Advice on first time gaming pc build

Associate
Hey guys iv had abit of advice on this and I think I'm happy with everything so far I just wanted a few second opinions, feel free to make any suggestions along as it dont go to over budget, original budget was 1000 but I think I'm on 1100 at the minute. I'm also not sure about the motherboard either because I know I need to do a bio setup for the ryzen cpu.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Graphics card - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Motherboard - ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4
Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage - Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage - Western Digital RE 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Power supply - SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case - Xigmatek Frontliner ATX Mid Tower Case

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
And also was going to ask if there is a better ram anyone can recommend I dont mind spending a extra aslong as it ain't too much over £100 -150 I like the ones that change colours if there is any good ones available for that price.

Soldato
Couple of changes - the memory is a solid choice - motherboard if 450 get the MSI Tomohawk MAX - see notes:

CPU
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Graphics card - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (The 5700XT AIBs will be released soon - you may want to hold out for one of these)
Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX better board/VRMs- ZEN-2 Compatible out of the box (but may need an update - regardless)
Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Great memory for the money - be sure it has AES in the product code)
Storage - Corsair MP510 950GB (shop around)
Storage - Western Digital RE 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Power supply - SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case - Xigmatek Frontliner ATX Mid Tower Case (Your Pref)

Associate
OP
Is the graphics card your suggesting to wait for supposed to be much better than the 2060s? And I'm guessing it will be more expensive?
And that motherboard should do just fine it isn't that expensive, so I will not have to do a bio setup I will just have to put my build together completely and then do a update is that right?
And the memory is there any chance I can get somthing for the same sort of money and just as good with a light up effect when it changes colour.
And about the storage I thought nvme was essential for fast loading screens?
I'm sorry for so many simple questions I'm new to all this haha.

Soldato
Is the graphics card your suggesting to wait for supposed to be much better than the 2060s? And I'm guessing it will be more expensive?
And that motherboard should do just fine it isn't that expensive, so I will not have to do a bio setup I will just have to put my build together completely and then do a update is that right?
And the memory is there any chance I can get somthing for the same sort of money and just as good with a light up effect when it changes colour.
And about the storage I thought nvme was essential for fast loading screens?
I'm sorry for so many simple questions I'm new to all this haha.
  1. The present 5700XT reference is cheaper/faster - but runs warm - as for the price of the AIBs depends on release price/card you choose.
  2. In theory it should work our of the box - but even if it doesn't it has a flashback feature which means you can update the BIOS without a CPU (you would need a CPU for the Asrock - and the board isn't as ZEN-2 capable/VRMs)
  3. Not that i know of - B-die costs more combined with bling. The sticks you listed are E-DIE and great value and can be clocked/tweaked, similar to expensive B-DIE.
  4. NVMe is not essential you could get by with an MX500 1TB M.2. ~£100 - and save money - no discernible real world speed difference.
  5. No worries.

Associate
OP
  1. The present 5700XT reference is cheaper/faster - but runs warm - as for the price of the AIBs depends on release price/card you choose.
  2. In theory it should work our of the box - but even if it doesn't it has a flashback feature which means you can update the BIOS without a CPU (you would need a CPU for the Asrock - and the board isn't as ZEN-2 capable/VRMs)
  3. Not that i know of - B-die costs more combined with bling. The sticks you listed are E-DIE and great value and can be clocked/tweaked, similar to expensive B-DIE.
  4. NVMe is not essential you could get by with an MX500 1TB M.2. ~£100 - and save money - no discernible real world speed difference.
  5. No worries.
I will have a look into that card inaminute I hope it comes out soon as I was planning on purchasing the parts for this build this week. Are they meant to be better than the RTX variants as I have seen a lot of reviews and they are meant to be the way forward latley.
And sounds good saves a lot of work the only motherboards I could find that comes ready was 150+ I wanted to ask another question, I was originally going to get the ryzen 7 2700x but I had abit of advice that the ryzen 5 3600 is a lot better and it's almost cheaper, is that the right decision?
Ahh okay please keep an eye out if you find any decent ram with "bling" haha but your right performance comes first.

Soldato
I will have a look into that card inaminute I hope it comes out soon as I was planning on purchasing the parts for this build this week. Are they meant to be better than the RTX variants as I have seen a lot of reviews and they are meant to be the way forward latley.
And sounds good saves a lot of work the only motherboards I could find that comes ready was 150+ I wanted to ask another question, I was originally going to get the ryzen 7 2700x but I had abit of advice that the ryzen 5 3600 is a lot better and it's almost cheaper, is that the right decision?
Ahh okay please keep an eye out if you find any decent ram with "bling" haha but your right performance comes first.
The 5700XT has stuck itself in-between the 2060 Super and the 2070 super. Ignoring Ray Tracing (pointless in these cards) - performance favours the 5700XT over the 2060 Super. That said if you don't want a blower card - and wanting to buy now then the 2060 super is the second choice. But i would look at Youtube reviews comparing the 2 cards - the 5700XT comes out best bang for performance buck. (But your choice - buy what your comfortable with.)

If it's a pure gaming PC then the 3600, purely for the IPC. If not then consider the CPUs workload with other apps you use as the 2700X is still a great CPU.

I don't know of any E-die with bling - but the B-die is £119 - even the non 3200MHz b-die bling works out more expensive than the CBS LT which is ~£80 (16Gb). Members have got the CBS LT 3000MHz/3200MHz kits to ~3600MHz with solid timings.

Soldato
@Plec delete the (s*** ar***) before your smited from our being lol . those 2 words done me in

rx 5700 needs a bit more juice over 2060 super - Riotoro 650w is same unit as Focus 650 or cheap out a little for Masterwatt 650w.

focus bit £££ on here

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £191.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

bit more power and same 10yr warranty - about £4 more then hunting for Focus 650w else where

also Crucial P1 NVMe is cheaper then Corsair NVMe but dont tell any corsair staff :D

Soldato
Sticking my oar in here, I've just been messing around with a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 1TB SSD today, and it is as fast and in somethings faster than the Corsair MP510, and uses Toshiba TLC flash RAM. It also is about 33% less cost than the Corsair, which makes it a bit of a steal as you can only find QLC drives at those sort of prices and is the same price as SATA base M.2 drive.

Soldato
Sticking my oar in here, I've just been messing around with a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 1TB SSD today, and it is as fast and in somethings faster than the Corsair MP510, and uses Toshiba TLC flash RAM. It also is about 33% less cost than the Corsair, which makes it a bit of a steal as you can only find QLC drives at those sort of prices and is the same price as SATA base M.2 drive.
Useful info - cheers, @Journey.

@Chris Georgiou - i would adjust your spec accordingly.

@Plec delete the (s*** ar***) before your smited from our being lol . those 2 words done me in
I think your previous 'off-piste' posts accumulated to your brief holiday. :D

If they were to start handing out warnings for the odd vague/innocuous comment they'll lose half their active/knowledgeable members who regularly help in 'New to Gaming and General Hardware Forums'. Plus, all the goodwill that we bring to their store/forums.

I'm sure we generate way more store income/goodwill with our posts (even from lurkers) as i get replies that indicate that newer members think i'm/we're affiliated to OcUK - as they're very enthusiastic about the free help they've received and this probably generates a loyalty to OcUK, by association (doesn't bother me - and don't correct unless they directly imply that i work for OcUK).

*My misdemeanours/mail is restricted to not starring out swear words properly (my bad) - but the mod was very discrete/cool in his dealings with it.

Man of Honour
Members have got the CBS LT 3000MHz/3200MHz kits to ~3600MHz with solid timings.
3733c16 with no effort at all :)
literally no effort.
1) ram 1.4v, soc 1.1v
2) set xmp
3) set ram multi to 37.33
4) set infinity fabric multi to 18.67

done.

Back
Top Bottom