1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Admiral reckon any non-factory part on my car is a modification

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MrRockliffe, May 31, 2019.

1. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Floor mats :D

Do you have to declare a magic tree too?

2. robj20

Sgarrista

I've had two claims with them as well, both times the car would have had bosch or piaa wipers, mats.
    One they did pull up the fact i had a quick shift and bumper splitter. To which i said it was second hand and i had no idea. No issues.
    Both times they were a pleasure to deal with.

3. Funky-Melon

Gangster

It's one of the reasons I left Admiral too. Absolutely stupid.

On my old Volvo I swapped the wheels for 17" alloys, added a strut brace, changed the radio and didn't declare any of them but only because all of the parts were genuine Volvo parts and could have been specified for my model from the factory when new.

Even then it's potentially risky but unless anyone has the original spec sheet for the car when it was purchased, how the hell are they meant to know....

4. robj20

Sgarrista

There not expected to know. Which is why every single insurance policy has the note along the lines of "as far as you know"

5. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Is that means a Polestar remap for mine isn't considered a mod ? :D

6. Funky-Melon

Gangster

Many insurance companies don't do much about the Polestar mod from what I've read.

It's complete crap though in terms of value for money, little gain for the cost. Far better off with an MTE map IMO, cheaper and more power.

My Uncle is a master tech at Volvo and even he doesn't recommend them to customers :D

7. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Despite that its what it normally says whilst going through the quote stage. Part of the problem is also that they are all different on how they treat mods, so you need to be particularly careful when going through comparison sites.
    I have never heard of any insurer being interested in wiper blades though :)

8. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

But MTE map I would need to declare though right?

9. Funky-Melon

Gangster

Yes, however, when I declared my last remap it was £30. I was also 22 at the time....

MTE map takes yours to 260hp for around £400 vs 250hp for £750 from the polestar.

You'll also be at over 400nm of torque which makes the real difference.

10. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Auto box though…..

11. Funky-Melon

Gangster

Ah, you'll be torque limited in first but it'll still make a difference.

Definitely worth having. Our T5 is a bit 'limp' in standard mode, unlike the older high pressure turbo T5's.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

Surely that creates a big grey area for used cars. You could play dumb (or genuinely not notice) with any mods and they have no way to prove otherwise. "Yea I didn't know it was remapped", or "what's a coilover?".

13. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Bye bye Admiral then if they are going to play silly buggers.
    Lots of insurance companies out there, i change all the time as they tend to mess me about with crap second or third year quotes... so ta ta then.

14. Resident

Wise Guy

Manufacturers keep a record which can be accessed. It keeps a record of the car's spec as it rolled off the line plus any additional warranty/recall notice/work

I used to be able to access Ford's ETIS and look at everything my car came with, which was useful when one of the rear shocks went and I almost bought just 1 to replace it. Checked ETIS for the part number and found out it was fitted with self-levelling shocks on the rear, each costing 400 quid. I bought 2 standard ones for just over 100 quid and swapped out the self-levelling. Hasn't affected the car in the slightest.

15. grudas

Capodecina

They're funny with their mods..

It's along the lines of please pay to add them but if you crash we won't be replacing them.. which is why I went with a different company on renewal

16. dacads

Capodecina

Can't go wrong with their multicar policy, renewal was £100 more so rang them up and got it reduced by almost £500.

17. SarGara

Hitman

Any decent company (such as most brokers) wouldnt have "tried it on" to shaft you with the £100 increase in the first place.

18. Drollic

Mobster

Ask them how to proceed when the specific factory fitted tyres for your car are no longer manufactured.

19. dacads

Capodecina

True but most of the saving was due to additional drivers not needed being removed

20. robinbanks

Gangster

Better make sure you read the manual for your car, You will be kicking yourself if you filled up with normal supermarket fuel when you are supposed to be only using bp ultimate fuel and find your insurance is invalid :D.

I think someone might be a fedup working for them so is trying to get them to losse costomers. I've never had a issuse getting insurance with them, But they will charge you extra on nearly everything. Plus they are really crap for payouts i would avoid if possible.