Advice needed: 27" LED for around £200-£250

Associate
Hi everyone.

Just joined the forums but been an OC UK fan for many years. Had a nice little home desktop built by the guys last year and it doesn't skip a beat.

I recently bought an Asus24" VE247H from a well known store but after having various ghosting issues, dead pixels, flickering screens and two replacements I thought it was time to get a refund and buy one from OverClockers.

I am looking for something nice and big to play the likes of Flight Simulator, browse the web, bit of software i.e. PhotoShop, Word etc. The only game I am likely to play is Flight Sim as my Xbox is for the likes of Call Of Duty, Gears etc.

So I'm after something preferably 27". I was looking at:
IIyama Prolite B2776HDS 27" Widescreen LED Business Monitor
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-083-IY&groupid=17&catid=1120&subcat=

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Alex.

Associate
OP
It seems the same spec as the business model to me. Plus I'm not a big fan of the gloss bezel. Just another dust accumulator!

Associate
Bought one of these myself a few weeks ago, absolutely brilliant, plenty of display settings to go through and set up to customize to your liking.

Plus it's a TV!

EDIT: Just saw the budget :(
LG do a similarly spec'd monitor, except it also does passive 3D and is a little closer to the OP's budget. Then again, it is an LG product and it matters how he'd feel about that :D.

And you might want to edit out that link you posted :rolleyes:.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice so far. I'd like to stay clear of LG and Asus. I'd be after maybe a Samsung, Iiyama or BenQ.

Associate
OP
Prob the 17 odd reviews compared to the single 1 for the business model?

Soldato
To be clear the B2776HDS does get some good reviews, including this one from the highly regarded prad.de website. Though I would say that at this large size a TN panel isn't ideal as the inherently poor viewing angles can compromise the image when sitting relatively close (especially if you are doing colour critical work).

However, considering your uses I would strongly recommend you at least consider going for a monitor with an IPS panel. The best one in your budget is the Dell U2412M. This may only be a 24in, but it does offer a 16:10 aspect ratio and 1920x1200 resolution as well as the lovely E-IPS type panel (which offers superior colour accuracy and much wider viewing angles than the TN panel monitors). Here and here are some in depth reviews of this monitor.

It is also worth having a look at this thread about 27in IPS panel 2560x1440 monitors people are getting from korea. The feedback seems to be very good and they should be just within your budget.

Associate
OP
Only thing with the Dell is the 8ms response time? I have had Dell monitors before and no dead pixels! Does the Ultra Sharp have that policy where you can return if you find a single dead pixel?

Ideally is like a 27" but I'll give the Dell some food for thought. The response time worries me a bit but looks nice!

Soldato
Yes, the Dell does have an inferior response time to the modern TN panels - but it is really a question of whether you will notice this difference for the things that you do.

There are many people of these forums that use this monitor for gaming and don't have any problems with it (though admittedly there are some who can't abide it and generally switch it for a TN panel 120Hz monitor).

From the prad.de review this is what they say about the response times:

Subjective assessment

The IPS panel of U2412M was trimmed to short switching times. The 6-bit colour control, as it is in use almost exclusively with TN panels otherwise, helps provide the display quite speedy response times – considered we deal with an IPS panel here! The overdrive circuit does the rest, but it is metered in such fashion that, in synthetic tests, artefacts are detected only to a relatively minor extent.

Playing fast games on the DELL U2412M is also possible. What is noteworthy is the fact that, despite fast response times, on a subjective level, the overdrive is barely noticeable in a negative way, something you cannot claim when it comes to the fastest TN panels, which get out a few milliseconds more here.

As for the pixel policy, yes this U2412M is an Ultrasharp so it receives the same great service that all the other Dell Ultrasharps get - which includes a 3 year at-your-doorstep replacement service and the "premium pixel guarantee" - though please be aware that this guarantee refers only to "bright pixels", like most other manufacturers there is officially a tolerance for dead pixels. That said, Dell tend to use the highest grade panels available so your chance of getting a pixel perfect screen is as good as any of teh big monitor manufacturers and their monitor support service is great - so if you aren't happy they are worth calling up as they may authorise a replacement anyway. If they don't then you can always use DSR and get a full refund (though this is available for all monitors bought from a UK online retailer).

Last edited:
Associate
Only thing with the Dell is the 8ms response time? I have had Dell monitors before and no dead pixels! Does the Ultra Sharp have that policy where you can return if you find a single dead pixel?

Ideally is like a 27" but I'll give the Dell some food for thought. The response time worries me a bit but looks nice!

+1

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I'm looking at getting either a 24 or a 27inch monitor. I like the idea of an ips monitor but all the ones I've seen have slower response times. I've had a look at the thread about the korean monitors but is prefer a monitor from a UK retailer so I'd have no warranty issues

Associate
OP
I'm grateful for all the help so far. It's been a real help. I'm just waiting for my OC 10% code to come through then looks like I'll be snapping up the Dell.

I don't think I'd notice the slower response times. In my opinion it's the contrast and colour representation that means the most to me. Despite it being only 24" the resolution is that bit bigger.

Unless someone else comes along to change my mind looks like the Dell then!

Associate
For 1080p I would recommend one smaller then 27".
If going 27" it's best to look at 2560x1440 or 2560x1600

I agree. 27" is not worth it if you are only getting 1080p. Get the Dell, unless you want to take a punt on those Catleap monitors from the other thread or a B-grade Hazro (which I did, and I'm very happy with it).

Associate
Prob the 17 odd reviews compared to the single 1 for the business model?

I thought that might be why. I think he meant more reviews rather than "better" reviews. I'm ordering a B2776HDS. I'll let you know what it's like.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks please do.

It will arrive tomorrow. My other screens are IPS with higher PPI so I can give you some honest feedback rather than speculation. You often hear from U2711/Hazro users that have not used a 1080p 27 incher and vice versa so you're not usually getting an impartial review.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp U2412M since I got my 10% code emailed to me.

Delivery is coming on Friday. Thanks for all the input and advice. It really pointed me in the right direction.

Regards,
Alex.

Associate
OP
Got the monitor and am very happy with it. How do I go about registering for the 3 year warranty?

Top Bottom