advice on going 1x

Associate
i need some help on what to buy

currently running a 2 ring shimano setup on my intense tracer but want to go 1x and ditch the front derailleur
i'm rather portly and not great on climbs so need a granny gear but much better with gravity assisting on downhill sections :)

what do i need to buy?

cassette? (what range)
chain
front ring (what size)
? new rear derailleur

any advice appreciated!

Soldato
What speed cassette are you currently running?

- A 32 or 34 narrow/wide front chainring
- A 40/42t cassette extender and loose one of the middle cogs.

Soldato
Same question here for my Scott Scale 735 with a Shimano FC-M627 38x24 T up front and 11-36 at the back, converted my Cannondale SuperX, but unsure exactly what sort of front cog size I'd need. Contemplating just chucking all the 2x10 off and replacing with 1x11 depending on cost.

Soldato
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-drivetrain/mountain-chainrings/ for some bargain n/w rings at the mo.

What size n/w chainring you get is all about your gearing requirements, off-road fatbikers often choose 28/30/32. For mostly road use, I've been fine with a 34T and 8-speed 11-30 on the Wazoo. Best thing is to throw your 2x gearing into a calculator such as http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html to get the gear inch values, then think about what gears you normally use for the places you normally go and then find a n/w chainring size that gives you similar values.

Soldato
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-drivetrain/mountain-chainrings/ for some bargain n/w rings at the mo.

What size n/w chainring you get is all about your gearing requirements, off-road fatbikers often choose 28/30/32. For mostly road use, I've been fine with a 34T and 8-speed 11-30 on the Wazoo. Best thing is to throw your 2x gearing into a calculator such as http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html to get the gear inch values, then think about what gears you normally use for the places you normally go and then find a n/w chainring size that gives you similar values.

Thanks, will probably plump for a 34T. Only thing I'm thinking is for the south downs but could maybe get an expander when I do that.

Do I need a chain guide or anything to go with this? Or should the narrow wide cope with holding it in place?

Caporegime
Thanks, will probably plump for a 34T. Only thing I'm thinking is for the south downs but could maybe get an expander when I do that.

Do I need a chain guide or anything to go with this? Or should the narrow wide cope with holding it in place?

It should depending on what your riding. I had no issues for ages, started riding rockier trails, and it was no use. Chain was constaly off, I got a oneup guide and everything is good again.

I'd ride without and then see if you need one.

Soldato
It should depending on what your riding. I had no issues for ages, started riding rockier trails, and it was no use. Chain was constaly off, I got a oneup guide and everything is good again.

I'd ride without and then see if you need one.

Cool cheers, most of my riding will be South Downs Way sort of stuff, so not huge great shocks, will see how I get on. Need to check my BCD when I get home.

Soldato
What speed cassette are you currently running?

- A 32 or 34 narrow/wide front chainring
- A 40/42t cassette extender and loose one of the middle cogs.
What he said.

Running a 32t front and hope t-rex 42t extender here and beyond being unfit its a good combo.

South Downs should be fine without a chain device. Assuming narrow wide chain ring and shadow plus mech.

Associate
possibly a bit late to the party as it's a week old, but about 6 months ago I changed my bike from a 2x10 to 1x11 and, like above, I was concerned about losing out on lower gears to help with climbing.

using this gear calculator, to check what ratios I might be losing: http://www.gear-calculator.com/

I know it's not the cheapest route, but I wanted decent parts that would last, so I got:

32T BLACK by Absoluteblack Narrow Wide Oval Single Chainring (direct SRAM mount instead of spider)
Sunrace MX8 11-speed Cassette 11-50
Shimano XTR 11-speed Rapidfire PLUS SL-M9000
Shimano XT 11-speed Rear Derailleur RD-M8000 GS Shadow+
KMC X-11-93 11-speed Chain
Goatlink 11 (to help with chain alignment)

So my Whyte T130S was 22/36 crank and 11-36 cassette and I've basically kept the same granny gear but lost the top gear (my top is a similar ratio to my previous 2nd from top). I hope that makes sense... Generally the new setup is a LOT easier to ride with and I've not had a problem with chain drop, or really anything. Whether I would bother with the Oval chainring again, I'm not sure, as I changed a lot at the time I'm not sure what characteristics are from what components, but I needed a narrow/wide chainring, so why not oval?!?

Back
Top Bottom