Advice on PC Build for son (1st build)

Associate
I'm helping my son to build a PC for his school work/gaming but am a complete novice at all this and would greatly appreciate some pointers if possible.

I have gathered together a list of parts as follows. I am definitely trying to keep costs down where possible:

Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4, AMD B550
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT Mech OC 6GB
SSD - 1TB Crucial P1 M.2
SSD - 1TB WD Blue SN550
RAM - Vengenance Pro 16GB (2 X 8GB) Corsair DDR4
RAM - Vengenance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 (3200)
Power supply - 650W Corsair CV Series 80PLUS Bronze
Power supply - 650W Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 80PLUS Gold
Case - NZXT H510 Mid Tower Chassis
Extra fans - 120mm Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO, 9 Blade, 8 LED Addressable, Triple Fan Pack

But I am a little confused about what else I need and have some questions as follows, if anybody would be so kind to offer their expertise:

1. Would the above function as a gaming machine / be able to handle graphically demanding AAA stuff?
2. Will the stock CPU cooler (Wraith Stealth) be sufficient? I don't know what overclocking is, but should my son attempt this at any point, will the system be able to handle it?!
3. What other fans will I need? My son wants some RGB fans ideally so would I need 2 or 3 Case fans to keep things cool?
4. Does the RGB stuff (fans / RAM) just automatically light up when plugged into the motherboard, or do I need any other components / software to achieve this?
5.To get Wifi into the machine, do I just need to but a separate card for the motherboard and does this need some sort of antenna (which would need to be bought separately too)?

I appreciate it's a lot of questions - Thanks so much in advance for any tips on the above!

Best,

Ben

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

Rgb memory should work plugged straight in case fans some have built in controler and some can also be connected to the motherboard .

You should aim for 3200mhz ram its optimal speed for the 3600. The cooler on the 3600 is adequate but can be noisy .

5600xt is good for gaming depending on resoloution.

Wifi you can get a pcie wifi card this will have an antenna or a usb Wi-Fi. Motherboard maybe you could changec to one with built in wifi.

Psu is low end budget model spending a bit more on a quality unit would be my advice.

Mickyflinn - thanks so much for the info. The memory info is particularly useful but some other good points too.

Associate
OP
Thanks for this Lee32uk.

That's great to know an alternative power supply. Is 650W the minimum I need or could I go lower for my build?

Also, is that Wireless USB adapter everything I need for Wifi, or would I need to purchase a separate card? Would the signal be strong enough?

Cheers for the help,

Ben

Associate
OP
Yes, but available cheaper elsewhere. And not by a couple of quid either.
Thanks for the heads up.

Apart from some extra fans, this is what I have at the moment.

Cheers to all for the help so far.

Just need to be patient waiting for the graphics card (had no idea these were currently so hard to get):

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £964.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You've all been v helpful so far, thank you.

I have one more query before purchasing the build.

I'm having trouble sourcing the original Graphics card so have switched it to the following, which hopefully will be arriving at the end of March:

GPU - PNY NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Dual Fan Turing Graphics Card

ni6GCBFy-UJimn0Dt_u4XjJfvNVkXhBU-N9iruvuTIirLxwVpAHwh-batCxfdpv4zZ31puo98UVbMOqmU4JY1Cry5pjRInUormdCrnGsopGAYydTgcT8LYbgaZ-qBqJgCw1WDotl5y9Mh4XaWq0HsLDNdkU8OeEzqrMr-TN7CJRmeA-6vkj5ChFPUAdb4iUAvqptPmYP3Jb9oECP4LBJy7vMF0WwLV6kjf8K776hQbq9s6sf8huAzKyORHJQiTZSKRH-vMrF188MNJ9wt1DcgpFRyhDjDL5Hfj48FkA7zZPFDXZXGqCI3f2fz1xc2IP8hrWJ-Q0CyrSFDr_ZEnYoVRXsFupkFzlTdUrNfJOH-usLrr_naTEbjGPRVCgMQQmaCbi56JxOAhg_EabnEhXgdTFJQyabCfoxs1LlHpYzWPMqqDDuIHIFf918j1L6tACAdRqV0O9zvafMP3RN2Qx7vo-rKtuMBUzcw3Q1cneeVD7Bn9Otou7u77ri6WKYgWx2dBu20DvP5tYbaq2t72lT3chErCq0R3nNTxnzaal2WuNcyeuO6oyOp4A5gJzQyIFljR4odMSEue6NcecRdQV8cNOj29z9NMmYpmPMk3lyqTF36ftcVXlkm4puiVEuW-77UPAHBvK7XmSrVuwE_Bky9viKAmYreH-F1K6f5ciBzPruzFOpFF0ivIG6JJi6PhH3YRiIT1oxFFydtyFRZLrCbpM=s1030-no

Is this an OK card and will it work with the set up below?

Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4, AMD B550
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - PNY NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Dual Fan Turing Graphics Card
SSD - 1TB WD Blue SN550
RAM - Vengenance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 (3200)
Power supply - 650W Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 80PLUS Gold
Case - NZXT H510 Mid Tower Chassis
Extra fans - 120mm Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO, 9 Blade, 8 LED Addressable, Triple Fan Pack

Also, my son believes that, worst case, we can build the PC without the graphics card and it will be useable for word processing etc. Just not gaming!! Is this true?!

TIA

Back
Top Bottom