Advice on first watercool build please

Associate
Hi,
I'm a noob to watercooling but not computer building and am looking at my first watercooled project.

Current system:
Thermaltake X5 case
MSI X370 Gaming pro motherboard
AMD 1500 CPU with stock cooler
16GB ram
Samsung 960 1TB NVME for system
3 Samsumg 860 Pro 1TB SSD'd for data and backup
MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X gpu
Noctua 200mm front intake fan
Noctua 200mm top outlet fan
Noctua 140mm rear outlet fan
Linux Mint18.3 Cinnamon

I'm running Folding@Home 24/7 on the CPU and GPU with temps stable at 64c and 72c respectively.

I'm not interested in overclocking so the objective is to make the PC quieter and give myself a fun project to do.

I've looked at combinations of Kits and customisation focussing on EK parts.

My current research has given me three possible sets of parts:

1:
EK A240 base kit
EK MSI GTX 1080ti waterblock
EK extra compression fittings

2:
EK P360 base kit

3:
EK A240 base kit
EK DE 240 extra radiator

Some questions have come to mind that I'd appreciate some advice on:

If I base off the A240 kit is the pump strong enough to add in a GPU and possibly and extra radiator?

Is a single DE 240 radiator enough to cool both CPU and GPU?

If I base off the A360 kit is the 360 radiator enough to cool both CPU and GPU?

Should I consider push-pull fans for the radiators?

Should I retain some (all) of the cooling fans to provide some airflow through the case?

Have I missed anything essential off my parts list?

Have I missed anything 'nice-to-have' off my parts list?

A lot of questions there that my current reading hasn't provided answers to, so any advice would be most appreciated.

Man of Honour
Haven't got a lot of time to fully answer but briefly:

240mm for a 1080Ti & CPU won't be enough, you'll need bigger than that or multiple rads?

It's best to have fans for airflow in addition to the rad fans if possible, some areas of the PC need airflow which a water cooled PC might not give.

Soldato
Without looking at the exact kits and blocks, I'm pretty sure most kits use aluminium components rather than copper. That's fine if you have an aluminium only loop but almost all seperate components are copper and you don't want to mix the metals. So double check if you want to use a kit whether it uses aluminium parts. If it does and you want to add seperate components to it then you'll need a custom loop instead.

Soldato
I have just been through this experience myself and I can safely state these necessaties.

A D5 pump for cpu and gpu loops, cheaper units are good for one or other but not both.

2 x 240mm radiators at least for cpu and gpu loop

At least static pressure fans for the radiators with good exhuast fans on the case, preferably mag levs, but ultimately Noctuas if you want to be super serious.

A drain valve installed somewhere in your system, I didnt and regret every second of it.

Draw pictures and experiment with the layout of the loop, and buy the parts seperately not from a kit, make sure everything is copper and your all good.

Soldato
I’d dump the EK radiators and go with 2x HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS or GTX.

I’m prepared to bet even with one 240mm rad, the Nemesis GTX/S would manage fine. Providing you have a decent set of fans you’ll be golden. The 240mm can cool up to 750w on its own http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/gts/120gts/ click the performance chart.

I ran a heavily overclocked 3770k and GTX 980 with power mods on 2x120mm and a 160mm - Temps were great.

There should be a sticky in this forum - ignore all other radiator manufacturers and buy HW Labs instead lol, they really are that much better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom