Advice on £3k+VAT Audio Production/Gaming Rig

Associate
Hi, before you call me a rich mofo I've been saving for 10 years for this, currently running a Core i7 920 @3.2 GHz and the only thing I've upgraded since buying my rig 10 years ago has been the GPU (GTX 670 upgraded from GTX 285).

So I have 3k + VAT (i.e. £3.8k inc VAT) to spend and the goal is to use this rig for sound production and gaming.

Currently this is what I'm thinking:

Any other suggestions? NVMe? Intel Optane memory? Any overkills? Anything that can be improved upon?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Designare is a beast of a board for what it does, finally more oriented towards creation then gaming, others weren't as much but shame it's lost the silver PCB :(
Verys are the same as the Aorus ultra-elite so your covered there and one of the coolest if your pushing the overclock and workload hard

Heads up, Aorus 2080ti is currently cheaper ! Also comes with 4 year UK RMA , which at £1200-500 card is a no brainer.

Not sure if Gigabyte rep @GIGA-Man or @Gibbo can give a date of .When Designare would hit shelves

Would personally change for Focus 750w unit or since your doing music production, Straight Power 11 from Bequiet as it's quiet...

Also check out Bequiet Base 601/801 for a case , the amount of sound insulation as well as having a nice class window sound help

Associate
OP
Thanks very much for your reply :)

Great advice on the Auros, sounds like a nobrainer. Yes, quietness is important although I don't record the work I do in the PC room, I mix them there, and the extra levels of quietness does help!

Caporegime
I would buy a couple of 1tb ssd drives aswell as the 500gb os drive and have a thunderbolt external drive for storage...and backup.

Ditch the WD black.

I take it you already have a backup of your audio files ...?

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation. I have one question however. This is a mid tower case meaning the circulation and room won't be as much as a full tower ATX? Isn't the a downside? Because I have plenty of space in my room to accommodate for a full tower.

Like new have been blurred a bit with mid and full tower .
Look at full tower a few years ago and their classes as large sized mids, but with much better airflow in cases .
What's your current case

Associate
OP
I would buy a couple of 1tb ssd drives aswell as the 500gb os drive and have a thunderbolt external drive for storage...and backup.

Ditch the WD black.

This is very good advice although I would prefer having the WD Black than the external Thunderbolt. I don't really move my files around so mobility isn't important to me.
1TB SSD sounds like a good plan in addition to the OS SSD :)

Soldato
I have a very old Antec Titan 650. I won't be using any of my current system as the whole thing will go to my parents.

Yeah, that's classed as a Mid tower in size now .
As you've seen, PSUs are normally on the bottom, the .space for 50mm thick AIO systems at top long with 3x 120fans at the front .

Full towers normally classed as being able to house 3x 140mm fans at the front

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation. I have one question however. This is a mid tower case meaning the circulation and room won't be as much as a full tower ATX? Isn't the a downside? Because I have plenty of space in my room to accommodate for a full tower.

A Full tower can have worse thermals than a mid tower and vice versa. It depends on your fans/fan setup and also the actual case itself i.e Is the front panel solid or mesh. Are there any internal drive cages blocking airflow etc.

Associate
OP

Ditch the WD black.

Perhaps a 500GB M.2 for OS plus 2 1GB SSD drives for everything else?

Associate
OP
To me, the bottle neck looks like the RAM. For such a high spec I would be looking at 32G
Interesting thought, however I hardly use my 8GB as it is. This is because I use a lot of synths and effects. These plugins do need a lot of processing power but hardly use any memory.
On the other hand for someone who would use samples frequently (I'm talking huge, 500 GB libraries) would need a lot of memory, but even then I think 16GB would suffice. And if it is not, it is always easy to add a few memory modules along the way.

Back
Top Bottom