Associate
Morning guys - just wanted some advice on GPUs. I built a PC last year:

Ryzen 5 5600x
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 RAM
ROG Strix B550F MOBO

I couldn't get a 6800XT or 3080 on launch so got a stop gap in the form of a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI. Almost a year later, and I can get them now but rather than paying £490 - 570 (MSRP at the point of launch iirc) they're retailing at around £1100.

Is it better to plump for one now, wait a bit in the hope prices come down or is there a better card that will perform similarly well for a more realistic price?

Thanks in advance

Associate
The supply issues are not getting any better and unlikely to improve for the foreseeable future.

You can get a 3000 series GPU at MSRP but it will be a founders edition and they come into stock infrequently and sell out fast.
Install Telegram and join the FE partalert channel so you get updates when they come into stock.
I tried for about a month before I gave up and purchased a 6800 when it came into stock.

Intel releasing GPUs may help supply but we will have to wait and see.

Associate
OP
The supply issues are not getting any better and unlikely to improve for the foreseeable future.

You can get a 3000 series GPU at MSRP but it will be a founders edition and they come into stock infrequently and sell out fast.
Install Telegram and join the FE partalert channel so you get updates when they come into stock.
I tried for about a month before I gave up and purchased a 6800 when it came into stock.

Intel releasing GPUs may help supply but we will have to wait and see.
Is there any downside to an FE card vs the ones I'm seeing on OC and other sites?

Associate
Intel have said they are aiming at similar performance to the 3070ti and I really hope they do hit that target. I always take Intel's pre release claims with a generous pinch of salt and always wait for independent reviews.
Also not out till the new year so quite a wait.

The founders edition cards are smaller, run louder and hotter than AIB cards but they are ok apparently. I don't have one so can't really say.

Associate
OP
Yeah you need to be super lucky to get one. They are pretty much vapourware and sell out instantly.
A couple weeks on from this, and you're right!

Out of interest, are you aware of any alternative cards that would perform similarly? I haven't kept abreast of the TI versions of the 30 series either - are they any good, and any more accessible?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
A couple weeks on from this, and you're right!

Out of interest, are you aware of any alternative cards that would perform similarly? I haven't kept abreast of the TI versions of the 30 series either - are they any good, and any more accessible?

Thanks in advance

Wait on Intel Arc to enter the market and resolve the supply issues. Intel have a huge supply of 6nm wafers. I’m hoping Intel’s strategy is huge volume and high turn over.

Associate
FE drop just occurred in europe, so get on telegram and join fepartalert..may get lucky in next couple days...they've had 3070/3070ti and 3080ti's so far

Associate
Is there any downside to an FE card

They are surprisingly good quality, they are usually fairly cool and quiet most of the complaints have been from memory temps on models with ddr6x during mining, some people have moaned about coil whine.

Personally would stay clear of the 3080ti FE overpriced and LHR

Soldato
Morning guys - just wanted some advice on GPUs. I built a PC last year:

Ryzen 5 5600x
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 RAM
ROG Strix B550F MOBO

I couldn't get a 6800XT or 3080 on launch so got a stop gap in the form of a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI. Almost a year later, and I can get them now but rather than paying £490 - 570 (MSRP at the point of launch iirc) they're retailing at around £1100.

Is it better to plump for one now, wait a bit in the hope prices come down or is there a better card that will perform similarly well for a more realistic price?

Thanks in advance
maybe go for 3060 ti at £700 as stopgap?

Associate
It’s a waste of time.
why? I got a 3080fe, managed a 3070tife via a friend for my son...numerous times I've managed to get them in my basket just to see if I could, same as today, got the 3070, took it out and got the 3080 when that dropped. It's not impossible and I'd rather pay £650 for a 3080 than £1300 from a shop, which is I think the price OCuk sold a couple yesterday at

Soldato
why? I got a 3080fe, managed a 3070tife via a friend for my son...numerous times I've managed to get them in my basket just to see if I could, same as today, got the 3070, took it out and got the 3080 when that dropped. It's not impossible and I'd rather pay £650 for a 3080 than £1300 from a shop, which is I think the price OCuk sold a couple yesterday at

How many have you managed to buy? I’ve had one since Nvidia started the drops. I paid for another but the sale was cancelled and money got tied up.

They seem to vapourware now as everyone and their dog seems to sat on Instagram to buy them for mining.

Last edited:
Associate
How many have you managed to buy? I’ve had one since Nvidia started the drops. I paid for another but got it the sale was cancelled and money got tied up.

They seem to vapourware now as everyone and their dog seems to sat on Instagram to buy them for mining.
2, one for myself, one for my son with friends help..wanted the 3060ti, but 3 drops ago, after failing with the 3060ti when I tried to buy on my phone using his details and watching 3070ti's sell for another 20mins or so and not bothering, next drop I sent him link on drop and he picked 3070ti..not complaining, still cheaper than buying from a shop. If I'd got more of my friends involved, reckon I'd have a fair few by now.

Soldato
2, one for myself, one for my son with friends help..wanted the 3060ti, but 3 drops ago, after failing with the 3060ti when I tried to buy on my phone using his details and watching 3070ti's sell for another 20mins or so and not bothering, next drop I sent him link on drop and he picked 3070ti..not complaining, still cheaper than buying from a shop. If I'd got more of my friends involved, reckon I'd have a fair few by now.

It’s vapour recently. TBH I think some places are using the drops just to switch and bait into you paying the going rate. I haven’t had any luck recently.

Associate
It’s vapour recently. TBH I think some places are using the drops just to switch and bait into you paying the going rate. I haven’t had any luck recently.
You'll need someone else to buy it for you if you already have one. Meant me ringing a friend and sending link which takes a bit more time, but is doable. 1 per household, not just per person..got a 3060ti which i tried to buy with my wife's details but got blocked...when I rang they said it was per household...that goes for bank details also

Soldato
You'll need someone else to buy it for you if you already have one. Meant me ringing a friend and sending link which takes a bit more time, but is doable. 1 per household, not just per person..got a 3060ti which i tried to buy with my wife's details but got blocked...when I rang they said it was per household...that goes for bank details also

I have multiple accounts. They are just impossible to get. Nvidia must have tiny quantities.

Back
Top Bottom