Advice on NHS Fraud charge pls

Soldato
No pharmacy can order medication themselves as the whole process was changed a while ago that repeats can only be requested by either handing in the provided form to the persons registered GP or online if that person is registered for online services and online repeat prescription ordering is available.

If it's using EPS the prescription is sent to the nominated pharmacy in advance and can be prepped well in advanced not someone going to collect.

Caporegime
No pharmacy can order medication themselves as the whole process was changed a while ago that repeats can only be requested by either handing in the provided form to the persons registered GP or online if that person is registered for online services and online repeat prescription ordering is available.

This isn't true, I ring my pharmacy up and they order the medication for me through EPS.

Soldato
OP
how did someone else know your meds were there to pick up? i'm not tracking this story properly. when I get prescripts you give your name and they look, then if they find something they ask your address to confirm.
No idea. All I know is the Sig was not mine and I didn't get the meds. Timing could not be worse really as I am on holiday. I will chase up as soon as I get home and see what is what.

Soldato
This isn't true, I ring my pharmacy up and they order the medication for me through EPS.

As a qualified pharmacist that works in a pharmacy I can tell you that they can't directly order through EPS, we print off a repeat form from the patient's medical record that we have and then that gets sent to the GP surgery usually a member of staff pops over to the surgery during the day or if it's further out the delivery driver does it.

Honestly it's annoying when patient's don't know their exemption, I warn them that they can face a fine and when they do they come back and moan.

TIP FOR ANYONE THAT DOESN'T KNOW THEIR EXEMPTION- ASK FOR AN NHS RECEIPT, you'll pay for your prescription but once you can show proof of an exemption then you can get a refund at ANY pharmacy in England.

Honestly this profession is going to **** don't let your younger relatives get into this profession, it's dying.

If anyone has any further questions about what goes on in an average pharmacy I am more than willing to answer them:)

Soldato
@flibbage0 where does EPS come into play in your pharmacy then?

The PSNC predict you will have little to nothing to do with medicines in the not too distant future and be more about keeping people healthy and used as an extra resource for the NHS in treating minor illnesses. Thrown under the bus by the Gov.

Soldato
@flibbage0 where does EPS come into play in your pharmacy then?

The PSNC predict you will have little to nothing to do with medicines in the not too distant future and be more about keeping people healthy and used as an extra resource for the NHS in treating minor illnesses. Thrown under the bus by the Gov.

EPS is used to send prescription from the surgery to a nominated pharmacy, each pharmacy has a code so they know which pharmacy to send it to. There's two approaches we can either track your prescription using the online NHS prescription tracker which will tell us using a couple of personal details the following:

- Date prescription has been sent
- Where it has come from
- Which pharmacy it has been sent to
- The prescription code so we can manually download it if it's not downloaded automatically

We don't use EPS to send repeat requests, strangely though we still have to print out the electronic prescriptions which makes it a bit pointless, but hey ho.

They are trying to centralise everything, similar to an Amazon distribution model. The Government have written word for word that they want fewer brick and mortar establishments, this means that you won't be able to speak to your local pharmacist for advice. We're one of the few healthcare professionals where you can pop in without an appointment and speak with us in under 10 minutes. Imagine losing that.

I really do like helping people but the amount of cuts that have been made has made it frustrating for not only patients but also pharmacists.

Soldato
@flibbage0 EPS was originally intended for repeat prescription though was it not? Seems daft not to use it for that unless there is another "standard" that it moved to.

Wait until Babylon becomes Country wide and there are only these online only pharmacies, the gov ruining what is a good asset.

Soldato
We don't use EPS to send repeat requests, strangely though we still have to print out the electronic prescriptions which makes it a bit pointless, but hey ho.

My pharmacist hates my GP for this, for some strange reason my GP puts every item I order onto a separate prescription. So if I order five items the pharmacist has to print out five prescriptions and I have to fill out the back of each one.

Man of Honour
how did someone else know your meds were there to pick up? i'm not tracking this story properly. when I get prescripts you give your name and they look, then if they find something they ask your address to confirm.

I have to admit, I’m not really au fait with how the OP gets his meds, and what the kerfuffle is about, but I take regular meds, subsequent to a heart attack in 1995.
I have an app on my phone and iPad, “Patient Access”, all my medical requirements are in it, I open the app, click on what meds I’m running low on, this goes to my GP, the GP presumably checks if I’m due for a new issue, and within 48 hours of requesting the meds, they’re in the pharmacy that I’ve nominated, I can also book an appointment with my GP using the same app.
When I collect the meds, I say to the clerk in the pharmacy, “You may have some meds for me, Jean-François Genou.”
They find them, ask for confirmation of my address, and give them to me.
What surprises me, is that on rare occasions, I’ve called the pharmacy, to ask if my meds are there.
If they’ve said yes, I’ve said, “My wife may come get them, if I write a note and sign it, will that be okay?”
They’ve always said, “No need for a note, just tell her to give us your name, and we’ll give them to her.”

Soldato
Wow you are a jerk!.
I paid the fine because they told me they had irrefutable evidence against me which they would send me but by the time I got it the fine would go up by £50. I was 90% sure I had not claimed but when I am told they have the evidence in front of them it made me think I had made a mistake.
I think it has changed now but speeding offences used to have a similar scam going.... You got the fine but if you wanted to see the photo evidence by the time you got it the early payment discount would pass
It's GD m8, all are jerks

Associate
always ask to see the evidence and put it into dispute and if you have done it offer to pay the original fine and for them not the added penalty.

Soldato
OP
I would have said "before I pay I would like to see the evidence". Simple as that innit.
I did. To which they said they would send the proof in the post BUT that it would likely not arrive before they put the price up, indeed I am on holiday now and was not expecting to get the evidence before I got home. As it happens it arrived the day i left for holiday.
With hindsite I should have stuck to my guns and insisted my innocence but when I am told that they are looking at nailed on evidence against me then it made me question myself.
Regardless of what happens from this point on I think the whole system stinks to be honest , mostly due to the attitude I was shown when protesting my innocence.
Luckily I can afford the cash hit however that is not the point it is the principle of it, I don't appreciate being called a fraudster and for some people £105 with the threat of £155 could be a real problem

Permabanned
that would have been their fault! you need to see evidance before paying, you should have told them you would not be paying anything until the evidance is there and if it doesn't arrive in time then it won't be paid. You shouldn't have paid that what so ever.

Challenge it asap and don't leave it without the evidance.

Soldato
OP
bit of an update (appologies for the dupe post i am a bit frazzled with stuff and forgot i had posted)

I have had multiple emails, phone calls (always polite even when 1 person hung up on me) and was told to do a hand written letter which i did..... ultimately
I asked then later demanded my money back, told them they could then increase the fine if they chose and take me to court, they said me paying the fine was an automatic admission of guilt - I argued it wasnt but i was bullied into it due to being lied to about them having concrete proof against me and the threat of increasing the fine.

they have now got back to me and said IF the pharmacy will confirm I didnt pick up the medication, and IF no one else did it on my behalf via a headered written letter they will refund me. I will go see them tomorrow but am not expecting much given my last conversation with them. My only hope is i will ask them why they gave my medication out on such a poorly filled in form. (illegable sig only and the box for prepay checked everythnig else blank)

if that fails then i guess i am at a loss.

I asked how i could have protected myself from this happening to which i was told........ dont give people i do not trust permission to pick up my meds on my behalf AGH at this point i think they are trolling me!!!!!

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a strange one because from what I can tell there is very little you can do to protect yourself from this. My issue is still ongoing. i will update if it gets resolved.

3 weeks ago I got a letter claiming i fraudulently claimed for 2 prescriptions. I used to have a prepay form but i let it expire as i had a backlog of my athsma meds. the prepay ran out on 30th Nov 18.

According to the letter on the 6th of december I collected 2 prescriptions and ticked the prepay box. For this i was fined £105 (price of the prescriptions + a fine of 5x the price of the prescriptions.

I phoned up, said I had not taken the medication, NHS said they had definitve proof i had, they would send the evidence but in the mean time my fine would go up by £50 if i did not pay right away. I went to the pharmacy and they said according to their records i had collected it on the 6th december, but they did not have the details, just that i had collected.

At this point i began to question if i had made a mistake (even though i have my unused meds in date order even now and the last one was collected 13/11/18.... But I figured anything is possible so I contacted NHS and said that due to what they told me and what pharmacy toldme it did look like I had made a mistake but that it was clearly an error and not fraud. Could i just pay the prescription charges and drop the fine.... They said no... and again told me the price would go up by £50 if i did not pay. I was about to go on holiday, so i paid, but said i wanted a copy of the prescription, and if it was dodgy i would ask for a refund. The lady was ok with this so i paid (big mistake).

just got back from holiday......i have the copy of the prescrption, clearly not my signature, it is illegable, and it is not filled in correctly at all. no details at all just blank prescription with a squiggle sig and the box checked for "i have valid prepay card".

everything else such as the "i am collecting this for someone else" or "print name and address if different from printed over leaf" are blank.

I went to the pharmacy, they do not recognise the sig, have no cctv and have no idea what happend.
after many emails, phone conversations and a hand written letter, NHS keep saying "i need to be more careful when giving people permission to pick up my medication".... I keep telling them NO ONE HAS SUCH PERMISSION apart from my wife (and it wasnt her)

I asked then demanded my money back, told them they could then increase the fine if they chose and take me to court, they said me paying the fine was an automatic admission of guilt - I argued it wasnt but i was bullied into it due to being lied to about them having concrete proof against me and the threat of increasing the fine.

they have now got back to me and said IF the pharmacy will confirm I didnt pick up the medication, and IF no one else did it on my behalf via a headered written letter they will refund me. I will go see them tomorrow but am not expecting much given my last conversation with them. My only hope is i will ask them why they gave my medication out on such a poorly filled in form.
if that fails then i guess i am at a loss. I asked how i could have protected myself from this happening to which i was told........ dont give people i do not trust permission to pick up my meds on my behalf AGH at this point i think they are trolling me!!!!!

anyone here have any experience of this kind of thing? possible pharmacy workers?

thanks

Advice here

Back
Top Bottom