** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Caporegime
OP
Taking an engine out is a little beyond me at the moment! I meant a lack of someone willing to help as much as a lack of a hoist. Haha :p

Not something I want to be doing, nor is it something my Dad will help with, nor something he'll let me attempt to do myself without trying to make my life difficult every step of the way.

I was met with strong resistance when I told him what I was buying, but I think now he's calmed down he secretly digs it a little, and has been talking about replacing a few of his motorbikes with a classic car! :D

So I'll save that for if and when I re-build the engine/have the engine re-built. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're going to whip the engine out you may as well put in an S54, get the whole car derusted and resprayed, put in a DCT gearbox and install the new iDrive in it also. Easy.

Caporegime
OP
Car back from the garage.

List of things which need rectifying which I wasn't already aware of:

- Lollipop bushes
- Both front jacking points/inner arches going rotten, drivers side has a hole through to carpet!
- Brake pipes

Aside from that, all things I knew about.

The jacking points are weird though because the drivers side has a massive hole and yet the carpet doesn't seem to get wet! Passenger side doesn't have a visible hole but gets wet.

The full list is now:

- Full outer and inner sills both sides (no massive rush as they are pretty solid)
- Front jacking points both sides
- Inner nearside rear arch cut and weld (again, no rush as pretty solid)
- Boot floor cut and weld
- Offside inner front arch cut and weld
- Sump pan gasket + oil and filter service
- Drop links
- Lollipop bushes
- Brake pipes + fluid renew
- Clutch master cylinder
- Nearside front wheel bearing

Think that little lot will come to somewhere between £1500 and £2000.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guess once it's sorted it'll be in a decent nick.. being an old car it'll continue going wrong i bet but that's part of the fun.

Maybe then you can fully focus on sorting out the paint etc?

Back
Top Bottom