Advice Needed for Complete PC Beginner Please!

Associate
I am a complete beginner when it comes to building PCs and PC Gaming.

My main aim is to build a PC that will allow me to play the following games at 1080p and at ultra settings with a good FPS:

Company of Heroes 2
Dawn of War 3
Warhammer Total War 2

I know that these games are not the newest strategy games available, but I would like to start small and upgrade if I find I am enjoying playing on a PC.

Please can anyone suggest a PC build for the above? It will need to include the main tower plus peripherals, as I have nothing!

My budget all in is around £800.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Associate
If you are super tight for money, use a TV to start and get a monitor and speakers later. It's not ideal but you won't initially notice :) Otherwise, get a good 1440 monitor to keep and deduct it from budget.

Without putting together a specific build which can be learnt from reading other threads, I'd more generally suggest starting with a 250 gig SSD for windows etc and an HDD for storage, 16 gigs of ram (you only need 4 or 8 but it's cheap at present), an amd socket 4 motherboard and a 1xxx or 2xxx series amd ryzen chip that can be swapped later to a 3xxx chip (and a few have half decent graphics built in). Others will spend the rest of your cash on the best possible graphics card for your budget and/or say to get a newer chip to start with.

Keyboard and mouse not much, case not much and PSU you want half decent. Say £100 for that lot, coming to maybe £450 plus graphics card

Windows would normally be £5 ish for a key but if you don't have a buddy to put it on USB for you, auction sites will sell you an SSD with windows pre-installed which could be handy.

Associate
OP
If you are super tight for money, use a TV to start and get a monitor and speakers later. It's not ideal but you won't initially notice :) Otherwise, get a good 1440 monitor to keep and deduct it from budget.

Without putting together a specific build which can be learnt from reading other threads, I'd more generally suggest starting with a 250 gig SSD for windows etc and an HDD for storage, 16 gigs of ram (you only need 4 or 8 but it's cheap at present), an amd socket 4 motherboard and a 1xxx or 2xxx series amd ryzen chip that can be swapped later to a 3xxx chip (and a few have half decent graphics built in). Others will spend the rest of your cash on the best possible graphics card for your budget and/or say to get a newer chip to start with.

Keyboard and mouse not much, case not much and PSU you want half decent. Say £100 for that lot, coming to maybe £450 plus graphics card

Windows would normally be £5 ish for a key but if you don't have a buddy to put it on USB for you, auction sites will sell you an SSD with windows pre-installed which could be handy.

Thank you for the prompt reply, much appreciated! I shall continue to read the forum for more advice in addition to your own as you advised.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom