Adventure vs road bike

Soldato
I’m looking to start commuting to my workplace more frequently. It’s currently 10 miles each way along a pan flat road. It’s 100% road, no bike paths or off-road sections. The road surface is average.

I’ve got a nice road bike, but it’s too nice for everyday commuting so I’m thinking of getting something cheap which I don’t mind leaving at work.

My dilemma is whether to go for a pure road bike (e.g. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-razor-vr-road-bike-2019-sora/), or for an adventure bike (e.g. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-substance-adventure-road-bike-sora-2019/). The thinking behind the latter is that I can use it on some of the bike paths around here when I’m not commuting which are too sketchy for a road bike (I currently use a battered old single speed 29’er in such situations!). It would probably be 90/10 split for commute/leisure.

Would an adventure bike like the one linked feel to cumbersome and draggy compared to the road bike on my commute do you think? Would the comfort for the more relaxed setup and chunkier tyres out-weigh the speed differential?

Soldato
OP
What's your current bike? (the one you don't want to use for commuting?)

Not sure how a bike can be 'too nice' to commute on. I ride my S-Works to work (when it;s not hibernating over winter)

It’s a Vitus Vitesse Evo CRi Disc. Not as nice as an S-Works granted, but I bet you have someone safe to store it whilst at work - I don’t.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Commuting on it would be a blast, but I’d be worried about someone stealing it, it would be cheaper to repair and maintain an old warhorse, and the aggressive position might take its toll when I up the mileage.

Soldato
That's a fair point.

I think I was ultimately asking because it depends if you just wanted a 'donkey' to get you to/from work, or something that you can 'train' on a bit to improve your cycling, if you even interested in that. Hence why I asked if you couldn't already use what you have.

Soldato
Gravel bike, the difference is (from GCN videos) is negligible on the roads, but adds loads of versatility.

I went from a carbon road bike to a gravel bike - although my old road bike was getting on a bit, from looking at my average speeds and times on Strava, I haven't noticed any difference - although it's a lot comfier. The newer components/drivetrain certainly helps as well.

Soldato
Buy a great gravel bike. Sell your pointless road bike.

Buy a second wheelset for said gravel bike.

Have one wheelset for 'good' and one for commuting. Switching tyres on the 'good' between fast road/summer tyres and off-road/gravel type tyres.

One Bike to Rule Them All! :cool: ;)

Soldato

Have one wheelset for 'good' and one for commuting. Switching tyres on the 'good' between fast road/summer tyres and off-road/gravel type tyres.

This is what I'm considering doing as I am in need of a new bike and while I'd love a bike for every purpose I can't justify it (especially as I'm after a new hardtail mtb too!).

I'd be using it for road (including triathlon until I go all out with a tri bike) and gravel use. Looking at Ribble /Orro at the moment

Soldato

That’s my plan, skinner road tyres for summer commuting, chunkier ones for other tyres of riding :cool:

Back
Top Bottom