** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Caporegime
OP
Yeah it will most likely slowly fade to pink, but I hope it will take longer than a few months since I've taken quite a lot off of the paint, so the new paint I have exposed should theoretically stay red as long as the car originally stayed red for! I think... I hope...

Anyway, I think @Hyburnate is trying to sort some kind of UV coating to put over it once I/we have finished DA polishing it. Should help prolong its fading. :)

Soldato
Surprised no ones made a joke about you living at number 69...waheeyyyyY!

Ok i'll leave now...
getmecoat.gif

Associate
It will. I got mine detailed and it came up like brand new but after a few months it's worse than ever. Been quoted £1200 for roof, bonnet and boot lid to be sprayed and blended to doors and wings. Got the rear arches sorted last year and they're the colour the whole car should be and they'll never fade.

Caporegime
OP
Right then, update time. Sprayed the black section of the rear valance because it was all patchy:

s0qbfOkh.jpg

Before/after example:

eTLuwIOh.jpg
xYRmhxph.jpg

Did some mopping on the other side. The DA polisher was being a bit temperamental though so I didn't do it enough, its still slightly pink. Will give it another go when its not raining:

TNxQ7LWh.jpg

TNxQ7LW.jpg

Painted the front valance a bit better. Should have masked the tyres... Meh! It was mostly my mate who did this, sanded it down with a pad sander and primered/rattle canned. Still has some texture to it but its smooth in places because of the sanding. :p

tkhjAvBh.jpg

qVVF8Qlh.jpg

My mate did the yellow high beams on his car, he isn't sure about them. Personally I think they look great on a silver one!

[pic removed]

[pic removed]

Fixed @Voxination's polisher. This wire was loose and the tab it connects to was corroded:

5ljGTjlh.jpg

Cleaned the connection and squeezed the plug together a little so that it fits on tighter. Good as new, and works brilliantly. :)

pWzNn9ih.jpg

Mmmmm red...

CWJRXBdh.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Cheers guys. So much more to do... even after I've done the whole car with the DA, I have to decide what to do with all the little dents and scratches and bits, before it gets a UV coating put on.

Caporegime
OP
Can confirm. :p

I wouldn't do it though. I tried once (caved to peer pressure when exiting a Jap vs German meet in Essex) and it smelled a bit of clutch as well as tyre.

Back
Top Bottom