Advice on fixing keyboard

Soldato
I have a Logitech G910, the S key cap has came off and two of the four plastic nibs snapped and got stuck in the housing. I've managed to pull one out with pliers, but the second one is in deep and my attempts to get it out has pushed it down further.

Here's a photo prior to me trying to fix it, the one stuck is the left one.
wqdxsi0.jpg

I've tried searching, but does anyone know if the white/clear plastic housing comes off? Can you remove the switches without desoldering?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Soldato
OP
I'd expect it'll be soldered.

Yeah, that was my thoughts on it too.

Fortunately, despite the place I bought it refusing to honour the warranty (begins with e, isn't an auction site), Logitech are champs and are sending me a new one. It got me wondering whether or not I can salvage this one, as Logitech don't want it back.

Associate
Yeah, that was my thoughts on it too.

Fortunately, despite the place I bought it refusing to honour the warranty (begins with e, isn't an auction site), Logitech are champs and are sending me a new one. It got me wondering whether or not I can salvage this one, as Logitech don't want it back.

Why did they refuse warranty? Because of your attempts to fix it? They do seem to have a reputation for trying their best to deny warranty claims all over the place!

Soldato
OP
Why did they refuse warranty? Because of your attempts to fix it? They do seem to have a reputation for trying their best to deny warranty claims all over the place!

I didn't attempt to fix it until after it was refused. They said something like, "due to the age and nature of the problem, we conclude it can only be user damage." Logitech obviously didn't agree with them as I'm typing from a brand new one! I still have the old one, so if I can figure out how to fix it, I'll have two!

Associate
I didn't attempt to fix it until after it was refused. They said something like, "due to the age and nature of the problem, we conclude it can only be user damage." Logitech obviously didn't agree with them as I'm typing from a brand new one! I still have the old one, so if I can figure out how to fix it, I'll have two!

Sounds like a cop out. How old was it?

It never fails to amaze me when etailers basically say its not RMAable ratger than at least try with the manufacturer. Obviously it saves them time/money but its crap and so many people must just accept and waste money on a new product as they dont realise they may have alternative recourse.

Least you got it sorted. As its a spare you could simply fully dismantle it and if anythibg can be done internally, knowing that if its knackered it doesnt matter.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a cop out. How old was it?

It never fails to amaze me when etailers basically say its not RMAable ratger than at least try with the manufacturer. Obviously it saves them time/money but its crap and so many people must just accept and waste money on a new product as they dont realise they may have alternative recourse.

Least you got it sorted. As its a spare you could simply fully dismantle it and if anythibg can be done internally, knowing that if its knackered it doesnt matter.

It was 11 months into a 2 year warranty. The other two, non broken, nibs on the S key cap had stress marks, so it seems the cap was bad. I was talking to Logitech at the same time as the retailer and as I was getting somewhere with Logitech, I just couldn't be bothered with arguing with the retailer. As such, I'll obviously never be using them again.

There is nothing mechanically wrong with the S key, it's just the key cap comes off easily. If I had a dremel, I'd just cut out the bad bits. Currently I have it as a backup keyboard, it works fine on the day-to-day, it just comes loose during gaming sessions.

Back
Top Bottom