1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** Acme buys a second Grandad wagon - 2001 S60 T5 thread **

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Acme, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Acme

Caporegime

Fitted a new knob. Genuine spaceball specific ones command 50 or 60 quid which is ridiculous so I thought I'd try a brushed metal one. I think it matches the rest of the shift surround quite nicely, though the shibang as a whole is now even less inkeeping with the rest of the interior... :p

[​IMG]

And got new boots fitted. Today in the wet the ditchfinders span up in 3rd gear at 2500RPM when I put my foot down :eek:

No such dramas with these and they haven't even been broken in yet.

[​IMG]

The replacement front wing also arrived but I'm not going to be fitting it just yet because its soaking wet outside.

Had a good look in all the arches etc when the wheels were off, all the bushes etc look bang-on with no perishing I can see, drop links all look new, front drive shafts look newer than the car, and the boots look brand new, brake pads all have loads of meat on them, one rear disk is quite badly scored though so I'll probably do rear disks and pads.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. LiE

Capodecina

Alloys need a good refurb!

3. nicRob

Wise Guy

A nice comfortable daily, do like my 03 V70 D5. That extra stick on wood is nasty though :p

I think it's too old for the spaceball and that steering wheel from the factory, so maybe retrofitted at a later date? Certainly not seen that steering wheel on many pre 04 (from memory)...

4. Acme

Caporegime

Yeah maybe. The steering wheel is definitely original, later ones had a different airbag with the Volvo emblem and some contouring on the plastic. It's going to have the wrong centre console too when the replacement comes. It's a V70 one with a small covered cubby and a cup holder.

And yes the wheels need a refurb, I'll do it myself when I can be bothered. Might go for the graphite colour the pegasus R alloys are done in. I think it would go well with the deep red, especially if I put springs on it...

5. Acme

Caporegime

Small panic as the high beams fog lights and instrument back lighting stopped working, but luckily it was just that the plug on the back of the headlight switch had come loose. :p

Didn't realise that's what it was right away because being a volvo the headlights turn on with ignition :p

6. Acme

Caporegime

Replaced the plates and plate surrounds, no more crusty chrome and faded plates. Also gave it a good wash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noticed while washing it that I need new blades for the headlight wipers, and the foglight covers are naaasty.

7. paradigm

Caporegime

Does that exhaust really stick out half a foot, or is it a dodgy camera angle for it?

8. Acme

Caporegime

Haha no it doesn't.

9. Gaijin

Don

Ha, that's the area I used to park in at Holmbush. Widest spaces to prevent door dings on the Evo ;)

10. thedazman67

Wise Guy

That fake wood trim looks god awful, looks like that has that been added by a previous owner some of the the cut outs for the lettering actually chop some of the letters off

11. Acme

Caporegime

You know it. :D

I sometimes park along the back opposite the petrol station too cos nobody bothers to drive that far unless its packed...

Yep I know, though I believe it was fitted by a Volvo dealership at some point. Either pre-sale, or before its second owner. I had a quick go at getting it off but its stuck fast, so I'll leave it for the time being. It doesn't bother me as much as it did.

I've decided that its too much of a job to change to a black interior, so I'll stick with the cream. Everything is cream. Seats, dashboard, cowling, door cards, pillar trims, carpet, head liner, even the back of the instrument cluster behind the plastic/glass.

If I can get the seats looking presentable, and get that wood stuff off, it will look pretty fine though. :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  12. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Heat gun and peel it. It will come off.

13. vanpeebles

Soldato

Letting acme loose with a heat gun inside of a car sounds pretty scary. He will turn the dash into a Dali artwork :D

14. Acme

Caporegime

Have to say that taking a heat gun to interior plastics doesn't sound like the best idea.

15. agw_01

Capodecina

Hairdrier then! Even you couldn't mess that up :D

Car looks good, always liked the idea of a fast Volvo, especially an estate. 850R/V70R <3

16. Cookeh

Sgarrista

That is the way Volvo do it! You would have to be seriously lacking in common sense to do any damage to the plastic underneath.

17. Uncle_Gravy

Mobster

What's the score with the exhaust? Chrometips over standard system or something a bit aftermarket going on? Bet the 5cyl sounds the nuts if its an aftermarket jobby going on back there

18. Acme

Caporegime

Well I'll have a go :p
    I dont have a little heat gun though just a big one about the size of a large hairdryer.

It has a stainless backbox at the very least, I havent got underneath it to see if the whole cat-back is stainless or not.

It's still fairly muted but definitely sounds good.

Thanks, I would have liked an R but didn't want to spend that much on one. A V70 would have been fine too but this is already a fairly large car and the V70 is even longer. The boot in the S60 is cavernous enough. I can climb into it and there's enough room for a second me. There are three 17" tyres in there at the mo. :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  19. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Just keep in mind that the temp to weaken the adhesive is significantly lower than the plastics Tg. So basically just keep it moving, don't need to get a lot of heat into any single spot. Hope you have a good tar and glue remover for afterward!

20. Funky-Melon

Gangster