Advice (legal) on lending money

Soldato
Hi guys quick question related to lending money, I have lent money to someone (not related) which is a fair sum, I am happy that they will pay me back but I am going to be lending them the same again, (I know exactly what its going on etc so there is no problem there)

My question was because of the sum involved, (substantial) what is the best way to get some sort of 'legal' paperwork to show they owe me that amount, am I best of asking a soliciter, I am confident they will pay me back when they can but should things go wrong I would like to have some legal recourse, (we both agreed this would be the best thing to do)

Thanks again!

Soldato
Write a contract which dictates how much he borrowed and when he agrees to pay to the specified sum back and get him to sign it?

Soldato
does a piece of paper literally written with the terms of lending/when its to be paid back by signed and dated by both parties create a legal contract?
It's complicated.

But get the contract doubley-witnessed (theirs and yours) by people not related or not in anyway liable to benefit from either side. Difficult to argue with that.

But, I wouldn't lend 'substantial' money. That's what banks are for.

Caporegime
Hi guys quick question related to lending money, I have lent money to someone (not related) which is a fair sum, I am happy that they will pay me back but I am going to be lending them the same again, (I know exactly what its going on etc so there is no problem there)

My question was because of the sum involved, (substantial) what is the best way to get some sort of 'legal' paperwork to show they owe me that amount, am I best of asking a soliciter, I am confident they will pay me back when they can but should things go wrong I would like to have some legal recourse, (we both agreed this would be the best thing to do)

Thanks again!

Put your money into a saving account and earn interest, tell your friend to get loan at said bank and then let the bank worry about getting payments on time etc. The bank will take a cut of the profits but will also be taking on the risk on your half, the remainder of the profits will be paid to you in interest in your savings account, roughly.

Soldato
Serious post:

Go to a solicitor with whoever you're lending the money to, and get a contract drawn up and signed that is witnessed by the solicitor.

"Contracts" written on a bit of paper are useless in court, if it would ever come to that.

Solicitor fee's would probably be no more than £50-80.

Soldato
Contracts going to be useless if the guys got sod all anyway. What would you hope to get out of it if he's in breach of contract and he's got nothing to repay it with?

Soldato
OP
under 10k just for reference, not possible for them to get it from the bank, (I should point out its someone who I'm in a relationship with so its a little different than just lending to a mate) its for a holiday we are both going on

Back
Top Bottom