Advice on co-worker taking drugs at work

Soldato
That's weird, I thought it wasn't addictive yet sounds like you're having withdrawals!

Anyone who says it isn't addictive is lying, I'll tell you that much. Though I don't think it is as addictive as nicotine as after a week I was fine. But I've never had a nicotine addiction so I have nothing to compare it to. But that first week really sucks. First few nights I wasn't able to sleep until 5am or so. Even if I did exercise I found it tough. Mind you, I was smoking a lot.

One of the things my partner noticed is that the sweets and food cupboards in general were lasting a lot longer without my ravenous munchies.

Soldato
Several of my friends went from smoking to vaping, most of them soon realised that it was the tobacco that was causing them to smoke weed every day. Once they'd got past the nicotine addiction they found they were able to leave it for the weekends.

Caporegime
Anyone who says it isn't addictive is lying, I'll tell you that much. Though I don't think it is as addictive as nicotine as after a week I was fine. But that first week really sucks. First few nights I wasn't able to sleep until 5am or so. Even if I did exercise I found it tough. Mind you, I was smoking a lot.

One of the things my partner noticed is that the sweets and food cupboards in general were lasting a lot longer without my ravenous munchies.

Oh I agree. I haven't used it in 10 years yet get pangs still!

Soldato
Several of my friends went from smoking to vaping, most of them soon realised that it was the tobacco that was causing them to smoke weed every day. Once they'd got past the nicotine addiction they found they were able to leave it for the weekends.

I stopped smoking tobacco with my joints a year or so ago and didn't really notice missing the tobacco (I did miss the rush nicotine gave though). I think it was more the habit than anything. I'd get home from work and first thing I'd do would roll up. On weekends first thing I'd do would be roll up in the morning. It definitely was a problem. I've bought so many vapes, portable and desktop yet I never use them. It's a ritual thing!

Oh I agree. I haven't used it in 10 years yet get pangs still!
Part of me thinks I should just stop but then it's something I enjoy. I just need to treat it as an exception and not the rule and not be such a fiend. Plus, I don't really drink so I'd be T-total and I'm not sure I'm ready for that sort of life just yet! Those first weeks it was torture if I smelt it whilst out and about. I could've went for a lot longer I think but the postman had dropped stuff off and... well, i decided I'd only have it at weekends and a lot less than I had been accustomed to having

Soldato
Yes it's very obvious and it's a reach to compare drinking intoxication to the effects of smoking a spliff or two.
But I drink regularly, so I'm seasoned and it doesn't affect me, you see...

I've never been unable to see clearly or even see double, lose control of my motor functions to the point i'm a stumbling mess and slurring my speech from smoking.
Clearly you're not getting good ****, then...!! :D

I've never had that from drinking, as it happens, so we're again equal on that point. I wouldn't be swerving all over the road either, I expect... I dunno. I've never actually driven drunk before. I've only ridden a motorcycle drunk.

However, it still does affect you, which is presumably why you're taking it, and that's the key point in all this.
That you wouldn't bat an eyelid about spliff-driving, but would not advocate it either, is rather a shaky argument and even you admit that it would have you driving slower. Other people react differently, as a now-carless former friend of mine will (and did have to) testify.

So it doesn't matter how much you think you are or are not affected by it, you're still driving under the influence of something and you know you shouldn't be. But whatever... I'm sure it will be as fine as you think it will... until the one day when it isn't. If you crash into me make sure you kill me, or I'll remind you about this thread every single day.

Soldato
But I drink regularly, so I'm seasoned and it doesn't affect me, you see...

Clearly you're not getting good ****, then...!! :D
I get my hands on very nice wares thank you very much:p The internet is great at connecting people all over the world

I've never had that from drinking, as it happens, so we're again equal on that point. I wouldn't be swerving all over the road either, I expect... I dunno. I've never actually driven drunk before. I've only ridden a motorcycle drunk.

I take it back. If you can ride a motorcycle drunk I'll sleep soundly as you drive!! I rode my bike a few times after a smoke but I've never felt comfortable!

However, it still does affect you, which is presumably why you're taking it, and that's the key point in all this.
That you wouldn't bat an eyelid about spliff-driving, but would not advocate it either, is rather a shaky argument and even you admit that it would have you driving slower. Other people react differently, as a now-carless former friend of mine will (and did have to) testify.

I'm just not ignorant of the consequences. Same as a few posts up with how people say cannabis isn't addictive - I'm very aware it is! Just if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to pick which I'm driving under the influence of I know which I'd pick.

But whatever... I'm sure it will be as fine as you think it will... until the one day when it isn't. If you crash into me make sure you kill me, or I'll remind you about this thread every single day.

Now we may disagree but I'm not sure I want to kill you over it :D It's OK though, with this short term memory I'll have forgotten soon enough!

I do hope it comes across clearly that I'm not saying people should be driving under the influence of whatever their vice is. or that I'm condoning it. It's one thing to put yourself at risk but another thing to put others at a risk.

Permabanned
The thing is because I smoked it every day I was resistant to it, I knew exactly how much to put in a spliff, I knew exactly what I was smoking, I was young and healthy. The only place which was a nono was work. I smoked at work once and was useless for the rest of the day so never did it again. This is all my personal experience. Someone's experience smoking a spliff once every 6 months will be vastly different.

I never said you do.
However, if it impairs you in any way it is then a factor in your negligence, which can result in you killing someone.
I don't know what the OP's duties are, but if you gave a child the wrong dose of medication or forgot to lock the kitchen knife drawer (or any number of other things, even seemingly minor ones) because you were stoned, then that is negligence. If it results in harm or death, it is your fault and you are ******.

To quote the post above, tolerance does play a big role. And it can catch people out who are new to the experience. If they smoke too much in too short a space of time, they'll soon start to feel dizzy or even a little faint.

If they've really over done it, the feeling of being stoned is akin to that of what must be like paralysis. The effort to move, even slightly, is huge. I think this is caused by blood rushing from your muscles to your arteries for whatever reason, and in turn giving that pale complexion, commonly known as 'whitey'. If the effects continue then they'll need to lie down and pass out. Otherwise, nausea sets in and they're vomiting all over the place.

However, I generally stand by what I said. To someone with a high tolerance, or even just someone who knows their limits, the above just doesn't happen and nor does it dull your senses. But if you want to encompass all scenarios however unlikely they might be, then you're indeed correct as you can become impaired.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
My wife hates anything illegal... no idea why she married someone like me, I think my entire life has been illegal :D but hey ho, ignorance is bliss ;)

Taking things back on topic - he's a carer and should know better. Tell him personally to not smoke whilst on duty, if it continues then go up the chain until someone takes action.

Tolerance or not, his behaviour is inappropriate around children let alone when caring for them.

Soldato
My wife hates anything illegal... no idea why she married someone like me, I think my entire life has been illegal :D but hey ho, ignorance is bliss ;)

It really annoys me that people think it's illegal therefore it's bad for you. As if they government have it illegal due to them looking out for our health!

One day this country will catch up. We can dream. To think America would be ahead of us in progressiveness!

Soldato
Part of me thinks I should just stop but then it's something I enjoy. I just need to treat it as an exception and not the rule and not be such a fiend. Plus, I don't really drink so I'd be T-total and I'm not sure I'm ready for that sort of life just yet! Those first weeks it was torture if I smelt it whilst out and about. I could've went for a lot longer I think but the postman had dropped stuff off and... well, i decided I'd only have it at weekends and a lot less than I had been accustomed to having

It's more mental than anything else, those first couple of weeks are tough though. I'm glad i quit, i feel so much better, and you know whats cool, i can now smoke once a year and get the introspective benefits from it. I smoked like 8 months ago, did a stoner weekend, it was great, thought a lot things through and feel i learned something from the experience, that doesn't happen when you are smoking everyday. When you are using everyday, its a habit rather than a tool.

Permabanned
The amount of green lights I've stopped at is actually an embarrassment :D

5e70liL.gif

I think the most tragic aspect of all this is that someone still smokes weed, why not use a PAX3?

Seen the Mighty with capsules and cbd and it looks like the above gif but still legal. Very impressive. I know people who tend to make mixes though CBD to THC depending on where you need to be that day.

With varying levels of legality on each capsule.

Last edited:
Soldato
I take it back. If you can ride a motorcycle drunk I'll sleep soundly as you drive!!
I can... but if you honestly trusted me under such conditions, I'd call you a ******* idiot for it!!

It's one thing to put yourself at risk but another thing to put others at a risk.
And that's the crux - The OP's guy is putting others at risk.

To quote the post above, tolerance does play a big role.
OK, so what's the test, then?
What's the easy and reliable test I can administer to my staff, by which I can discover their own personal, specific tolerance levels to a given susbtance... before then applying the other easy and realible test to measure how much substance they've taken against this established tolerance level?

Yes, tolerance is a factor and you're absolutely right about all that... BUT - until you can pin down exactly what that is in practical terms, for each and every single individual, you have no argument beyond unusable theory and instead are stuck with simple cover-all laws and a blanket zero-tolerance policy.
This applies to alcohol and other substances too, incidentally, and while my father could down two bottles of Famous Grouse before his driving was impaired to any extent that people would notice, he would still be driving WELL over the legal limit and subject to the fullest extent of the law if ever he had gotten pulled.

If they've really over done it, the feeling of being stoned is akin to that of what must be like paralysis. The effort to move, even slightly, is huge. I think this is caused by blood rushing from your muscles to your arteries for whatever reason, and in turn giving that pale complexion, commonly known as 'whitey'. If the effects continue then they'll need to lie down and pass out. Otherwise, nausea sets in and they're vomiting all over the place.
Yes, and accidents can happen. Gear can turn out to be stronger than you expected, especially a new batch from a different supplier. You can mis-measure or something just as easily. Any number of things can happen, and I've known several my own self.
Either way, you're lying immobile, outright unconscious or stuck curled around the toilet as a direct result of your drug use... meanwhile there's an emergency or something going on with one of the kids for whom you're responsible, and you're thus negligent.
No argument about tolerances would matter at that point, and in seeking to mitigate or eliminate the risk of such things happening it is far easier, simpler and fairer to just ban employees from drugs.

However, I generally stand by what I said. To someone with a high tolerance, or even just someone who knows their limits, the above just doesn't happen and nor does it dull your senses.
Yep, absolutely right - It "just doesn't happen"... until the day it does. I've heard such claims from people quite often and almost every one of them has subsequently had to eat those words at least once.

Soldato
It's more mental than anything else, those first couple of weeks are tough though. I'm glad i quit, i feel so much better, and you know whats cool, i can now smoke once a year and get the introspective benefits from it. I smoked like 8 months ago, did a stoner weekend, it was great, thought a lot things through and feel i learned something from the experience, that doesn't happen when you are smoking everyday. When you are using everyday, its a habit rather than a tool.

Yeah I'm finding I now feel the effects rather than being used to them. Was watching a league of their own last night and it had me in stitches. Not had the giggles in years. I'm going to see how long I can continue only doing it at weekends but I certainly enjoyed it much more than I did when I was smashing through lots daily.

Back
Top Bottom