Acer Predator XB271HU - upgrade to the XB270HU

Mobster
Soldato
So do these monitors have a high rate of BLB or glow?

Glow is part and parcel of IPS. To ensure you are thinking of glow and not blb is to move your head, if it dissapears its glow. When playing games though, its not something thats noticable (to me anyway) blb - well its still monitor lottery.

Soldato
I had previously bought a XB270HU but returned it due to dead pixels and excessive backlight bleeding. Despite Acer's abysmal quality control and horrid design aesthetics, I was still blown away by the IPS/144hz/Gsync combo, which looked absolutely stunning with many of the games I play. Hoped some decent manufacturers and different panels with the same features would come along by now, but unfortunately that has yet to happen. In any case, as much as I hate having to go with Acer again, it seems it is still the only option apart from the Asus, but that has the same problems but costs significantly more.

Anyway, got my XB271HU set up today and got ready for a massive dose of disappointment. Here are some pics:

3UAQaVt.jpg

PKhBYNm.jpg

5Ao87d2.jpg

35lD0Q4.jpg

mrh67dk.jpg

3eo5QdM.jpg

7WRW1Md.jpg

FUtaKbT.jpg

T1E933Q.jpg

Initial impresses are that it's a mixed bag, but definitely a lot better than the XB270HU I had. Starting with the good points, there are no dead/stuck pixels as far as I can see. Secondly, there is little or no backlight bleed that I can notice with brightness at 30 and in a completely dark room. Yes there is IPS glow, but it's far less than what I had on the XB270HU. The photos above make it look worse than it actually is; to the naked eye it looks more than acceptable to me. My current U2515H has virtually no backlight bleed with normal amounts of IPS glow and this is very close to that.

The build quality and general design seems considerably better. Still has the stupid "gaming" aesthetics, but none of the nasty glossy plastics around the border and the blue power light doesn't come through the gaps between the buttons. All in all, the build quality of the casing and stand seem to justify the price.

The colours look decent out of the box, and I only had to reduce brightness and make very minor adjustments to the RGB channels (using 97,93,100). Having said that, it just don't look as good as my Dell U2515H. It's not a massive difference, but the U2515H just has this richness, balance and solidity to all the colours that you instantly notice as soon as you compare them. However, I'm still happy with the colours of the Acer. It is more than acceptable for a gaming monitor and still miles ahead of any TN panel I have seen. As for the gaming performance, it is absolutely sublime and works perfectly. Not much else to say here!

Now the bad points. Firstly there is small but significant variation in white temperature across the screen. It's difficult to see in the picture above, but to the left of the middle of the screen, there is a slight yellow tinge, but on the far right, there is a blue tinge. It's not a problem in games, but when using Windows, it is quite noticeable and unfortunately just makes the image quality seem inconsistent and substandard (especially when compared to the Dell). Also, there is weird issue where I can see these feint grey lines (almost like a shadow) at the right edge of the screen. It doesn't look like a pixel defect, but some sort of issue with the border of the screen and the backlight. It looks almost like there is a gap between the top layer of the screen and the actual panel itself, causing the black border to cast a feint shadow along the edge. If I stare at this edge at 90 degrees (dead on), I can't see the shadow, but from normal viewing angles it is noticeable on light colour backgrounds. You can just about see it in one of the photos.

So in general, I would say it's better than I expected, but that's not really saying much. I feel inclined to get it replaced due to the poor white temperature consistency and the border shadow I mentioned, but i'm pretty sure I'll just end up replacing one defect for another. Either I will keep it or just return for a refund.

Why can't it just be perfect! :(

Soldato
5th pic down you can notice the almost turquoise tinge around the edges, although the 6th pic down you cant (or I cant). Weird.

That's because it's only occuring on the right edge of the screen. Also it actually looks more like a group of parallel feint grey lines, that changes position depending on your viewing angle, completelty disappearing when you are viewing at a right angle. The photo is blurry, which is why you can't see it clearly.

Either way, this is yet a again another example of Acers hopeless build quality. The fact that it's only happening at the right edge of the screen indicates some sort of fitting issue.

Such a shame.

Associate
anyone else getting a random line at the side of the screen that goes away by turning screen off and on again? also minimising games and maximising seems to fix it to any way to solve this happens about 2-3 times a day seems to happen when alt tabbing or even once when windows started the line seems like its a reflection of the movement on the screen hard to explain very odd.

Soldato
anyone else getting a random line at the side of the screen that goes away by turning screen off and on again? also minimising games and maximising seems to fix it to any way to solve this happens about 2-3 times a day seems to happen when alt tabbing or even once when windows started the line seems like its a reflection of the movement on the screen hard to explain very odd.

Yeah got this from time time. I think it's some issue with the monitor waking up to sleep, but turning it on and off seesm to fix it. Could be a firmware bug with the monitor.

I've returned the monitor now anyway, found the poor white uniformity and weird shadow described in my previous posts too distracting. Didn't notice the white uniformity too much until I put it side by side with my U2515H, after which it looked horrid in anything other than movies or games.

:(

Soldato

I get this sometimes, but it's not a random line, it's like a vertical pixel shift, for me it's usually pixels from the middle of the screen have moved to the side of the screen.

Can't pinpoint what causes it, it's rare I don't see it very often, turning off and on again fixes it.

Soldato
Got my replacement XB271HU. So what did I win this time in the monitor lottery?

Well, the weird border shadow issue is gone and backlight bleeding is pretty much nonexistant (just like the previous one). However, in return I get what is easily the worst white/temperature uniformity I've ever seen on a monitor. Initially I thought the backlight was faulty or something, but then after turning it one and off a few times and fiddling with the settings, nope, it's just that ****. At normal brightness levels it looks like a 20 year old LCD, with CCFL tubes on their last legs. You can easily see a a drop in temperature and brightness on both the left and right sides of the screen. Placing it next to my U2515H, the difference is night and day. The Dell just looks completely uniform across the entire screen and just leagues ahead in terms of vibrancy and colour accuracy. Finally to top it off, there is a bloody stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen! Absolutely shocking for a brand new £500+ monitor. :mad:

Sending this P.O.S. monitor back for a refund. Not sure who is to blame, Acer or AUOptronics, but why oh why isn't a reputable monitor/panel company not making a competing product? Surely there is a demand for high refresh IPS. If there is a saving grace, then it is that the backlight bleed and IPS glow is minimal on this monitor, with excellent black depth. Plus the responsiveness and gsync functionality is as close to perfect as I could expect. So clearly, it is totally feasible to make a high performance gaming IPS monitor. The only thing holding it back is the horrendous build quality of what is currently on offer.

Not going try my luck again with these panels. Will just have to deal with 60hz and no gsync for the time being it seems and at this rate it seems I may as well just wait for OLED to become financially viable.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're very lucky, and manage to get one without any flaws, it is more or less the perfect monitor. Unfortunately I've been through two (not including the previous XB270HU) and have found flaws that are simply too big to ignore.

The quality control on these panels is beyond poor, so bad I honestly believe it should be illegal to sell. An absolute travesty that such a sought after combination of monitor technologies is being delivered by some of the ******* companies on planet Earth. :mad:

Soldato
It truly is an abomination of a monitor in my view, or rather the panel is... went through 4 of the XB270's and 1 XB271 which was just as bad. It was such a frustrating experience, so I ended up with a B-grade X34 in the end which even with the small amount of bleed/glow that it had, was still x10 better than any of those junk AUO panels, especially regards white uniformity which is frankly appalling on these. As mentioned, it should be illegal to sell, don't know how they get away with it to be honest. :(

Associate
annoying there's a £200 difference for freesync but i guess you get what you pay for. Mine turned up today has 2 spots of slight backlight bleed but otherwise looks fine. buttons feel a bit wobbly on the front but thats the only complaint for build quality. Image quality is really nice even compared to my old asus ips screen, seems to have better colour representation too.

Soldato
annoying there's a £200 difference for freesync but i guess you get what you pay for. Mine turned up today has 2 spots of slight backlight bleed but otherwise looks fine. buttons feel a bit wobbly on the front but thats the only complaint for build quality. Image quality is really nice even compared to my old asus ips screen, seems to have better colour representation too.

Mind me asking which model number the Asus was? Just interested in that because I can find out which panel your old monitor has.

Back
Top Bottom