a wireless mech. keyboard and couldn't see much. I got the g703, it was between that and the g903 but I couldn't justify the extra for it and preferred a more ergonomic mouse anyway, so far it is very impressive.

Exact same boat here too, last 1-2 years have been very meh for PC gaming. Still unsure what to do myself with regards to gaming platforms, ultimately, the next lot of GPUs will dictate what path I go down......

What price did you pay for the ps 4 pro?

Soldato
Yup that is my favourite thing about the display, the versatility of it without any compromises (well except for no sync tech., only thing I wish it had, however, with 120HZ mode on oled, screen tearing and motion etc. still looks extremely good). Been loving far cry 5 on it, the scenery of that game on oled is just gorgeous.

Just had a look at those lapboards, looks perfect. I can make do with my wired keyboard atm but was on the lookout for a wireless mech. keyboard and couldn't see much. I got the g703, it was between that and the g903 but I couldn't justify the extra for it and preferred a more ergonomic mouse anyway, so far it is very impressive.

Exact same boat here too, last 1-2 years have been very meh for PC gaming. Still unsure what to do myself with regards to gaming platforms, ultimately, the next lot of GPUs will dictate what path I go down......

What price did you pay for the ps 4 pro?

The no sync tech hasn’t really bothered me too much. My Ti as you’d imagine keeps up quite well with 4k and if anything I get a tiny bit of stutter at most but usually I just tune the settings to keep it running nice all the time which usually is the high settings at 4k.

Cost me £349.99 with destiny 2, the white one. Had one in local game store so grabbed it the other day as been meaning to get one for a while and god of war tipped me over to finally get one.

Which to be honest ain’t a bad price and it looks and performs very well indeed. 4k looks good on it just a shame about 30fps however it hasn’t bothered me half as much as I thought it would do and god of war itself is an amazing game.

Caporegime
The no sync tech hasn’t really bothered me too much. My Ti as you’d imagine keeps up quite well with 4k and if anything I get a tiny bit of stutter at most but usually I just tune the settings to keep it running nice all the time which usually is the high settings at 4k.

Cost me £349.99 with destiny 2, the white one. Had one in local game store so grabbed it the other day as been meaning to get one for a while and god of war tipped me over to finally get one.

Which to be honest ain’t a bad price and it looks and performs very well indeed. 4k looks good on it just a shame about 30fps however it hasn’t bothered me half as much as I thought it would do and god of war itself is an amazing game.

I miss the bundle days where you got 2 controllers and like 3-4 games for £300! :p :(

But yes, that is the only thing that puts me of console gaming, 30 fps, wish they would target 60 fps @ 1080 instead of 4k @ 30 fps. Graphics are certainly stunning on consoles now, the exclusive titles look even better than most games on the PC :o

Really want to get one (especially for when spiderman comes out) but just don't want to be paying that much when the ps 5 is probably due in 1-2 years.

As it is, the main parts of my PC need upgraded for future gaming so I think I'll probably sell my desktop PC (the main stuff anyway) and get a laptop, I hate having a dedicated PC tower now and the desktop parts are too expensive for what they are now (at least the GPU side of things anyway....)

EDIT:

Another option which could be a viable alternative is that geforce now thing..... Looks to be superb performance etc. Only thing is it will need to get every game on it and not just nvidia sponsored games.....

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
doubt they will be more than the new spanking 4k 144hz HDR FALD monitors.. but I wouldn't be surprised if the price was equal or very close.

Pre-order prices in other countries are over £2000 for the new 4k 144hz HDR FALD monitors. I believe 4k at 144Hz is new, which will demand a higher price, but I suspect it is the HDR feature that is pushing the prices up with the new models. 34 or 35 inch UW monitors tend to cost more than 27" 144Hz monitors and 27" 4k models, so I am expecting the Acer Predator X35 200hz HDR and similar UW monitors to be over £2000.

Soldato
I miss the bundle days where you got 2 controllers and like 3-4 games for £300! :p :(

But yes, that is the only thing that puts me of console gaming, 30 fps, wish they would target 60 fps @ 1080 instead of 4k @ 30 fps. Graphics are certainly stunning on consoles now, the exclusive titles look even better than most games on the PC :o

Really want to get one (especially for when spiderman comes out) but just don't want to be paying that much when the ps 5 is probably due in 1-2 years.

As it is, the main parts of my PC need upgraded for future gaming so I think I'll probably sell my desktop PC (the main stuff anyway) and get a laptop, I hate having a dedicated PC tower now and the desktop parts are too expensive for what they are now (at least the GPU side of things anyway....)

EDIT:

Another option which could be a viable alternative is that geforce now thing..... Looks to be superb performance etc. Only thing is it will need to get every game on it and not just nvidia sponsored games.....

Yeah same haha would have been nice with a few games but at least it came with something I may play on it :p.

Yeah that’s the only downside however you can set it to performance mode (on god of war anyway) which Runs at roughly 60fps with lesser graphics.

But yeah god of war looks fantastic on it a lot better than I was expecting to be fair. One of the best hdr games I’ve seen too. Quite a few games I’ll play on it so will get good use for sure.

hux

hux

Soldato
There is a lot more to HDR than just max brightness/nits.

Is that philips using any kind of local dimming (preferably full array local dimming)?

I'm sure I read somewhere it's 32 panel local dimming.

• 4K UHD (3840x2160) resolution DisplayHDR 1000 quantum dot MVA screen with W-LED backlight, anti-glare coating
  • Colour gamut (min.): BT. 709 Coverage: 100%; DCI-P3 Coverage: 97.6%, Colour gamut (typical): NTSC 119%, sRGB 145%
  • Multi-View technology - two devices connected at once in PIP/PBP mode
  • Ambiglow technology
  • Low input lag
  • Adaptive Sync
  • HDMI/DisplayPort refresh rates: 23 - 80Hz
  • 4ms typical response time (GtG)
  • Flicker Free and Low Blue light modes
  • DTS sound and 7W x2 built-in speakers
  • Outputs: HDMI 2.0 x 1, DisplayPort 1.2, mini DisplayPort 1.2 x 1, USB-C (DP Alt mode)
  • USB: USB 3.0x2 (2 w/fast charging)
  • AmbiGlow
  • Remote control
  • Stand supplied offers only Tilt: -5/10 degree but the display has a VESA 100 mount system
  • Monitor uses 162W in typical operation
  • It weighs 14K.7g with the stand attached or 14Kg without

Soldato
There is a lot more to HDR than just max brightness/nits.

Is that philips using any kind of local dimming (preferably full array local dimming)?

No because it is £800 :) If you add £1200 we might be able to get you a 512 zone backlight. It has some limited zones but like the CHG90 these perform quite badly with bloom and haloing.

Caporegime
I'm sure I read somewhere it's 32 panel local dimming.

I only see local dimming mentioned by anandtech so probably not going to be very good at HDR, or at least, it will have issues i.e. halo'ing, bloom etc.

Also, it's not true 10 bit either, 8 bit + FRC.

No because it is £800 :) If you add £1200 we might be able to get you a 512 zone backlight. It has some limited zones but like the CHG90 these perform quite badly with bloom and haloing.

I'm not looking to buy as anything in the monitor market will be a step down from my lg e7 :p If I was though, I would be looking at TVs, get something far better and for cheaper/same price! :p

Caporegime
@Nexus18 is that LG model at £1700 the only choice for OLED right now? I'm getting a bit frustrated with the wait for an upgrade monitor, but £1700 is just as bad in terms of price for a TV.

Which model??? Mine? The E7? All of 2017 OLED TVs are the same panel, just different stands, speakers etc. Just get whatever is cheapest, as above, I think that is the cheapest going around currently, I would wait until the world cup though, guaranteed that there will be big reductions on numerous TVs around then, especially from currys (if you don't mind buying from them)

This years LG OLED models are the same again, except iirc, the B model uses a lesser chip, still good though.

Yup £1700 is pushing it for my liking too, but £1400/1500 isn't imo, with OLED, you get an image that no other display can come close to, also, you have to remember, you are paying for 55" worth of screen real estate (full and proper HDR support on top of a quality display tech. too) where as with these £1+k monitors, you're paying for 27-34" worth of screen real estate and LCD tech. :o

Soldato
@Nexus18 cheers. I've wrestled with the decision for ages now. I think I need to pick up a 55" TV and try it for size in my cave ... I can always demote it to the living room if I'm not happy gaming on it.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread OP.

Caporegime
@Nexus18 cheers. I've wrestled with the decision for ages now. I think I need to pick up a 55" TV and try it for size in my cave ... I can always demote it to the living room if I'm not happy gaming on it.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread OP.

Yup no harm in trying it out and if you don't want it at all then you got 14 days CCR to return it (currys are awful for this though but john lewis etc. have no issues with it)

Back
Top Bottom