Advice... Neighbors Extension Proposal (Victorian Terrace)

Soldato
Presumably based on that drawing they're removing their side-access issues, and by building upto the green line, you're not losing any additional side access - i.e. it's not a shared access.

I can see light being reduced a fair bit, but i don't think those are valid grounds for objections?

Edit: No idea about the boiler though, wouldn't they just be forced to use one of those directional vents to vent the flue upwards rather than outwards towards your property.

Soldato
Presumably based on that drawing they're removing their side-access issues, and by building upto the green line, you're not losing any additional side access - i.e. it's not a shared access.

I can see light being reduced a fair bit, but i don't think those are valid grounds for objections?

Edit: No idea about the boiler though, wouldn't they just be forced to use one of those directional vents to vent the flue upwards rather than outwards towards your property.

Agreed

Permabanned
Good opportunity to extend yours too if that's affordable.
Otherwise - seeing as they were nice about speaking to you, seems fair to speak to them to say you're not happy with it.
Dunno what the planning approval process is, but I'd be checking to make sure they haven't already submitted it and now you're in some sort of limited time period within which to object.

Soldato
If I were asked to bet, I would bet that would be agreed by the planners. Seems a very standard style of extension on the typical ‘L’ shaped Victorian house.

copy theirs and do yours!

Soldato
(can't see the plan, but,) maybe investigate 'right to light'

as a potential neighbour to such an extension,
I'd want to confirm my 'right to light' had not been impinged, whch would give a legitimate claim to protest/injunct the extension.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Rights_to_light

there seems to be some simulators sketchup/velux, which are interesting to evalauate lighting in an extension iteself, for aspect of house.

Caporegime
I'd personally ask the builders and the neighbor if you could do the same would the builders offer a good deal on a double job? It would be less work to do both at the same time than individually.

What he's looking for looks extremely reasonable.

Soldato
OP
(can't see the plan, but,) maybe investigate 'right to light'
Will take a look, thank you.

Is your house really 3.2m wide? Thats absoultly tiny
Yeah. And £714 per sq/ft :)

I'd personally ask the builders and the neighbor if you could do the same would the builders offer a good deal on a double job? It would be less work to do both at the same time than individually.

What he's looking for looks extremely reasonable.
I agree I just don't see myself ever recovering the cost. We are still pot-bound in terms of bedrooms and living space, I just get another 6 kitchen cabinets...

Two walls need steels, drains need moving, boiler needs trashing... I could buy a 3 bed down the road for the cost I imagine!

Associate
What kind of drains are they building near/over? Depending on what they are they are, they will need written confirmation from the drainage provider they can do that (not your problem admittedly but worth knowing).
They will definitely need a party wall agreement from you either section 1 and/or section 6. Look at the planning drawings to see where the new wall will be built, if it’s on the line he will need a section 1 & 6. If it’s away from the boundary only a section 6.

Chances are he will get permission unless it looks an absolute eye-sore, he will still need to apply as it is in a conservation area, even if it is small. There aren’t many grounds you can appeal on though on the face of it. Right to light is a tricky one and there aren’t that many surveyors who deal with it. May be some in the local area that could help but it won’t be cheap.

Soldato
They'll have to go through the planning process and you will have the opportunity to make your concerns known at that point. Until then it may be worth reading up on your local planning policy, to have facts, sound and valid reasons behind any arguments you make against their proposal. Nothing worse than a moaning neighbour - the latter tend to get ignored by planners.

Depending on exact proximity, they may also need a party wall agreement with you, and you can't be any worse off as a result. I have been involved in one where my client had to pay for the neighbour's boiler flue to be removed form a side wall (client was almost building against shared boundary) to through the roof. Client paid all costs.

Building Regs and/or planning conditions will highlight the need to consult with statutory service providers e.g.builidng over drains. Nothing you can do about it.

Soldato
Notice came through yesterday. Ironically they are also asking for a sky light on their 1st floor bathroom due to light issues, and then page two is a note about how it'll stop "no more than acceptable" amount of light through my kitchen :o

We would need party wall anyway as they are planning to build on the boundary and we are within about 2 metres of each other. They would have to disturb my patio to build.

Is there a service I can pay for, for someone to respond properly? Concerned I will just rant and rave and not really make any articulate points.

I believe yes, you can appoint your own party wall surveyor or either ask them to appoint one on your behalf (at their cost). It's 100 pc worth doing. They will generally be impartial. Unfortunaley i havent done a project with party wall for a few years so out of touch about how to get one appointed. Best you phone and speak to a couple of surveyors, they'll point you in the right direction, or they may be some guidance on the party wall notice itself if that's what they have given you.

Soldato
OP
I believe yes, you can appoint your own party wall surveyor or either ask them to appoint one on your behalf (at their cost). It's 100 pc worth doing. They will generally be impartial. Unfortunaley i havent done a project with party wall for a few years so out of touch about how to get one appointed. Best you phone and speak to a couple of surveyors, they'll point you in the right direction, or they may be some guidance on the party wall notice itself if that's what they have given you.
Thanks. I assume the planning process is entirely separate to the party wall decision?

Would I flag issues about building 'on' the boundary now or is it fruitless?

The notice I have received is planning.

Back
Top Bottom