Advice on chimney cowls?

Associate
Hi all,

bought our first property last year and we're slowly trying to fix the place up, next on our list is getting a cowl on the chimney of a fireplace we're planning to at least make potentially usable. I've had a quick look and frankly have not got a clue. Prices seems to range from 20s to 70s and I've no idea what exactly we need or why?

Can anyone advice where I can look for advice on this as my searching is turning up rubbish links. We essentially just want to make sure there isn't a horrible draft, we can light a fire if we want and we avoid animals nesting or getting stuck.

Thanks for any pointers you can provide!

Soldato
The horrible draft is either one of two things. Downdraft, which is bad and would need an expert to check the health of the chimney and what needs fixing.
Or its the updraft which is what you rely on to take the poisonous fumes away from the fire.

I'm gas registered, but the same principles apply whatever fuel you use, gas, wood etc. But I think the building regs over your way might differ regards flueing and ventilation.
Chimney terminals depend on class of appliance, and flue type. If it's a wood burner, get a registered chimney sweep in and check the chimney and give you some advise.

Mick

Back
Top Bottom