Advice - Girlfriend & kids moving in

Associate
Hi folks,

I currently have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement which is now running month to month. I would like to be able to name my girlfriend and her kids as living with me without having her as a joint tenant as she currently doesn't work, has no credit history, currently lives in social housing on income support and the various other benefits you get when you are registered disabled and signed off.

The general idea is that we will begin living together as a family with me fully responsible for paying the rent and bills until such a point when she is able to work.

I understand that she will lose some of her benefits and others will need to be changed, it is largely irrelevant as I'm paying for the house whilst living on my own anyway so makes no difference to me.

So I guess my question is providing I let my landlord (agency) know they are moving in would she need to become a joint tenant (which will carry fees, a credit check and all the associated rubbish that goes with it).

I'm planning on marrying her and adopting her children eventually as we are already like a family, just living in different homes at the moment. (mine is the better house - hence her moving in with me)..

Anyone with any experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Associate
Does it mention anything on your lease / contract?
Slightly OT but you would need to let the council know as well as I presume you are paying a discouted rate living on your own?

Associate
I rent a house which i live in with my girlfriend and children and never had to notify the landlord or agent as to who was going to live there. As long as you are not sub-letting I don't see an issue , let the agency/landlord know out of courtesy but the tenancy is in your name so i don't see how this would affect anything. I know there are some lettings agency peeps on the forum that will probably be better advised than me :)

Soldato
I rent a house which i live in with my girlfriend and children and never had to notify the landlord or agent as to who was going to live there. As long as you are not sub-letting I don't see an issue , let the agency/landlord know out of courtesy but the tenancy is in your name so i don't see how this would affect anything. I know there are some lettings agency peeps on the forum that will probably be better advised than me :)
This is the case as far as I know. The one paying the rent is all they care about.
Since OP has stated that she's not earning, it shouldn't matter. She may need to do something about stopping her housing benefits as she wouldn't be entitled.

@OP, Give your landlord / agent a call and ask them directly?

Associate
OP
Does it mention anything on your lease / contract?
Slightly OT but you would need to let the council know as well as I presume you are paying a discouted rate living on your own?

Yep I realise that, we will get all the benefits stuff sorted etc.

No need to run away seriously, all is good.

My contract says no subletting however I won't be subletting, I'm simply providing a roof over their heads like any normal bloke with a family would.

Soldato
As long as you're paying the bills, and the owner isn't a complete tool i don't see it being a problem, they still get the cash...

at least that's how i see it lol

Associate
OP
This is the case as far as I know. The one paying the rent is all they care about.
Since OP has stated that she's not earning, it shouldn't matter. She may need to do something about stopping her housing benefits as she wouldn't be entitled.

@OP, Give your landlord / agent a call and ask them directly?

Yeah her housing benefit will be stopped, we are keeping it all above board and official, as I'm the working one in the house we should get working tax credits.

As I said before I rent this house on my own and pay through the nose for it anyway so having them move in will make very little difference. If anything we will be better off financially.

Associate
Her giving up a secure tenancy is verging on daft.

The LL may not care, but the agent will probably insist on adding her to the tenancy so that they can claim fees from you. This would usually be covered by a clause in the contract.

Soldato
I'd look into it very carefully as you'll probably be much worse off financially than you already are. You gain an extra three or four mouths to feed and probably won't qualify for working tax credits at all unless your wage is a pittance.

Your council tax will instantly jump as you'll lose the 25% discount as a single occupier.

You will be entitled to childrens tax credits as a joint claim, but again the amount you receive is unlikely to bridge the financial drain of an extra three or four people in the house.

If she gets maintenance off her ex, remember you'll lose it as soon as you adopt the kids; in the event you then break up with her you'd become the one that the CSA go after, not the biological father.

Don't forget to factor in dinner money, fares, day trips, school uniforms (expect £300+ per year per kid if they end up in money-grabbing academy schools), regular clothes etc.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just offering a bit of cautionary advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Run away, run away run far far away.

KaHn

/edit :- I realise this may not be helpful

Wait, are the kids babies or older? I know this sounds bad, but my sister will never see it. SO, she has a baby, he cries every time he is tired & it is time for a nap. He goes to bed ok at night, so I just don't get it. Plus she does this SSSHHHHH thing, it is kind of loud & annoying. My mom can lay him in the Pack 'n' Play & not wake him from a nap, my sister does the SSSHHH thing & that only wakes him.. We have to sit & be quite, but she SSSHHH him at the same time. First of all, put him in another room that is dark & quite. Oh, she is visiting, so that is why I am ranting & she is staying another week, yippy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom