ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro NVME M2

Soldato
OP
Anyone?
Worth a purchase at £150 delivered for the 1TB?
£60 cheaper than the Samsung equivalent but seems to match it's performance and still has a 5 year warranty.

Man of Honour
corsair mp510 960gb would be the better buy for the same price. if only for the warranty, as you can deal with corsair.
although adata is a well established brand, not sure how uk warranties are handled.
(also fwiw, mp510 is the faster drive)

Associate
I have this drive in my system, excellent speed and a decent price....check out the reviews, you'll see there are all in similar margins of performance.

Soldato
OP
I have this drive in my system, excellent speed and a decent price....check out the reviews, you'll see there are all in similar margins of performance.

That's good to hear. I just spotted this drive online and it looked fairly impressive for the price. I didn't realise there were a couple of decent speed drives at this price point now so it kind of surprised me.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Tamzzy. The Corsair certainly seems to be more up to the job on paper anyway!! I see places are selling the MP510 for £140 now so I think I may go for that tomorrow.

Man of Honour
So what about the bench marks posted above showing that it is better?
Will there be a noticeable difference between the two in the real world?
just scrolled through and noticed you got incorrect info again.
those tests that 4k8kw10 posted are correct, but twisted out of context.
what's more important are the simulated real life tests that anandtech does. ie their "destroyer", "heavy" and "light" workloads.
light tests are most indicative of the usual desktop loads that 99.9% people will run.
you can see the graphs from their website so i won't bother posting here again. except this quote:

When the Light test is run on an empty drive, the SM2262EN SSDs offer excellent performance, but it's not meaningfully better than what last year's models did with the original SM2262 controller.
What's changed is that full-drive performance is much worse, and the gap between empty and full drive performance is much larger for the Light test than for the Heavy test.

basically with the adata sx8200, with a full (or full-ish) drive...it becomes as slow as (or even slower than) a sata3 ssd...lol
good way to spend money. not.

Soldato
OP
just scrolled through and noticed you got incorrect info again.
those tests that 4k8kw10 posted are correct, but twisted out of context.
what's more important are the simulated real life tests that anandtech does. ie their "destroyer", "heavy" and "light" workloads.
light tests are most indicative of the usual desktop loads that 99.9% people will run.
you can see the graphs from their website so i won't bother posting here again. except this quote:

basically with the adata sx8200, with a full (or full-ish) drive...it becomes as slow as (or even slower than) a sata3 ssd...lol

I see, That's good to know and thank you for clearing that up. Its a bit clearer now I've looked at everything again using your explanation.

Associate

Interesting....I ran CyrstalDiskMark on my drive at 9% full and again at 93% full, which I would consider to be 'emptyish' and both 'fullish'.....results are similar:

Note: I didn't run until I got 'golden figures'....just ran it off the bat.

9% - emptyish:
FEJw8Wm.jpg

93% - fullish:
iXadAmL.jpg

And an MX500 on sata for ref:
ax5Tc1A.jpg

Soldato
OP
To be fair, I think in the real world would we even notice a difference between the two running at optimum speed? Depending on the use case I suppose.

Man of Honour
Interesting....I ran CyrstalDiskMark on my drive at 9% full and again at 93% full, which I would consider to be 'emptyish' and both 'fullish'.....results are similar:
Note: I didn't run until I got 'golden figures'....just ran it off the bat.
good to see user's real world results. but in itself, as you say, interesting...lol
just having a quick gander at the results...the sequential queue depth 32 results are expected of a nvme drive.
but the 4kb queue depth 1 results are vastly different to anandtech's:

CXQBOyZ.png qnxpjoj.png
vs 47-60mb/s and 146-148 mb/s on yours, respectively.

making some long-drawn assumptions (yeah ass-u-me, i know)...it may be possible that anandtech didnt report on empty/full results on synthetic tests as these don't show up any difference, and it's only on their simulated workload tests that the ssd's controller/nand start to show up their deficiencies.
i guess one can say it's like having a 1/4 mile drag race vs a gran prix...lol...who knows...

To be fair, I think in the real world would we even notice a difference between the two running at optimum speed? Depending on the use case I suppose.
negligible at best. zero difference at worst.
even going from sata 3 to nvme yields very little real-world difference...unless hammering the storage subsystem, in which case then the mp510 makes the most sensible choice as it has vastly superior write endurance - 1700tb (mp510) vs 650tb (sx8200p)

Soldato
OP
I reckon for my use case I would have not noticed any difference if I just went for another 1TB mx500 for my system drive. Ah well, live and learn I guess.

Back
Top Bottom