Advice on AV setup

Associate
Hi all,

I'm trying to improve my AV setup for my new build and am really lost atm.
Currently I have:
AKG K702's
Yamaha RX-V673 AV Receiver
Speakers (they're fine)
No Soundcard
and will be getting a relatively decent X570 motherboard.

I currently have hdmi going GFX card > AV Receiver > monitor
and headphones/speakers plugged directly into the AV receiver as well.

This seems like a bad solution but idk what would be ideal. My guess would be the video is ok but I should get an amp to power the headphones and maybe a soundcard? If so I could really use recommendations. Also the AV Receiver is nearing EOL so might replace that soon.

Thanks for any and all help.

Associate
- What speaker setup are you running, 5.1 or 2.0?
- Do you want biaural sound simulation for headphones or do you only want stereo?
- Any requirement for Dolby ATMOS?
- Thoughts on using Dolby Digital over optical into your AV?

Soldato
Personally I just do a HDMI cable from GPU into my AV receiver. A separate Displayport cable from GPU into the Monitor.

I then just select the AV receiver as my audio output from Windows and it works fine (can select various 5.1 options etc). A phantom monitor of sorts appears which represents the AV receiver, but it works fine.

On same rig I do have a separate headphone AMP and DAC and once again without windows control panel, just select that option as the sound output (have it connected via optical) and have no issues.

Associate
OP
- What speaker setup are you running, 5.1 or 2.0?
- Do you want biaural sound simulation for headphones or do you only want stereo?
- Any requirement for Dolby ATMOS?
- Thoughts on using Dolby Digital over optical into your AV?

Sure, that would just require toggling on Windows Sonic would it not?
Nope.
I have no idea.

@Radox-0 Yeah, using Displayport as well would probably lower any delay to the monitor.

Associate
OP
Ah, Biaural sound would require a soundcard instead of onboard, sorry I’m completely in the dark on sound side of things for PC. That'd be preferable but depends on cost I guess.

Associate
Ah, Biaural sound would require a soundcard instead of onboard, sorry I’m completely in the dark on sound side of things for PC. That'd be preferable but depends on cost I guess.

OK this makes it very easy to recomend then as similar setup to me, would highly recomend the Creative G6 external USB headphone DAC/AMP. Loads of features and more than enough power to shatter your ear drums with those headphones you got. Connect to PC over USB and then run optical out to your AV amp.

Associate
OP
OK this makes it very easy to recomend then as similar setup to me, would highly recomend the Creative G6 external USB headphone DAC/AMP. Loads of features and more than enough power to shatter your ear drums with those headphones you got. Connect to PC over USB and then run optical out to your AV amp.

You've given me a lot to think about that I didn't know I'd be considering lol
Been doing some googling on this today and the G6 does look the best option for a gaming focus. The other option that allegedly provide better sound quality is a dac/amp combo like the LDS labs Atom and Topping D10 which is more Audiophile focused for music or w/e.

The difference appears to be the creative software with the D6 for virtual surround, footsteps and so on. So I guess is there standalone software that's just as accessible to get the best of both worlds?

Associate
You've given me a lot to think about that I didn't know I'd be considering lol
Been doing some googling on this today and the G6 does look the best option for a gaming focus. The other option that allegedly provide better sound quality is a dac/amp combo like the LDS labs Atom and Topping D10 which is more Audiophile focused for music or w/e.

The difference appears to be the creative software with the D6 for virtual surround, footsteps and so on. So I guess is there standalone software that's just as accessible to get the best of both worlds?

You can run things like Windows Sonic or Dolby ATMOS for headphones but I find them vastly inferior to the Creative solution. I think Razer do one as well but haven't tried it out.

Some games engines have it built it with varing degrees of success but your milage will vary I'm affraid. Atleast the G6 is a independant of game and you have consistency.

Back
Top Bottom