** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Caporegime
OP
I'm not convinced about the concept, the pricing, well whatever it is it's still going to be a fairly reasonable amount. I don't see the point in second hand turbos personally and I've never heard of cheap manifolds being worth it, admittedly I know nothing about BMWs in this regard.

In my eyes BMWs are all about the 6cyl (and above) N/A engines. Slapping a turbo on is just against the ethos.

Also, having had powerful cars in the past I think the hassle and expense of high power is pointless unless you use it (which you can't really do on the roads for longer than a few seconds) but that's just a general point.

Put your toys back in the pram please :p

You caught my post before I edited it, because I read your post originally, before you edited it. Toys are firmly in the pram again. :p :p

I was fully in agreement about the 6 cylinder N/A aspect of BMW's being what is so special about them, until I rode in one which had a turbo on it. Its totally different and ruins the linear N/A power, but my god its fantastic... :D

And yes I do sort of agree with your latter point as well, 400HP will be too much for road use in a light, old, RWD car, its just a figure that I have in my head and I want to achieve that figure. I would probably drive it on a low boost setting most of the time.

I might end up just using the 350BHP off-the-shelf kit linked above.

Caporegime
I seem to recall another member on here doing similar with a Rover K series engine, used parts, free parts, eBay gaskets etc. Engjne was in a black Lotus, turbo something or other.

Whatever happened to that fella?

Caporegime
OP
I seem to recall another member on here doing similar with a Rover K series engine, used parts, free parts, eBay gaskets etc. Engjne was in a black Lotus, turbo something or other.

Whatever happened to that fella?

You are getting a bit confused here now... This is a budget turbo build made with tried and tested parts, some of which may be second hand but that is because that is the only way to get them. I don't cheap out on things like gaskets and bushes and things, I use OE only. The only time I even uttered the word "free" is in reference to the injectors, and even then its only because I know people who break cars and have stock of this stuff, and they would be sent off to be refurbished/re-jetted. Rather refurbished second hand injectors than brand new chinese eBay tat. :o

Caporegime
You are getting a bit confused here now... This is a budget turbo build made with tried and tested parts, some of which may be second hand but that is because that is the only way to get them. I don't cheap out on things like gaskets and bushes and things, I use OE only. The only time I even uttered the word "free" is in reference to the injectors, and even then its only because I know people who break cars and have stock of this stuff, and they would be sent off to be refurbished/re-jetted. Rather refurbished second hand injectors than brand new chinese eBay tat. :o

You haven't even started yet. This car will be full of hand me downs, freebies and cheap parts.

Prove us wrong :)

Soldato
Acme, have some Holset inspiration.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=243661

That too started out as a cheap budget build, and then was forcibly made to escalate substantially in cost, maintenance and supporting mods - but that's beside the point.

If you have the disposable income and a reliable car for A-B then why not spend. I think the big concern most people have is that if you try and do it too cheaply, with too many used or recycled parts it compromises reliability and you'll end up chasing issue after issue and never have a usable 350bhp. On the other hand, a slightly more conservative but 'newer' set-up might not make the same power but be endlessly usable, and lets face it you want to be able to use your toy!

Soldato
Apologies but I'm still chuckling at the bubblejet printer injectors, lol :D

Please don't take offence, Acme...the post was clearly in jest and it's got me giggling :p

Caporegime
OP
I've been educated and apparently 400HP - 450HP on stock internals is fine IF you re-build the engine first... New rings, bearings, stem seals, quick hone, cut and lapped valves...

As it sits now they recon it would be safe at 300HP and maybe 350HP if I want to push my luck, which I don't.

So yeah. :p

Acme dun been schooled by the boosted E30 club I went crying to hoping they would call you lot idiots. Nope... Sorry. :D

Still, 300HP makes a lot more sense hey. 400 was a bit silly, but its a NICE NUMBER!!

Soldato
I've said it time and time again that most people speak from experience. Very few people on here have digs at you for no reason.

Associate
This is why these boards are **** for this kind of thing. Step outside of the box and you get pounced on. :p

Pretty much. If you are doing something they wouldn't do, they become world renowned armchair mechanics/experts.
It's fine to express an opinion but if you are calling out others for being wrong whilst being wrong yourself you achieve nothing but making yourself look a tit.
It's quite likely that the build will cost more than you predict, but if it's your money who gives a fudge..? Apparently everybody.

Back
Top Bottom