Advertising rules going too far?

Caporegime
So Katie price and some others have been banned from advertising weight loss cap on instagram because she's already slim?

The ASA said the ads from Ms Price and Ms Goodger had created the impression that it was "necessary or advisable" for people who were already slim to use products that suppress their appetites.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-50124719

Is it all getting a bit too much with body positivity stuff that people are deemed too thin to advertise "health" products at what isn't a really very thin size?

Associate
I remember seeing the slim fast advert with Alexandra Burke and thinking that's a crock of **** as I doubt she has ever relied on that stuff to keep thin.

But then I suppose it's no more dishonest than Lorraine Kelly flogging all the weight loss stuff when she actually had a gastric band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I guess its so that it doesnt encourage people within the normal weight range to start thinking they need to take such products to become even thinner to the point it might encourage eating disorders?

Associate
more to the point if katie price is marketing a product you can be pretty sure it's a scam. their slim pills are probably placebos at best or dangerous at worst.

The whole diet pill market should be banned.

Tea Drinker
Don
If your Instagram feed contains any of these people you should be banned.

It's a lovely echo chamber of your mind, mines full of hot crossfit girls, guns and anything JRE. It's a happy place with occasional screaming.

Soldato
I'm sure I can remember seeing Carol Voderman advertising a financial product with a high APR and can remember thinking that she can't consider that a good idea to be recommending to people as comming from her is almost an afirmation that the rate is good when infact I'm guessing she'd advertise it at whatever rate as long as they paid her deccently!

Soldato
Nope, not too far at all, the ASA are doing what they're designed to do when the platforms themselves refuse to regulate (or at least react to) what people post and promote.

Unfortunately those ads will have been posted weeks or months ago so the damage is already done in terms of audience and the "influencers" getting paid.

Back
Top Bottom