Advice needed on purchasing cheap, kid-friendly runaround

Associate
Here's the situation:

My missus currently owns a 2012 Hyundai i30 (25,000 miles, immaculate condition), which she wants to get rid of for two reasons: (1) because it's a 2-door and therefore not very kid friendly and (2) because she's decided to take a longer maternity leave and we could really do with the money (I'll be the sole income for the next ~6 months :eek:). Valuation sites are telling her it's worth around £5000, so she wants to sell it for that and get something decent for around £3000, that is kid-friendly and reliable.

So, my question is, what are her options in that price bracket?

She said she had a look on the classified sites and all she could get for that money was crap cars with more than 100k miles on them, and she is gutted that she is having to sell her i30. Don't ask me why, but she loves the thing, so if you guys can give me some good advice it will make this rather painful experience a bit easier on her (and me). She's mentioned possibly getting a Focus, but she also likes Volvos, and I think she would prefer an estate (these are good for changing baby's nappies apparently) or an SUV (like a Tuscon or similar).

Soldato
If the i30 is in good condition and running well, is it worth the risk buying an unknown at the lower end of the market which could potentially throw up some bills and waste your time? Likewise, I get that 2 doors are an inconvenience with kids, but I wouldn't see it as a worthwhile reason to change cars.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the i30 is in good condition and running well, is it worth the risk buying an unknown at the lower end of the market which could potentially throw up some bills and waste your time? Likewise, I get that 2 doors are an inconvenience with kids, but I wouldn't see it as a worthwhile reason to change cars.

This is a valid question. Maybe we will buy the car seat first and see if we think we need more doors. We've managed okay with the smaller 0-6 months car seat, but apparently the next one up is bigger. Baby's going to be heavier too.

However, it's also because of the money: downsizing will free up a couple of grand she could really use. She was planning to go back to work in September, but now she's wants to go back in January, which is an extra four months with no money coming in. I'll still be earning and will pay all the bills, the rent, etc, but there are other bills besides those.

Soldato
This is a valid question. Maybe we will buy the car seat first and see if we think we need more doors. We've managed okay with the smaller 0-6 months car seat, but apparently the next one up is bigger. Baby's going to be heavier too.

However, it's also because of the money: downsizing will free up a couple of grand she could really use. She was planning to go back to work in September, but now she's wants to go back in January, which is an extra four months with no money coming in. I'll still be earning and will pay all the bills, the rent, etc, but there are other bills besides those.

You may be better to consider a short 24/36 month PCP with a ford fiesta/focus/astra etc etc and trade your car in for cash back - nominal deposit. Likely to achieve max value then.

On the right deals, they work out at close to 4k-6k or less where the manufacturers are subsidising deals over 2/3 years. You don't own the car, you give it back at the end, but you get something new and reliable and you release all your capital.

Soldato
If you're happy to buy and sell privately then it might be a plan. But realistically you're going to need to be in a position to buy the new car before getting rid of the i30.

But if you're going to be using a dealer then the amount they're going to be taking out of the deal is going to make it a non starter.

Edit: And for £3000 I'd probably be looking at Octavias and Focuses

Associate
OP
OP, is the i30 the only car you have between you both?

No, I have a car (a 2013 Octavia estate, which is great for kids). It would be helpful if I could get her on my insurance, but I checked it out and they wanted £250+ despite her having over a decade No Claims! If I could get her on my insurance we could share most days because I work from home a lot and don't use it. I might try just reinsuring elsewhere with her on, as it might work out cheaper. Then she could get a new(ish) car when she goes back to work.

Caporegime
No, I have a car (a 2013 Octavia estate, which is great for kids). It would be helpful if I could get her on my insurance, but I checked it out and they wanted £250+ despite her having over a decade No Claims! If I could get her on my insurance we could share most days because I work from home a lot and don't use it. I might try just reinsuring elsewhere with her on, as it might work out cheaper. Then she could get a new(ish) car when she goes back to work.

This makes more sense as your i30 will be trouble free motoring. Some 3k car is bound to throw up a £250 bill quite easily.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Swap insurers, give her the Octavia, use the i30, problem solved?

How old is your child? Can you de-activate the front airbag on the i30?

3 doors are a pain with small kids; I understand your pain.
Hell, it was trouble enough getting an isofix base into my old 3-door S3 before my 1st was born. Sod doing that with an actual child :p

Soldato
That's a crazy price. Definitely look elsewhere and add yourself as a named driver if that's cheaper.

I'd advise you keep your Octavia (insure the OT on it) and use that for the kids, sell the i30 if you really need to free up those funds. Sounds like a good car to be getting rid of though if you don't need it.

Associate
OP
Update on this thread: I looked into cancelling my insurance and taking out a new policy with my OH on as well, but turns out that would cost me about the same (£250) as just adding her to my current policy, because the refund on the policy wouldn't be pro-rata.

So, we ended up putting the car on Autotrader (here if anyone's interested). It only went on yesterday and already had three enquiries. One guy is driving ~75 miles to come and see it tomorrow morning, so looks like it will get sold. Hoping to get asking of £5750, or close to it, and then we're going to look for either the previous gen RAV4, a Kuga, or an ix35 (she likes Hyundai).

If this guy wants it, what's the best way to take payment? IBT okay for this kind of thing?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
8G Civic ticks the boxes for family runabout at £3k - it's what I ended up buying so we could fit baby and pram etc in. Boot is huge.

Soldato
Selling good car to get an extra two doors because of perceived ease of having 4 door? Madness.

Do you have kids? It's definitely not just a perceived ease having 4 doors!

For the OP a small estate would be ideal, like you've said they're very handy for nappy changes and they have a level boot floor which makes getting the pram in and out way easier than a hatchback which tends to have a lip.

Petrol Focus estate would be ideal i'd have thought, the i30/cee'd estates look quite good too just make sure it's a petrol.

Back
Top Bottom