Advice for moving into the IT career sector.

Soldato
I am just coming to the end of a 16yr career in the RAF. I'm retraining from being a hands on aircraft engineer to focus on a network support role. After many years as an "IT hobbyist", I decided IT was the career path I wanted. I'm currently on an 8 week training course where the core is focused on networks and server administration. Been working in active directory on domain, organisational unit and group policies and administering users and computers. I engoy this kind of work as well as the hardware side e.g. switches, hubs and client PC installations. I have for the past 2 years been heavily involved in analysing, amending and creating asset mangement data for a large military database.

I would appreciate any serious advice for someone who has a good technical background, high personal standards and a flexiable approach to work but doesn't have long term IT industry experience.

sorry if it's long winded but wanted to explain my background in detail.

thank's in advance.

Soldato
without experience your hardest job will be getting your foot in the door :)

imo qualifications and degrees come second now a days to experience - what im trying to say is you will have to start somewhere so don't set your expectations too high :)

Back
Top Bottom